M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Auburn Brown/Black Interior reviews

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:55 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
2013 S550, 2009 E320, 2013 ML350 Bluetec
Auburn Brown/Black Interior reviews

I'm changing my mind again, I wanted the Grey/Black Leather interior, but the more and more I see the Auburn brown/Black interior the more I want it! I read on the forums it is much darker than the picture shows.

Are there any owners on here that chose this option and can give any feedback? Maybe satin ash trim instead on burl walnut too....... Pics would be great also!! Thanks for any feedback!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML 350 BT, 2016 E400 Coupe (preping to order soon)
Originally Posted by dpayne7571
I'm changing my mind again, I wanted the Grey/Black Leather interior, but the more and more I see the Auburn brown/Black interior the more I want it! I read on the forums it is much darker than the picture shows.

Are there any owners on here that chose this option and can give any feedback? Maybe satin ash trim instead on burl walnut too....... Pics would be great also!! Thanks for any feedback!!!
You'll have a perspective by the weekend. I first went with the Auburn brown/black with burled walnut. I tried to switch to the satin ash, but too late, the car was too far along. I think the combination looks great in the pictures, but I've yet too see them up close. 1/2 will be available in the next couple of days, assuming the shipment arrives.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by cobalt210
You'll have a perspective by the weekend. I first went with the Auburn brown/black with burled walnut. I tried to switch to the satin ash, but too late, the car was too far along. I think the combination looks great in the pictures, but I've yet too see them up close. 1/2 will be available in the next couple of days, assuming the shipment arrives.
When do you expect delivery of your ML? I wish a few people on here with this combo would chime in as I've seen a few photo's, but no feedback.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 AM

Just found this link, with great pictures of this combo with satin ash!

http://www.benzblogger.com/
Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 AM

When do you expect delivery of your ML? I wish a few people on here with this combo would chime in as I've seen a few photo's, but no feedback.
Sounds like the car will arrive at the dealership today and could be available for pickup later today or tomorrow. I'll be in touch and post some pictures for you when its in my posession.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 AM

I like the Auburn brown/black combination, but the satin ash looks a bit washed out by a flash they may have used. I'll try to do better with the pics I take, but of course they'll show you the brown/black with burled walnut -- assuming the order comes in correctly...
Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 PM

I like the Auburn brown/black combination, but the satin ash looks a bit washed out by a flash they may have used. I'll try to do better with the pics I take, but of course they'll show you the brown/black with burled walnut -- assuming the order comes in correctly...
Sounds great, looking forward your feedback! Thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 11:49 AM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash

Here's a great video:

To be sure, that quilted leather seating isn't available in the U.S. Also, the brown leather wrapped dash would only appear with designo interiors, like in the AMG or special order MY13. Otherwise, it will be black (which I think is better anyway, since I didn't find the red-ish brown dash in the AMG ML63 to match entirely with the Brown Satin Ash in the bright daylight.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Thought US had Marron Brown? Canada Tobacco brown same thing. Those seats are Designio with Edition 1 diamond a bit darker then what we get in our 350/550. Ours actually have a 2 tone look. The bolsters and center seat section with slight different tone on the 4 I have seen. Didn't like burled at all the black not bad the satin is best but no wood wheel as the video shows with its arthricite black
Old 05-23-2012, 12:57 PM

Sounds great, looking forward your feedback! Thanks
Hey dpayne7571. Car arrived at the dealership today after a long 3.5 month wait. I'll be picking it up later this afternoon and should be able to post pictures by the weekend. Hopefully my wife's usual photographic skills will do it justice. Back to you soon...
Old 05-23-2012, 02:21 PM

Hey dpayne7571. Car arrived at the dealership today after a long 3.5 month wait. I'll be picking it up later this afternoon and should be able to post pictures by the weekend. Hopefully my wife's usual photographic skills will do it justice. Back to you soon...
Well I'm sure you are excited! Looking forward to pics!
Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 PM

Well I'm sure you are excited! Looking forward to pics!
First impressions...

The brown seats are darker than expected, and I'm happy about it. A close friend drove up in a new BMW X5 a couple of weeks ago - the brown was pink. I was hoping it would not be the same and it isn't.

While I attempted to order the satin ash, and I'm not suggest I wouldn't today, I'm happy with the burled walnut. Without seeing the difference in person I'm not sure which way I'd go at the moment.

