Is the airmatic system similar to the Jeep Grand Cherokees

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:54 AM
GMW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML63 AMG PP
Is the airmatic system similar to the Jeep Grand Cherokees

By that I mean is the new MLs airmatic using a noisy pump to pump air like the older model Mercs or is it a closed loop system like on the new Jeep Grand Cherokee?
Old 10-21-2012, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,191 Likes on 858 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Airmatic

Originally Posted by GMW
By that I mean is the new MLs airmatic using a noisy pump to pump air like the older model Mercs or is it a closed loop system like on the new Jeep Grand Cherokee?
Not sure how the two compare technically, but it is a quiet system.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:06 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Thank you GregW, since you mention it is quiet, that already is similar to the JGC, however is it fast to raise or lower the car when you push the button? Since the JGC shares the chassis and basic tech I was wondering if MB also helped developing one system to use across both brands.

The 164 ML used to take its time raising and you could hear the pump hard at work. :-)
Old 10-22-2012, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,191 Likes on 858 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Airmatic

Originally Posted by GMW
Thank you GregW, since you mention it is quiet, that already is similar to the JGC, however is it fast to raise or lower the car when you push the button? Since the JGC shares the chassis and basic tech I was wondering if MB also helped developing one system to use across both brands.

The 164 ML used to take its time raising and you could hear the pump hard at work. :-)
It's not particularly quick. I haven't timed it, but probably a minute each direction. Hopefully MB has improved the reliablity of the system, as problems with the pump and other components were common with the W164. Good reason for extended warranty if you're keeping the vehicle beyond 4 years.
Attached Thumbnails Is the airmatic system similar to the Jeep Grand Cherokees-w166-airmatic.jpg  
Old 10-22-2012, 05:19 PM

2013 ML550
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
It's not particularly quick. I haven't timed it, but probably a minute each direction. Hopefully MB has improved the reliablity of the system, as problems with the pump and other components were common with the W164. Good reason for extended warranty if you're keeping the vehicle beyond 4 years.
I have nothing to compare with, but it probably takes a minute or so to raise it up. Plus, it's very quiet and I don't hear the pumping at all.