M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

New Multi Contour Seat c/w Massage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
New Multi Contour Seat c/w Massage

I know these are new to ML but does anyone have an opinion? Like? Not worth it? Maybe hate them?
I'm thinking with ride height leaning or country road jostling they would be great to have and I like to lean into turn sometimes LOL.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 AM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
Originally Posted by dougiebear
I know these are new to ML but does anyone have an opinion? Like? Not worth it? Maybe hate them?
I'm thinking with ride height leaning or country road jostling they would be great to have and I like to lean into turn sometimes LOL.

Yes, definitely get them. I have ordered them on my MY13 ML550.

I think the ML seats are uncomfortable as-is. Maybe because I have long legs and I'm a little chunky, but I find the seat bottom does not give me enough under-thigh support...on the MY12 M-class seats I feel like I'm sitting on a little stool (especially compared to my old X5 that had Multicountour seats that were highly adjustable and felt very roomy as a result). The Multicontour seats in the ML13 should be able to be configured so they extend out the bottom of the seat, making the seat actually larger lengthwise.

And if you like to take sharp corners, especially with ACTIVE CURVE, then they are really a must, so you can adjust the side bolsters to keep you tucked in nicely. Or else you or your passenger (especially a small woman or child) could be sliding back and forth with every turn.

They also have a massage function (haven't tried). And they have a 'comfort headrest,' but I have yet to find a description of what that means. Does anyone know?

The door memory button remembers all of your settings. The new S-class has them, so you should be able to try them out at the dealer.

Last edited by gplank; 04-18-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:10 AM
RJR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 ML350 2017 C63S Cab
I have these seats in my SL. The Multi contour is nice with lots of adjustments but the massage feature is pretty worthless. I am only 165lbs and I can barely feel it. I like the seats in the new ML. My wife had a 2007 ML and I thought the seat bottoms stuck out to far and always bothered the bottom of my thighs. The 12's definitely have a shorter bottom cushion.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 AM

'15 GL350 Bluetec
I had these seats in my E. They were also active (not sure if the ML ones are) which was pretty cool, as they would actively adapt as you cornered. the massage was OK, but nothing special.

I didn't find that the seat cushion was greatly extendable. This may not be the case with M-B's newer Multi-Contour seats, but in the '05 E, the seat cushion depth was not much greater, maybe an inch or so.

Having said all that, I would order them again.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
They're well worth the price of admission, especially if you have a smaller frame. They allow you to sit "in" the seat rather than "on" it.

I have it (driver's side only) on the E and I have the old style (non-active) in the GL. Would have ordered on the ML had it been available.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:39 PM

2011 E550 Sport (traded), 2012 SLK 350; 2013 GL450 on order for OCT delivery
The multi-contour seats in the S-Class are different than in the E-Class and, I assume, those in the M-Class.

I had them in my 2008 S550 (that was the main reason for choosing that cat at the time). The massage was very effective having several different settings and working the seat bottom and back. I have them in my 2011 E550, and the massage is not very effective -- works only the seat cushion and is more of a vibration than a massage. The adjustability of the seat bottom length and the side bolsters as well as the automatic inflation of the side bolsters when turning is a good feature in the E550.

I am on my way to the dealer now to look at a ML350 and a GL450. I am interested to compare the seats.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:47 PM
RJR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 ML350 2017 C63S Cab
Originally Posted by scfishnman
The multi-contour seats in the S-Class are different than in the E-Class and, I assume, those in the M-Class.

I had them in my 2008 S550 (that was the main reason for choosing that cat at the time). The massage was very effective having several different settings and working the seat bottom and back. I have them in my 2011 E550, and the massage is not very effective -- works only the seat cushion and is more of a vibration than a massage. The adjustability of the seat bottom length and the side bolsters as well as the automatic inflation of the side bolsters when turning is a good feature in the E550.

I am on my way to the dealer now to look at a ML350 and a GL450. I am interested to compare the seats.
Huge difference in the 2 seats. The GL seats are pretty much the same as the older ML's The new ML's are much nicer. My wife had a 2007 ML and I hated the seats. If they did not change the seats we would have not ordered the new one.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:07 PM

I want them, but my SA says if I order the multi-contour seats, my MY13 ML550 will not be produced on the first run mid-June because of no supply for the seats...it would not be made until the next run in August sometime. This is the same dealer who first said the Pano roof would delay it like this, then a week later said no, it would not. They also say they can put in a order right now.

I called around to different dealers and have heard different stories. One dealer says he is seeing no delay for any option, but cannot put the order in right now, maybe next week.

Another dealer says no delay for the multi-contour seats, because they are so common now on some other models, but there will be a delay for the Active Curve System, which for the ML is more unique. They say they can't put an order in until the last week in May, when the pricing is set.

Why can't I get a consistent story? How do I get to the definitive truth?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by gplank
I want them, but my SA says if I order the multi-contour seats, my MY13 ML550 will not be produced on the first run mid-June because of no supply for the seats...it would not be made until the next run in August sometime. This is the same dealer who first said the Pano roof would delay it like this, then a week later said no, it would not. They also say they can put in a order right now.

I called around to different dealers and have heard different stories. One dealer says he is seeing no delay for any option, but cannot put the order in right now, maybe next week.

Another dealer says no delay for the multi-contour seats, because they are so common now on some other models, but there will be a delay for the Active Curve System, which for the ML is more unique. They say they can't put an order in until the last week in May, when the pricing is set.

