MPG on 2013 550 goes down?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 03:48 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
MPG on 2013 550 goes down?

IIRC, last year it was 15/20. This year 14/20.

Last edited by 27T; 08-10-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
I'm averaging 16 mpg with little highway driving, mostly short trip commuting along a 15 minute drive where I usually hit 5-8 red lights. My best tank so far was 20 mpg with 90% of it highway at pretty good rate of speed, 25-40% over speed limit. I think at a reasonable speed I could get 22-23 mpg.

To be honest I couldn't care less about the fuel economy, I track it because I'm a statistics guy and love numbers but my annual fuel bill is insignificant.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:25 PM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by 2012MLBlue
I'm averaging 16 mpg with little highway driving, mostly short trip commuting along a 15 minute drive where I usually hit 5-8 red lights. My best tank so far was 20 mpg with 90% of it highway at pretty good rate of speed, 25-40% over speed limit. I think at a reasonable speed I could get 22-23 mpg.

To be honest I couldn't care less about the fuel economy, I track it because I'm a statistics guy and love numbers but my annual fuel bill is insignificant.
Thanks for the detail. I'm thinking of jumping up to the ML550 because of the difficulty in getting 20s and stitched dash. Plus the 550 gets AMG styling.

Do you have any more thoughts and experiences that you can share re the 550?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 PM

2016 GLE 350d
I absolutely love this vehicle. Zero regrets. I initially had the new ML diesel for a month but had the cold engine bucking/hesitating issue and my dealer helped me trade up to the 550. The biturbo V8 engine is incredible and the last two weekends I have taken significant road trips and its just fantastic for fast highway driving. The radar cruise control is excellent (better on two lane roads than on highways where people regulary cut in front of you and cause the system to brake unnecessarily), the seats are so comfortable and supportive that after two 4 hour drives this past week I had zero fatigue.

The only downside is I have been driving a little foolishly in terms of too fast or making passes on two lane roads that are quite aggressive because the passing power inspires confidence that you can pass pretty much anywhere. I drove the 08 ML 320 diesel for four years and I was a VERY relaxed turtle style driver in that vehicle but now with this amazing V8 and all that power I am getting tempted too often. I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 10 years but I may be due for one soon.

I love the AMG styling and get a lot of compliments but my brother was telling me it looks like a "rappers car" which I guess could be taken as good or bad. The upgraded stereo is excellent, the nav is MUCH better than the old one in my 2008, the climate control is excellent.

Only complaint is the dumb fabric headliner that comes with the Pano roof that won't let you tilt up the sunroof without opening the sunshade. I ALWAYS used to tilt up my sunroof to increase airflow without the A/C on with my last 5 or 6 vehicles but now I can't on a sunny day without the bright light coming in with the sunshade open. DUMB engineering. I would NOT order the Pano roof again but love all the other options on the 550.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:04 AM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by 2012MLBlue
I absolutely love this vehicle. Zero regrets. I initially had the new ML diesel for a month but had the cold engine bucking/hesitating issue and my dealer helped me trade up to the 550. The biturbo V8 engine is incredible and the last two weekends I have taken significant road trips and its just fantastic for fast highway driving. The radar cruise control is excellent (better on two lane roads than on highways where people regulary cut in front of you and cause the system to brake unnecessarily), the seats are so comfortable and supportive that after two 4 hour drives this past week I had zero fatigue.

The only downside is I have been driving a little foolishly in terms of too fast or making passes on two lane roads that are quite aggressive because the passing power inspires confidence that you can pass pretty much anywhere. I drove the 08 ML 320 diesel for four years and I was a VERY relaxed turtle style driver in that vehicle but now with this amazing V8 and all that power I am getting tempted too often. I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 10 years but I may be due for one soon.

I love the AMG styling and get a lot of compliments but my brother was telling me it looks like a "rappers car" which I guess could be taken as good or bad. The upgraded stereo is excellent, the nav is MUCH better than the old one in my 2008, the climate control is excellent.

Only complaint is the dumb fabric headliner that comes with the Pano roof that won't let you tilt up the sunroof without opening the sunshade. I ALWAYS used to tilt up my sunroof to increase airflow without the A/C on with my last 5 or 6 vehicles but now I can't on a sunny day without the bright light coming in with the sunshade open. DUMB engineering. I would NOT order the Pano roof again but love all the other options on the 550.
"rappers car" is definitely a compliment given that it's stock. I like the flash.

I'm passing on the pano because the fabric is too thin and I want to block out the 360 days of sun in SoCal. It is a cool option but given the thin fabric and your annoyances I will pass.

Are the seats different in the 350 vs 550?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
I was glad to exclude the panoramic too. We have that problem called melonomer here so we want full shade but still keep the ventilation. This also was our prime reason for excluding the X5 from consideration.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:01 AM

2016 GLE 350d
Originally Posted by 27trout

Are the seats different in the 350 vs 550?
Same seats I believe. I have the leather package and ventilated seats, comfortable and supportive. Great headrests.