M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Manually open tailgate past limit angle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350
Manually open tailgate past limit angle?

I was told that after the tailgate reaches the limit angle (if you have it set) that you can then manually open it past this point when needed. I've done this a handful of times without any problem. Recently after doing this it made a grinding noise when I pressed the close button and now any time I open or close it I get the grinding noise.

Anyone know if you are supposed to be able to manually open it like I'd been doing? I didn't see anything in the manual about this, only what sales guy had said.

Thanks,
Old 08-25-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I noticed it was very hard to open the tailgate manually. It seemed to fight and sort of resist pushing it upwards. I just use the key button now because I have it set high enough that I will never need it to go any higher.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F250-Mustang GT-ML350BT
Originally Posted by TundraRoads
I was told that after the tailgate reaches the limit angle (if you have it set) that you can then manually open it past this point when needed. I've done this a handful of times without any problem. Recently after doing this it made a grinding noise when I pressed the close button and now any time I open or close it I get the grinding noise.

Anyone know if you are supposed to be able to manually open it like I'd been doing? I didn't see anything in the manual about this, only what sales guy had said.

Thanks,
I was told by salesman not to open tailgate manually as this would damage mecanism over time.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Have it looked at. There was something similar on the GLK side with awful noises after manual tailgate use with the height limiter set, but it was claimed to be the ram "clutch" giving as per designed.
In my book, and abnormal noise with a warranty vehicle needs dealer attention.