M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Decided for 2013 ML-63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by jean7of9
YYZ: I will sincerely appreciate if you can also check the option for the "Surround Camera" which will be super useful while maneuvering around snow Banks or parking in tight spaces without any need to open the door.
Both Dealers told me their quotas of ML-63 AMG is two (2) units only for 2013. I intend to sign on Tuesday 4/24 to book the earliest delivery.
I saw today a 2013 ML-63 AMG Diamond White driven by the GM. It is stunning. It has the 3M protection film on part of the hood and bumper. They charge $400 and is guaranteed for life. I will order it as additional protection for that expensive paint.
This info applies to MY13 ML 63 for Canada:
289 (wood wheel) - special order option on ML63; you lose the thick-rim, flat-bottom AMG wheel and get the base wood wheel as would be installed in ML350. Paddle shifters remain, but they are likely the plastic paddles, not the aluminum ones on the ML63. I cannot verify this info any further because the wood wheel hasn't been offered in Canada on ML63 so I've never seen one.

942 - EASY-PACK is optional equipment, available on ML63.

883 - soft close doors now available.

Surround-View is delayed until MY14.

Last edited by YYZ-E55; 04-24-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML-63 AMG- 2010 C350 4matic
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
This info applies to MY13 ML 63 for Canada:
289 (wood wheel) - special order option on ML63; you lose the thick-rim, flat-bottom AMG wheel and get the base wood wheel as would be installed in ML350. Paddle shifters remain, but they are likely the plastic paddles, not the aluminum ones on the ML63. I cannot verify this info any further because the wood wheel hasn't been offered in Canada on ML63 so I've never seen one.

942 - EASY-PACK is optional equipment, available on ML63.

883 - soft close doors now available.

Surround-View is delayed until MY14.
YYZ: I am grateful for your help. I will be on my way to the Dealer shortly. He came to life suddenly and strongly after he found out that he is losing this sale to a different Dealer. This morning, I will have a 2012 ML-63 AMG at my disposal for a test drive and other favorable terms. I do not need the very low interest rate since I am paying cash. I will let you know how it goes.
For your info, I visited yesterday MB Blainville. Excellent professional cooperation. That is what I call a "Mercedes Treatment". Nice modern outfit and highly trained personnel. Many of my neighbors enjoy their "Valet Service" which was pioneered by Lexus in 1990.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Paddle shifters remain, but they are likely the plastic paddles, not the aluminum ones on the ML63.
Hmmm, wonder if those nice paddles can be retrofit to other models, or if they are compatible only with the ML63 wheel?

Old 04-24-2012, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Hmmm, wonder if those nice paddles can be retrofit to other models, or if they are compatible only with the ML63 wheel?
As I said, I could be wrong about the ML63 with wood wheel and which paddles it gets. We don't offer the wood wheel on the ML63 here, so I've never seen one. The equipment listings from Germany don't clearly indicate what you get.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 AM

2011 M3, 2012 ML63
The plastic ones are not bad but the metal ones are much nicer. Hard to know if it can be retrofitted.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:14 PM

I finalized my deal and committed to a 2013 ML-63 AMG. The Dealer allocated me one reserved for August manufacturing with delivery for September 2012. He will re configure the car to my preferences.
I test drove the 2012 ML-63. Most pleasing experience for car lovers. The engine roars when requested then settles down instantly to a silent drive for a whisper talk. I drove it on purpose on back bumpy roads. It absorbs the road imperfections with style and comfort. No hard shake at all even with deeper holes. City driving is smooth and very civilized for a 518 HP speedster. Unlike most mega HP sports cars. The control panel lights and indicators are easy to read and change contrast immediately under thick clouds. The Back-Up Camera is such an improvement on the previous cameras in resolution and line guidance. The sitting behind the wheel projects the feeling of total control and self assurance. I only felt such feeling behind the wheel of a Range Rover. They call it Captain’s Seat. After the test drive I signed the contract.

