Best Negotiation Tactics - HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Best Negotiation Tactics - HELP!

Hey everyone, when you guys are negotiating down the price of the car at the dealer, do you wait until you're with the finance person to whip out your MB Loyalty discount?

How does the loyalty discount work exactly??

I'm thinking of ordering a 2013 ML350 3 months ahead of my early lease return date for my E350 and I also wanted to know how many of you have had experience with the Costco Auto buying program.

Is it possible to combine invoice pricing (given by Costco) with the loyalty discount? Should I even mention that I own a benz in negotiations?

This is my first time ordering a car. Last question: Should I do negotiations before the car is ordered with the dealer or after it has arrived?

Thanks for the help W166'ers
Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 GLC 4Matic
Good questions... with respect to the last question, you cannot wait until after the car arrives to do the negotiating. When you ORDER a car, presumably to your own specifications of color, options, packages, etc. you are at that time COMMITTING yourself to it, and will most likely be required to pay a deposit of at least a couple of thousand dollars. When it arrives, it is YOUR car and you have no room for negotiating. Your only lever is walking out on it, and you then risk losing your deposit.

Dealers would rather sell you a car on their lot, but they are happy taking orders too. They'll WANT that order and you will have leverage and negotiating ability until you actually place it/sign it.

From reading posts on this forum, I'd say it should be reasonable to get a minimum of a 6% discount, and easily more, if you have a USAA or similar membership like Conquest, Costco, or whatever. Some have claimed as much as 10% WITHOUT any memberships. I just bought a new ML and got about 10% off with USAA. I was reasonably happy with it even though I could have probably done better.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350
I'd recommend this ,
First search a dealer that has your car in their inventory as the negotiation will be much more in that case. Unless you are ordering a very unique package or live in a remote area finding an exact car is not difficult. Negotiate before you sign your order or contract paper. Tell them you have loyalty rewards as dealer want your business as those rewards are cash money for them paid by MB and they might get you some more discount to sell the car.
I got 13% discount and I am not a USAA or have any loyalty discount. Went on the last hour on a last day of a month and picked a car out of the lot( they had my choice)
Old 07-13-2012, 01:56 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
2013 S550, 2009 E320, 2013 ML350 Bluetec
There is a thread that states your deposit is fully refundable if you no longer want the car after it arrives for any reason. Did I misread something because I have a 2013 on order........
Old 07-13-2012, 03:24 PM

F250-Mustang GT-ML350BT
Originally Posted by dpayne7571
There is a thread that states your deposit is fully refundable if you no longer want the car after it arrives for any reason. Did I misread something because I have a 2013 on order........
fully refundable for any reason? i have never seen that before.the deposit is in fact to guarantee you will take the ordered vehicule and if you don t its money for them to cover expenses.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 PM

2013 ML350
Originally Posted by serge01
fully refundable for any reason? i have never seen that before.the deposit is in fact to guarantee you will take the ordered vehicule and if you don t its money for them to cover expenses.
Well, it's fully refunable for any reason in my dealer (CA). Don't worry they can easily sell it to other ppl.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:46 PM

F250-Mustang GT-ML350BT
good for you it does not work that way up here