M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Does the ML350 have a true maintenance minder?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 02:51 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Does the ML350 have a true maintenance minder?

One of the things I noticed different on the ML350 from my Honda Ridgeline (and most other modern vehicles) is the lack of a maintenance minder. Unless there is one on the vehicle and I don't know it. Most cars these days have a maintenance minder to call attention to when service needs to be performed. On my Ridgeline it is shown as A-1, B-2, so on and so forth and is based on many factors including time, engine temps, driving habits and conditions, etc. It tells you when to change oil and filter, rotate tires, cabin and air filter replacement, transmission and VTM fluid changes, etc. Each code refers to a specific service or group of services required. When a code pops up you perform the service required and do a reset.

On my ML350, however, it simply has a count down clock for the first service notification, which is one year from the date I bought it. At that time oil and filter plus a tire rotation is due, along with a couple of other minor things and fluid checks. I believe the same thing is done each year and every 10,000 miles. But this is simply based on miles (10,000) or time (one year), which ever comes first. It does not take into account the factors that most maintenance minders and oil life expectancy gauges use.

The maintenance alograms used (I think that is the term) by other manufactures are very complex but also very accurate. It seems to me that X number of miles or X number of months is rather arbitrary and is like the old mentality that said you must change oil every 3,000 miles or every six months. All MB is doing is changing the arbitrary figures for oil changes, eg, to extend the drain period. I assume all other maintenance items are treated the same way.

Years ago we all went by the maintenance charts in the back of our manuals but with the maintenance minders used during the past 10 or 15 years, all that is done by the vehicle's on-board computer based on need rather than arbitrary figures and time periods. Am I missing something or is MB going back to the stone age with its maintenance schedules and methods of service notification?

Last edited by shortspark; 07-24-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by shortspark
One of the things I noticed different on the ML350 from my Honda Ridgeline (and most other modern vehicles) is the lack of a maintenance minder. Unless there is one on the vehicle and I don't know it. Most cars these days have a maintenance minder to call attention to when service needs to be performed. On my Ridgeline it is shown as A-1, B-2, so on and so forth and is based on many factors including time, engine temps, driving habits and conditions, etc. It tells you when to change oil and filter, rotate tires, cabin and air filter replacement, transmission and VTM fluid changes, etc. Each code refers to a specific service or group of services required. When a code pops up you perform the service required and do a reset.

On my ML350, however, it simply has a count down clock for the first service notification, which is one year from the date I bought it. At that time oil and filter plus a tire rotation is due, along with a couple of other minor things and fluid checks. I believe the same thing is done each year and every 10,000 miles. But this is simply based on miles (10,000) or time (one year), which ever comes first. It does not take into account the factors that most maintenance minders and oil life expectancy gauges use.

The maintenance alograms used (I think that is the term) by other manufactures are very complex but also very accurate. It seems to me that X number of miles or X number of months is rather arbitrary and is like the old mentality that said you must change oil every 3,000 miles or every six months. All MB is doing is changing the arbitrary figures for oil changes, eg, to extend the drain period. I assume all other maintenance items are treated the same way.

Years ago we all went by the maintenance charts in the back of our manuals but with the maintenance minders used during the past 10 or 15 years, all that is done by the vehicle's on-board computer based on need rather than arbitrary figures and time periods. Am I missing something or is MB going back to the stone age with its maintenance schedules and methods of service notification?
I noticed the same thing - my '08 BMW has "Condition Based Service", but the ML does not seem to. I could say the same thing about Key Dependent Settings - BMW is far more advanced.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Yes, it seems many manufacturers are more advanced in this regard. Then again, I was thinking of something just now that might explain it. Maybe the oil MB suggests (Mobil One 0w40 synthetic European Blend) and the filter (fleece filter rather than paper) are so good that driving conditions are not a factor to consider. Coupled with the excellence of the motor itself, maybe MB feels you are protected for at least 10,000 miles no matter what. Maybe that is the thinking across the board when it comes to service items. I don't agree with it but that is the only explanation I can think of.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:25 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2020 - G63; RR.AB; ML350; ML320; ML400; M3; 200CE; 200E
Fight the economic crisis: creative ways to keep the workshop full...