The Sports Steering Wheel has an excellent grip and designed comfortably to keep both hands on the wheel, unlike my both Wood Leather Wheels. That excellent grip with the flat bottom made me drop my requirement for the Wood Leather Steering Wheel.

YYZ: Thank you for all your efforts and guidance. I am very satisfied with my choice.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Sports Steering Wheel has an excellent grip and designed comfortably to keep both hands on the wheel, unlike my both Wood Leather Wheels. That excellent grip with the flat bottom made me drop my requirement for the Wood Leather Steering Wheel.
Glad you changed your mind. The AMG wheel is a much better choice overall.

Since you're an August build, you should be able to get 399 Multicontour seats - a great investment. And unless you've got kids, skip the running boards
Old 04-24-2012, 04:49 PM

Glad you changed your mind. The AMG wheel is a much better choice overall.

Since you're an August build, you should be able to get 399 Multicontour seats - a great investment. And unless you've got kids, skip the running boards
I did not order the running boards. I felt very comfortable with the Designo Seats. I had Multicontour seats before when I were few years younger. I am no longer a racer but mostly a defensive driver. My car will never go on the track or off road.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did not order the running boards. I felt very comfortable with the Designo Seats. I had Multicontour seats before when I were few years younger. I am no longer a racer but mostly a defensive driver. My car will never go on the track or off road.
Good call on the boards.

Might I suggest that you invite your wife to sit in an E-Class with the multi-contour driver's seat and have her test the massage function before you make a final decision? My mother can't get enough of it; heck, she even likes the active bolsters (she's not young and she drives her age).
Old 04-24-2012, 11:27 PM

Good call on the boards.

Might I suggest that you invite your wife to sit in an E-Class with the multi-contour driver's seat and have her test the massage function before you make a final decision? My mother can't get enough of it; heck, she even likes the active bolsters (she's not young and she drives her age).
I will, but cannot guarantee the results.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 AM

What is "Anti-Fog Sensor"

I have the detailed factory equipment of my 2013 ML-63 AMG. In the Standard Factory Options List I could not identify this item:
"1U7-1U7-Anti-Fog Sensor".
Any One knows what it is.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
I believe it Auto senses when to turn on & off the windscreen demister.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:04 PM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
Originally Posted by iankayem

Either that or Mercedes has a new unannounced advanced safety technology that senses and then disperses any fog appearing in front of your car as you drive so you can clearly see the road ahead. It cannot be ordered along with the fog lights, as they would be no longer needed.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by iankayem
iankayem: Thanks.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
what is this option of seat? It gives more lateral support like a bucket seat?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by EVOII_Racer
what is this option of seat? It gives more lateral support like a bucket seat?
If you are asking about the Multi-contour seats, they are special seats which can be adjusted to hug your body while massaging it. Before 2013, the Multi-contour seats were dynamic, that means they adjust automatically to your shape and hug you tight on corners, while massaging you at 150 mph. The 2013 seats need to be adjusted manually. I am enclosing a pic of a MB multi-contour seat for your info. I am not sure its a W166 seat.
Attached Thumbnails Decided for 2013 ML-63 AMG-mercedes-multicontour-seats.jpg  
Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 AM

Mercedes Evo II
If you are asking about the Multi-contour seats, they are special seats which can be adjusted to hug your body while massaging it. Before 2013, the Multi-contour seats were dynamic, that means they adjust automatically to your shape and hug you tight on corners, while massaging you at 150 mph. The 2013 seats need to be adjusted manually. I am enclosing a pic of a MB multi-contour seat for your info. I am not sure its a W166 seat.
Exactly thanks for the info.

Are the multi-contour seats an option on the W166 ml63 or it comes standard in Europe?
I don't remember seeing the option so it better come with my ml
Old 08-08-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by EVOII_Racer
Exactly thanks for the info.