Smooth, quiet, everything we've been reading about. Bluetec fine, no reservations as the hesitation problem was not in play on the maiden voyage home. I'll keep my fingers crossed. In one instance pulling into a local store parking lot across traffic I though I had given enough gas pedal, but didn't go as fast as I'd expected. Gunned it, relatively speaking, and moved right out. User error is suspected at the moment.

The lighting package was worth the wait - extreme visibility, the active function follows the curves in the road as advertised, and its noticeable. They create a very wide swatch of light ahead.

The Comand system is not intuitive to the uninitiated, but I'll work my way through the process and I'm sure it will be fine. I shut down route navigation on the way home. It was very intrusive. My wife couldn't easily determine how to shut off the voice instructions and I wasn't about to take the manual out. More reading required...

I came from a 2004 MDX. Pressing it In the curves on local roads at 35 mph or so the Mercedes steered comfortably and, while there's quite a difference in the steering wheel presence, I felt good about the handling. I'm probably not too demanding in this area.

One thing I need to watch is the TPMS system. It was registering an error - or at least turning the display red, requiring an OK to temporarily return to normal. This happened three times on the ride home and could be the result of initial setup. More reading required here also...

Bottom line I like it a lot, given I've only added 22 miles to the 11 miles I received it with. It looks nice in the garage. Tomorrow is another day.

Last edited by cobalt210; 05-24-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
My wife couldn't easily determine how to shut off the voice instructions and I wasn't about to take the manual out.
Press the voice button on the steering wheel, and say "Guidance instructions off".
Its the only voice control message I use, and I use it every time! (Unfortunately you must reuse it every time you stop the motor).
Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by iankayem
Press the voice button on the steering wheel, and say "Guidance instructions off".
Its the only voice control message I use, and I use it every time! (Unfortunately you must reuse it every time you stop the motor).
I guess I'll be getting accustomed to using that phrase too. Thanks Ian.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML 350
Hi, Congrats on the new ride, I have a 13 ordered with the same auburn/black and burl wood. Please posts some interior pictures when you get a chance, I liked the Satin Ash, wife liked the burl walnut. As you can guess, wife won (for now), maybe the pictures will help change her mind before the change period closes out in a few weeks.
Thanks again in advance
Old 05-24-2012, 07:56 AM

First impressions...

The brown seats are darker than expected, and I'm happy about it. A close friend drove up in a new BMW X5 a couple of weeks ago - the brown was pink. I was hoping it would not be the same and it isn't.

While I attempted to order the satin ash, and I'm not suggest I wouldn't today, I'm happy with the burled walnut. Without seeing the difference in person I'm not sure which way I'd go at the moment.

Smooth, quiet, everything we've been reading about. Bluetec fine, no reservations as the hesitation problem was not in play on the maiden voyage home. I'll keep my fingers crossed. In one instance pulling into a local store parking lot across traffic I though I had given enough gas pedal, but didn't go as fast as I'd expected. Gunned it, relatively speaking, and moved right out. User error is suspected at the moment.

The lighting package was worth the wait - extreme visibility, the active function follows the curves in the road as advertised, and its noticeable. They create a very wide swatch of light ahead.

The Comand system is not intuitive to the uninitiated, but I'll work my way through the process and I'm sure it will be fine. I shut down route navigation on the way home. It was very intrusive. My wife couldn't easily determine how to shut off the voice instructions and I wasn't about to take the manual out. More reading required...

I came from a 2004 MDX. Pressing it In the curves on local roads at 35 mph or so the Mercedes steered comfortably and, while there's quite a difference in the steering wheel presence, I felt good about the handling. I'm probably not too demanding in this area.

One thing I need to watch is the TPMS system. It was registering an error - or at least turning the display red, requiring an OK to temporarily return to normal. This happened three times on the ride home and could be the result of initial setup. More reading required here also...

Bottom line I like it a lot, given I've only added 22 miles to the 11 miles I received it with. It looks nice in the garage. Tomorrow is another day.
Glad to hear you are enjoying your new ride! Thanks for the review, we are going to choose the burl walnut also with the brown/black interior.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:49 PM

'12 ML350
I went with the Auburn Brown after seeing it on an ML in the showroom with the Arctic White exterior, which is what I ordered.

