M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Purchase vs service?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML 350
Purchase vs service?

Ok, pulling the trigger tomorrow on an order for an almost loaded MY13 2013 ML350. I am going to get the 5 year prepaid maintenance upon delivery.
I am lucky and there are 8 dealers within 45 minute drive, I got best deal at the dealers that were not my closest (and closest dealer wouldnt match deal).

Do the dealers care or Mercedes care if I have the ML serviced at the non selling dealer? I recall with my cpo BMW that the regular customers got first pick of the loaners, etc?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML 350 BlueTec
I believe the service is thru MB so it doesn't really matter. As for the loaners. I find its a crap shoot. They come and get the car and drop off a loaner. Sometimes its a nice one and sometimes is a dog. But it is still easier than taking it yourself.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
In a few ways (very few) I envy people in big cities that have many dealers to choose from. I live in the country and there is one dealer about 40 miles from me. The next closest dealer is over 100 miles away. That means I have to pay top dollar since the local dealer is the only game in town and there is no bidding war between the competition. Also, I seriously doubt that they will come out 40 miles one way to pick up a car for service, not Mercedes or anyone else. BTW, can you disclose about what you paid, not in dollars but at least in terms of % off MSRP or amount over invoice? I want to order soon as well but I don't really know what a good price point would be on a 2013.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 E400
What's the price for 5 yr maint?

Unlike my BMW, MB doesn't come with 4 yrs of "free" maintenance. But BMW's won't service (oil changes) until the dash monitor tells you to, so it's around 13K miles. So I have a local shop do my oil changes for $12, I provide the Mobile 1 ($40 for 8 quarts) & oil filter ($10), every 4000 miles in between the dealers'. Cheap insurance, I guess.

So what if you decided to trade in you car before the 5 yrs is up?
Or worse, my wife totaled the our last MB a month after delivery. Glad we didn't buy the maint, since insurance company didn't pay for that maint portion...
Old 04-27-2012, 06:00 PM

2017 CLS550
I don't think maintenance agreements are worth it. For the first three years or so, all the maintenance required calls for oil/filter changes and perhaps air and cabin filter cleaning. Plus visual inspections. These are things anyone can do with a few simple tools and a drain pan. Unless physically handicapped there is no reason a person, especially a man, can't perform the basic maintenance required for at least three or four years.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML 350
Shortspark, whi
I appreciate your input relative to the real needs in the first few years and the true costs of such needs. However, I do take exception with your thoughts that anyone can or would desire to do the work themselves. In my case, I may want to but have no ability to do so and I am a "male" and do not currently suffer any disabilities.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 PM

2017 CLS550
Sure, some people do not want to do anything to their car other than drive it. I have no problem with that. In fact, I use to know one guy that did not even wax his car and always took it to a detailer for cleaning and protection. My point was only that there is no reason someone could not do the basic maintenance themselves during the first few years when basically only oil and filters need to be changed (unless there is a physical problem of course). It is very simple and requires little in the way of knowledge or tools - that is all true. If they simply choose not to or believe they are not capable, that is their perogative. If that is the case then a prepaid maintenance agreement is a good thing if for no other reason that it saves money.

I think I read somewhere that prepaid maintenance on a Mercedes saves 30% over the cost of dealership required maintenace during the period of the agreement. The agreements come in yearly increments up to four years or possibly even longer. I believe that it is not until the fourth year when maintenance becomes more complicated and costly.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 AM

2015 E400
Received this email from my dealer a few days ago:

"Your chance to guarantee 2 years or 20,000 miles* of expert care for your 2012 ML350 will soon expire. Call us today to purchase Mercedes-Benz Star Service Prepaid Maintenance — the convenient way to prepay for required services and protect yourself against unexpected increases in costs and services down the line. The benefits of Mercedes-Benz Star Service Prepaid Maintenance include:

30% savings versus purchasing maintenance as you go**
Potential increase in resale value
Convenience of having paid for maintenance in advance
Mercedes-Benz trained technicians using Genuine Mercedes-Benz Parts

And now, Mercedes-Benz Star Service Prepaid Maintenance starts at the new low price of just $619 for 2 years or 20,000 miles.