Are the multi-contour seats an option on the W166 ml63 or it comes standard in Europe?
I don't remember seeing the option so it better come with my ml
In North America, the Designo multi-contour seats are an option. The ML-63 comes with Designo Seats as Standard for Canada and USA. I cannot answer for the European configuration.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:22 AM

Mercedes Evo II
In North America, the Designo multi-contour seats are an option. The ML-63 comes with Designo Seats as Standard for Canada and USA. I cannot answer for the European configuration.
Very interesting.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge Sir!

And congrats cause your ML 63 will be sick I can't wait for the pictures!!
Old 08-18-2012, 12:29 AM

2011 Porsche 911 Carrera,07 S550. 2010 E350 4matic, 05 Honda Accord V6.
I ordered one as well

I ordered MY13 ML63 AMG going in production on Oct, delivery on Nov.

Diamond White
Black Designo leather
Designo Black Dinamica Headliner
Driver/Passenger Multi Contour Seats w/ M
Panorama Sunroof
3-zone automatic climate control
Anthracite Poplar wood trim
Harman Kardon
Rear Seat Entertainmnet system
Heated rear Seat
Land Tracking package

I traded Porsche because of their lack of service quality and bad dealer service. The car was a find craft, except few owners experience engine blow on 997.1 engines. Once you blow 911 engine, you expect to pay 15k for replacement engine which is not brand new, or I should say remanufactored engine if you are out of warranty. I had various issues with Porsche dealer service which I never expected from Porsche. Basically Porsche is much smaller company compare to Mercedes or BMW, their head quarters can't control the dealers as much as big companies. So the dealers operated by their own rules and guide lines. In addition to this, there is much less competition between dealers because there are not many dealers around each other. For example, in NYC area, there is only about 3 dealers that you can go for service and they are not organized. It looks like a local garage.
The dealer I bought the car had only 2 service advisors that they never answer your call. If you leave a message, they never call you back. I talked about the issue with Service Manager, GM, and they said that they were busy. Of course they are busy, because there is only 3 people working in whole service department. Everytime I wanted to make appointment, I had to visit the dealer just to make appointment and I usally waited about 30 min standing just to make an appointment. After 2 years of ownership, I decided to go back to Mercedes and I did. It was good experience since you never know until you experience by yourself. When I decided ML, there was no chance thinking about Cayenne turbo even though it is nice SUV. I just wanted share my experience. Thank you for reading.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by newyorker
I ordered MY13 ML63 AMG going in production on Oct, delivery on Nov.

Diamond White
Black Designo leather
Designo Black Dinamica Headliner
Driver/Passenger Multi Contour Seats w/ M
Panorama Sunroof
3-zone automatic climate control
Anthracite Poplar wood trim
Harman Kardon
Rear Seat Entertainmnet system
Heated rear Seat
Land Tracking package

I traded Porsche because of their lack of service quality and bad dealer service. The car was a find craft, except few owners experience engine blow on 997.1 engines. Once you blow 911 engine, you expect to pay 15k for replacement engine which is not brand new, or I should say remanufactored engine if you are out of warranty. I had various issues with Porsche dealer service which I never expected from Porsche. Basically Porsche is much smaller company compare to Mercedes or BMW, their head quarters can't control the dealers as much as big companies. So the dealers operated by their own rules and guide lines. In addition to this, there is much less competition between dealers because there are not many dealers around each other. For example, in NYC area, there is only about 3 dealers that you can go for service and they are not organized. It looks like a local garage.
The dealer I bought the car had only 2 service advisors that they never answer your call. If you leave a message, they never call you back. I talked about the issue with Service Manager, GM, and they said that they were busy. Of course they are busy, because there is only 3 people working in whole service department. Everytime I wanted to make appointment, I had to visit the dealer just to make appointment and I usally waited about 30 min standing just to make an appointment. After 2 years of ownership, I decided to go back to Mercedes and I did. It was good experience since you never know until you experience by yourself. When I decided ML, there was no chance thinking about Cayenne turbo even though it is nice SUV. I just wanted share my experience. Thank you for reading.
newyorker: Congratulations for your order. I expect to have my ML-63 in 3-4 weeks. I also considered the Porsche Cayenne Turbo which impressed me with its beautiful interior and control panel borrowed from Panamera. Two things put me off. The small and tight interior space and the never ending list of options. It would take an additional $40k of options just to bring the Turbo to the level of my present W164. While money is not an issue, I find this attitude almost insulting. The only option missing on my ML-63 is the surround camera which will be available for the 2014 model. The sales service at my large MB dealership is rudimentary and very slow except for signing. This attitude seems to suit so many customers which are providing them with record sales numbers month after month. But their technical service is amazing and the follow up is excellent. That is why I stuck with them for the last 15 years.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:29 AM