Why can't I get a consistent story? How do I get to the definitive truth?
August production, limited supply.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:53 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Did you actually get a build date in June? Our factory friend says they shutdown first 2 weeks july so only week or two run in June. Seat builds start in Aug. They can paper order I think but not on factory system. Delays will happen sometimes. The seats should be fine. After a 2 week down lots of stock should be available. Sucks to be us but dealers know so little SA's no less LOL sorry YYZ(excl)
Pricing will likely be after firsT delivery getting common that way. Car gets there first.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:26 PM

Yugo
Did you actually get a build date in June? Our factory friend says they shutdown first 2 weeks july so only week or two run in June. Seat builds start in Aug. They can paper order I think but not on factory system. Delays will happen sometimes. The seats should be fine. After a 2 week down lots of stock should be available. Sucks to be us but dealers know so little SA's no less LOL sorry YYZ(excl)
Pricing will likely be after firsT delivery getting common that way. Car gets there first.
What does SA stand for, sales assoc.?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by 50cent
What does SA stand for, sales assoc.?
Yep....but given my recent experience, I can think of other things those letter would mean in reference to my clueless sales adviser.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 PM

Nope...never was given an exact build date in June. Just it seems there is a general understanding per MB internal memos that the first MY13 ML build will be in the first half of June.

It would be one thing if my dealer could promise me if I wait for the August build I'll get everything I want. But they say that while the seat might be available, they can't promise that something else might go scarce and can't be added in the meanwhile. They are quickly loosing me as a customer. This is nothing like my experience with BMW, who never played these kind of games with me.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:11 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Build date

Our friend Greg in Oregon has a build of June 12 for his 2012 probably last truck of 2012 so 13's sometime after that. Our factory friend Velociraptor says a 8 car gap between model year change over and they shutdown 2 weeks in July....
so judge accordingly.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Nope...never was given an exact build date in June. Just it seems there is a general understanding per MB internal memos that the first MY13 ML build will be in the first half of June.

It would be one thing if my dealer could promise me if I wait for the August build I'll get everything I want. But they say that while the seat might be available, they can't promise that something else might go scarce and can't be added in the meanwhile. They are quickly loosing me as a customer. This is nothing like my experience with BMW, who never played these kind of games with me.
My MY12 build finishes 6/15. Maybe the last one? Anyhow, regarding the seats, I would trust YYZ's info that you're looking at August build at earliest for those. Pano, 20" wheels, Active Curve and Lighting are all options that seem to be in limited supply, but it's hard to get definitive info in advance of ordering. That's why I stayed with the '12. The Sport Seats (P95 package) are another option that may not delay you, but you never know.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
FYI update the multicontour seats are NOT dynamic. Just adding massage to the general fit air bolsters. I'm passing since not Dynamic
Old 06-08-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
August production, limited supply.

Now I am hearing September production for the Multi-contour seats, and only ML550 configs can order them.

Has anyone been able to place an actual 2013 ML order that includes the Multi-contour seats?
Old 06-08-2012, 01:51 PM

335i
Now I am hearing September production for the Multi-contour seats, and only ML550 configs can order them.

Has anyone been able to place an actual 2013 ML order that includes the Multi-contour seats?
I added Multi-C seats and it bumped me from 1st decade August to 1st decade September.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rush1169
I added Multi-C seats and it bumped me from 1st decade August to 1st decade September.
Same here, scheduled for 2nd decade September on my 2013. I don't imagine it will actually get built with the seats though.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Same here, scheduled for 2nd decade September on my 2013. I don't imagine it will actually get built with the seats though.
Why so pessimistic?
Old 06-24-2012, 02:38 PM

LS430, GL450, SL550
Are the 2013 ML multicontour seats the same as the 2012 E multicontour seats?
Old 06-24-2012, 02:45 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Originally Posted by rcf8000
Are the 2013 ML multicontour seats the same as the 2012 E multicontour seats?
Depends what country u live but generally NO!
E is driver only and is dynamic(adjust to turns). The ML everywhere is only massage and NOT dynamic.
FYI. Last 2012 was built on June 20

Last edited by dougiebear; 06-24-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:09 AM

2013 G63, 2015 S500, 2016 C63 coupe
had it in my E60 M5, awesome tool when cornering. But would you be taking the ML into such high speed corners?

As for massage function, we've had it in all our S-classes, but only used it once.

If the seat will provide roomier options, def get it. If not i'd rather save the money.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by BlackSL
had it in my E60 M5, awesome tool when cornering. But would you be taking the ML into such high speed corners?

As for massage function, we've had it in all our S-classes, but only used it once.

If the seat will provide roomier options, def get it. If not i'd rather save the money.

Yes, with Active Curve, it will be easier to take corners 'corner flat.' I had the multi-contour seats on my former X-5, and they were helpful in stopping me from sliding around on the seat while taking sharp turns or driving through the hairpin turns in the mountains.

But as you indicate, the real clincher is the fact that I believe they will make the seat roomier lengthwise and provide more 'under thigh' support by extending the seat bottom forward. That was the best part of the X5 seat, in my experience. The ML will do it differently, by moving the entire seat bottom out, I assume, rather than just a little section, as in the X5....which is fine.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:04 AM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
NOT the same seats.
These are not dynamic.
But might help with thigh comfort

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Multi Contour Seat c/w Massage