M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Sport Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 530i
Sport Steering Wheel

Can anyone tell me if the Sport Steering Wheel actually feels different? Is it thicker?

Or does it just look different?

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:42 AM

2008 S63
It is thicker and feels MUCH better IMO. So much so that I just bought a Sport Steering Wheel on eBay because you can't get ventilated seats with the Sport Package and living in Texas, I HAVE to have the ventilatd seats. I found one on eBay for $450. It sucks because to get the Steering wheel you have to get the whole Sport Package which is a $0 cost option. but to just order a Sport steering wheel separate from MB and have it installed would apparently cost at least a couple thousand...probably more.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:41 AM

BMW 530i
Originally Posted by lowsparkhigh
It is thicker and feels MUCH better IMO. So much so that I just bought a Sport Steering Wheel on eBay because you can't get ventilated seats with the Sport Package and living in Texas, I HAVE to have the ventilatd seats. I found one on eBay for $450. It sucks because to get the Steering wheel you have to get the whole Sport Package which is a $0 cost option. but to just order a Sport steering wheel separate from MB and have it installed would apparently cost at least a couple thousand...probably more.
Thanks!!

I wonder why it would cost so much to swap it out. Seems that assuming they did the swap before delivery they could just return the regular wheel to inventory. Are you making the switch yourself? If this is DIY, a couple of thousand seems really high.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:21 PM

2008 S63
Logic has no place with this MB release. No, I will not be sapping it myself. I plan on negotiating an install with my deler. I have a 2013 ML550 ordered. They can't even get a price on the part yet, but they told me that when they have done this with other models the wheel alone was like $3,200. None of it makes any sense. I just happened to find an OEM ML Sports Steering Wheel on eBay for $599. I offered $400 and we settled on $450. Otherwise, I would have blown it off and lived with the standard Steering Wheel which is totally fine...just like the Sports one better. I have a long history with this dealer, so I'm sure I can get a fair price on swapping them out. Also, they are like the #1 MB dealer in the country, so sticking it to me on a couple hours of labor really isn't their thing. I will also be having them swap the running boards, which come standard on the 550 with the "twisted rockers" that apparently only come on the ML63 in the states. I will have to pay for this as well. In Canada, they come standard with the 550 and you would have to "pay" for the running boards...ridiculous!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Do they offer a sport wheel for the GLK?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML
I wonder if the lower aluminum piece on the sports steering wheel is interchangable with the plastic piece found on the regular wheel.
Can you please compare the two for us, i d love to get the aluminum
instead of plastic on my wood wheel.

By the way generally speaking swapping steering wheels is an hour job max.
On my old 7 series i had a heated steering wheel and wood steering wheel, i swapped them around every winter, took me 15 minutes, and I am not even a mechanic.

Last edited by stas2007; 12-26-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 GLS500. Previously '14 C250, '13 ML500, '12 C250, '08 ML500, '07 E500 & '03 A160
Originally Posted by stas2007
I wonder if the lower aluminum piece on the sports steering wheel is interchangable with the plastic piece found on the regular wheel.
Can you please compare the two for us, i d love to get the aluminum
instead of plastic on my wood wheel.

By the way generally speaking swapping steering wheels is an hour job max.
On my old 7 series i had a heated steering wheel and wood steering wheel, i swapped them around every winter, took me 15 minutes, and I am not even a mechanic.
Yes I'd be very interested in doing this as well. I also have the Wood/Leather wheel and would love to change the plastic piece for the aluminium piece if it's possible, so I can keep my wood but get the slightly sportier steering wheel look.

Any ideas lowsparkhigh??

Thanks in advance!