The Service department here at Mercedes-Benz _______ is staffed by highly trained service professionals. They can help ensure your vehicle is cared for with the superior attention to detail it deserves.

Contact us at _______ before your first Service visit or 10,000 miles* to purchase a Mercedes-Benz Star Service Prepaid Maintenance plan.

Sincerely,

So, just curious as to how many of us here bought the pre-paid maintenance, for how many yrs & for how much?
Vs those of us who will pay each time we bring in to (1) to MB Dealer for 10,000 mile & 20,000 mile service, or (2) to independent shop for service.

Think I was quoted $135 for 10K, & $235 for 20K service at the Dealer. So why is $619 price quoted above a good deal?
Old 04-28-2012, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by NickTH
And now, Mercedes-Benz Star Service Prepaid Maintenance starts at the new low price of just $619 for 2 years or 20,000 miles.

The Service department here at Mercedes-Benz _______ is staffed by highly trained service professionals. They can help ensure your vehicle is cared for with the superior attention to detail it deserves.

Contact us at _______ before your first Service visit or 10,000 miles* to purchase a Mercedes-Benz Star Service Prepaid Maintenance plan.

Sincerely,

So, just curious as to how many of us here bought the pre-paid maintenance, for how many yrs & for how much?
Vs those of us who will pay each time we bring in to (1) to MB Dealer for 10,000 mile & 20,000 mile service, or (2) to independent shop for service.

Think I was quoted $135 for 10K, & $235 for 20K service at the Dealer. So why is $619 price quoted above a good deal?
That sounds high for the minimal service required (1 oil change/minor check at ~15k?). I'd pass if I were you.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:30 AM

2017 CLS550
Here is the maintenance schedule for 2010 MY. I believe the newer models will be pretty much the same. As you can see, for the first few years there is virtually nothing to do other than change fluids/filters and do some visual checks. I have a Honda Ridgeline truck that will be seven years old next month and it has never seen the inside of a shop and I have never paid one dime in outside maintenance. I do all the work myself because I don't trust dealership "Mechanics" these days and besides, I enjoy doing it. Like I said before, that may not be for everyone so maintenance agreements for those people are a good thing. Of course the price you pay vs value is something one must determine for themselves. If I was not capable of performing the maintenance I am sure I would take it to a trusted, independent mechanic before buying a Mercedes maintenance agreement at the dealership, even at the advertised "30% savings".

10,000-Miles Required Maintenance Schedule

20,000-Miles Required Maintenance Schedule
20,000-Miles Required Maintenance Schedule

Old 04-28-2012, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Dealer vs. independent service

Originally Posted by shortspark
I do all the work myself because I don't trust dealership "Mechanics" these days and besides, I enjoy doing it. Like I said before, that may not be for everyone so maintenance agreements for those people are a good thing. Of course the price you pay vs value is something one must determine for themselves. If I was not capable of performing the maintenance I am sure I would take it to a trusted, independent mechanic before buying a Mercedes maintenance agreement at the dealership, even at the advertised "30% savings".[/B]
The one advantage of having a dealer do the service is you establish a relationship and firm record that may assist if you have out of warranty or gray area issues. The front diff went out within a year of the warranty expiring on my '06 ML. I was able to negotiate a reasonably good deal for replacement, in part, I think, because I had this dealer do all the service work over that five-year period. Some dealers have better service departments than others, though.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:12 PM

2017 CLS550
You are right Greg, there are better service departments around at dealerships but how do you know? Just today I asked my local dealer who is in a small city and the only M-B dealer for over 100 miles, to get me a 2012 BlueTec from another dealer. I was leaning towards gas but the BlueTec intrigues me as I have never had a diesel, although I have driven them. I also decided on a late year model which has most of the things I want over a pre-order for MY2013 (the lighting package was the big reason).