Sales rep asked me about the Satin Ash and while interesting, I prefer the more 'classic' appearance of the Burled Walnut trim after seeing photos of the Ash trim.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:49 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Shine of Burled Walnut for old men LOL. What wood did u see? I saw all but US Eucalyptus. SAtin blends with auburn/tobacco burled too light and reflect light. But we are all different. Wife like satin? And u chose burled? LOL :-)))) pull ur chain on that one but that's my two cents worth. With beige different story maybe
Old 05-26-2012, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by iankayem
You can also just press the MUTE button when she's speaking.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 PM

corvette

Just picked-up yesterday and the interior is even better looking than I imagined. The contrast is remarkable: u cannot truly appreciate it from pictures. Great choice. I have Dakota brown exterior
Old 05-27-2012, 05:06 AM

X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
You can also just press the MUTE button when she's speaking.
Yes YZZ you are correct. When I do recieve the W166, I may start doing that again, as I notice there is now a "Mute" button on the steering wheel.

The problem is you must press the mute whilst she is actually speaking. If you miss her by a fraction, you only mute the radio or CD.

The W164 may not be so bad for you, but I have the steering wheel on the right side and the mute on the wrong side.

I live by a narrow winding road with continuous oncoming traffic, cliffs on one side and a steep drop on the other. Not the best place to go fishing for a small button amidst others on the far side of the car.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:45 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31

If it helps the pic is perfect to illustrate color.
In canada and I think USA there is NO SATIN wood wheel so the wheel is burl walnut the rest is satin ash.

I have seen both and the burled looks very light(yellow) compared to the satin which is darker.
However you can get an ugly piece of wood in any color and any location in the truck. Do your dealers not have the satin????
seems most order burl because thats what they always did. The arthricite is nice too because it contracts completely. satin blends but burled looks like they missed on color.. didnt see the USA standard Eucalyptus

This is only my opinion.
The biege I like the burled walnut they blend well, for black burled is the contrasting color.....I have with MY EYES seen just about all accept Eucalyptus

I chose Dakota with Auburn/tobaccco and black leather with satin brown ash

Good Luck

Last edited by dougiebear; 05-27-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 PM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
Originally Posted by dougiebear
If it helps the pic is perfect to illustrate color.
In canada and I think USA there is NO SATIN wood wheel so the wheel is burl walnut the rest is satin ash.

I have seen both and the burled looks very light(yellow) compared to the satin which is darker.
However you can get an ugly piece of wood in any color and any location in the truck. Do your dealers not have the satin????
seems most order burl because thats what they always did. The arthricite is nice too because it contracts completely. satin blends but burled looks like they missed on color.. didnt see the USA standard Eucalyptus

This is only my opinion.
The beige I like the burled walnut they blend well, for black burled is the contrasting color.....I have with MY EYES seen just about all accept Eucalyptus

I chose Dakota with Auburn/tobaccco and black leather with satin brown ash

Good Luck
I've seen the wood wheel in a ML with the Brown Satin Ash in real life and it is not Burl Wood. It's Satin Ash, but polished smooth. But there is a photo on line that has a Burl Wood-looking wood wheel with the Satin Ash. So maybe that is what is throwing you off.

I kinda wished all the Satin Ash in the car was polished in the same way as the wheel, as I didn't like the 'open pore' look so much. ...I think it cheapens it a bit in that it looks sort of unfinished. But I know others like it, and I still think on the whole it's better than the shiny plastic veneer of the other woods, especially with the wrapped dash.

Maybe I'll finished it like the wheel after I receive my ML, to give it a unique look.

But in any case, while the wood wheel gives the cabin a more luxurious look, I don't find the wood wheels comfortable on the hands. They are cold and hard, and if they have that clear plastic veneer like most do, they can be slippery....there is a reason why you'll never see a sports wheel with wood trim. Leather just feels a lot better to grip.

Last edited by gplank; 05-27-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:03 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
I think we are having the same thoughts but we can't get a wood wheel with the satin brown trim must get leather. So I presumed it was burled walnut in the photo.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:06 PM

I don't find the wood wheels comfortable on the hands. They are cold and hard, and if they have that clear plastic veneer like most do, they can be slippery....there is a reason why you'll never see a sports wheel with wood trim. Leather just feels a lot better to grip.
I consider the leather wheel to be far superior. The wood can also be too hot to touch in summer.

And for interests sake, I have ordered the satin Ash on the recommendations of this forum. I have never seen it.
Apparently there are currently no ML's in MB or dealer stock with it in Australia, and only 5 other MB cars with it (C or E class).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Auburn Brown/Black Interior reviews