2011 Porsche 911 Carrera,07 S550. 2010 E350 4matic, 05 Honda Accord V6.
newyorker: Congratulations for your order. I expect to have my ML-63 in 3-4 weeks. I also considered the Porsche Cayenne Turbo which impressed me with its beautiful interior and control panel borrowed from Panamera. Two things put me off. The small and tight interior space and the never ending list of options. It would take an additional $40k of options just to bring the Turbo to the level of my present W164. While money is not an issue, I find this attitude almost insulting. The only option missing on my ML-63 is the surround camera which will be available for the 2014 model. The sales service at my large MB dealership is rudimentary and very slow except for signing. This attitude seems to suit so many customers which are providing them with record sales numbers month after month. But their technical service is amazing and the follow up is excellent. That is why I stuck with them for the last 15 years.
Good luck on your new ML. The option list on Porsche is a board test. I had driven Cayenne as a lonaer, all of them had door handle rattle which is made of plastic which is not strong enough. I am tall and my knee always pushed the handle which made noise all the time. Another issue I found from Porsche was that if there is problem on the car, it does not show up quickly as Mercedes or BMW because not many are sold. This was case for 911. Since there are much less sold compare to MB or BMW, they only correct the issue to who complain and make noise. This was case for known issues. For example, 997.1 IMS was known issue which they should recall all 997.1 and replace the engine. It was complete design error on engine. They helped some people on re-man engine who made noise or going all the process with cooperate, but some people still had no help. This would not happen in MB or BMW since there will be so many people will complain against company.
Another issue was 911 owners do not drive as daily, so problems shows up after warranty expires.

I hope I can get my ML delivered in 3 weeks like you.

Last edited by newyorker; 08-19-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:01 AM

2013 ML-63 AMG Delivered today

It arrived 3 weeks ahead of ETA. Diamond White with Porcelain Designo Leather. Awesome to drive and great feeling to sit in. I was pleasantly surprised with the 6-DVD Changer which I never ordered. It will take me sometime to master all these options and features despite the fact that I read the owner's manual several times. I drove all day downtown. The drive was controlled and civilized not what to expect from a beast like this. I may post a detailed review after extensive driving. For now I want to underline three points:
ECO Start/Stop: I used it all day in heavy and light traffic. The restart time is incredibly fast.
Owner's Manual in Command: I downloaded the Owner's Manual from the CD into the Command Hard Drive. There is a dedicated button on the Command Screen to access the manual.
Ventilated Seats: worked satisfactorily on this very hot day
The engine can roar on demand. But the cabin is pleasantly silent during normal driving. I will post pictures soon.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congrats Jean! Glad you received it as promised!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:42 PM

Congrats Jean! Glad you received it as promised!
YYZ: Thanks. It looks that I also got a free trailer hitch which I did not order and which I will never use. I appreciate your previous advise for keeping the AMG Sport Steering Wheel instead of the Wood Leather Wheel. It has a great feeling. I noticed something very interesting today. The engine roars and screams are muffled substantially inside the cabin when the stereo is on. Switch off the music and the engine will talk to you in all 8 cylinders and twin-turbo language.
A note for you: the delivery procedure was excellent as I would expect from this Dealer. They never asked me for a deposit on order nor a certified check. And as a courtesy, they have reserved for me a license plate starting with M63-xxx. Nice touch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Decided for 2013 ML-63 AMG