I don't know if he can get it for me but the reason I'm saying this is that although I think the big city dealer where it would come from has a much larger and (I assume) better trained mechanic staff, I need to take a chance with the little shop because of the distance involved. I could be wrong of course as the small dealership may have better mechanics on board but what choice do I have and how would I know? I can't very well travel 100 miles one way every time I need them to check something out. I know any M-B dealer is suppose to handle warranty issues but you know how that goes - you really need to work with the dealership you purchased the car from, just for the reason you gave and your example. Plus, they may not give me a loaner car unless I bought the car from them.

Living out in the country has many pluses but proximity for auto service is not one of them. That fact also means I will probably pay much more for the car than if I went to the big city and bought it direct from the dealer who has it in stock.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by shortspark
In a few ways (very few) I envy people in big cities that have many dealers to choose from. I live in the country and there is one dealer about 40 miles from me. The next closest dealer is over 100 miles away. That means I have to pay top dollar since the local dealer is the only game in town and there is no bidding war between the competition. Also, I seriously doubt that they will come out 40 miles one way to pick up a car for service, not Mercedes or anyone else. BTW, can you disclose about what you paid, not in dollars but at least in terms of % off MSRP or amount over invoice? I want to order soon as well but I don't really know what a good price point would be on a 2013.
M-B of Tyler will in fact drive a loaner to your house. Collect your M-B. Perform service. Return your M-B and take the loaner back. The radius for this service is about 75 miles. Canton to Nacogdoches for sure.
As for comparison shopping, Houston & Tyler are close in service prices. Star Motor Cars in Houston is slightly cheaper on a few services listed on a price board. I doubt very seriously that Park Place in DFW is less then M-B of Tyler. I haven't shopped the dealer in Shreveport yet.
Service:
Year 2/20k miles: Brake fluid flush.
Year 4/40k miles: Brake & Transmission flush.

Wayne

ps: Way to go! Are you really getting a 2012 ML BlueTec with Xenon lights? I'm jealous.

Last edited by venchka; 04-28-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:37 PM

2017 CLS550
Hi Wayne. I am out of state at the moment and won't return until May 5th but I emailed Mike and told him to see if he could get that BlueTec out of Dallas. I'm pretty sure they won't release that particular vehicle but you never know. Yes, it does have the lighting package, the leather/wood wheel, running boards (which I don't care for but I can live with them) and a couple other things. I thought that if I could get some end of model year incentives I would do much better than a pre-order MY2013. I'm still not sure about what a good price would be but I have a figure in mind. I thought that if the BlueTec can not be bought, I could lease something short term and then take my time in ordering what I really, really want in a couple years after gaining the "Mercedes experience". There are some good lease deals from Mercedes right now although they do not include BlueTec, which is okay since I can go with it or gas - I don't much care as each have their own personalities and I like both! Then again, I might do my original plan of just ordering a 2013. Lots of options!

Thanks for the info on loaner cars. I would never have believed they would travel that far so that is very good to know.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 PM

2015 E400
Many many years ago, as a teenage, I worked as a Porter for a major auto dealership in the Houston area, earning minimum wage. The dealership's service department advertises that they pamper your car with company trained & ASE certified service technicians. You pay top dollar for that. However, I was also trained to do oil changes, as it was very easy to do, as there were only a few models to learn & most platforms uses the same chassis. I can whip out quite a few in an hour for minimum. Of course, I'm not certified to check out or see any major problems while down there either. They use basic Valvoline or Texaco branded motor oil back then, directly pumped from the huge barrel. Then I get to do a basic wash on the car before delivery back to the customer, who paid top dollar to get that "certified technician" experience from the dealer.
Thus, I think today's dealer cost probably runs $20 $30 for parts, $10 for labor, & charges you $135 - $235 for that oil change experience. Guess we pay $100 - $200 extra so that they can spend 2 minutes to "visually" inspect what fluid levels are...