ML Assembled in USA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:38 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Originally Posted by AussieBenzLover
Yes, I've just seen all of that under the new account. But my question is why? He/she wasn't rude or nasty or anything, just expressing their disappointment with their vehicle, which to me is quite ok, but perhaps they were a little over the top. Still, what's happened to free speech etc? Isn't that the whole purpose of this website/forum? So we can all talk freely, express our opinions and share information about our cars? Unless the person was using bad language or specifically attacking another member I don't see why that member should be banned & his/her posts should be deleted. Perhaps I missed something here. Anyway, have a good day folks!
He was. You can see his latest thread for a small dose.

I'm all for sharing MB experiences here, whether good or bad, but there is a code of conduct here unlike many other forums.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
2022 GLE450
He had a bad experience and chose to make it no longer about the vehicle. This is my favorite forum and it's nice to see many people actually utilize all the resources have here.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
The stereotype that American built cars are poorly built is true for the most part, although there has been significant improvement since 2008 in my view, still I am absoloutly confident German assembled cars are of better quality than those assembled in the U.S, again the gap is closing and is not as bad as 6 years ago.

For those who have had the first gen ML's, you know what Iam talking about.

Last edited by cookstar; 12-11-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 PM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
2022 GLE450
I don't get it. How can where its built matter when its all the same tech?

I have confidence in the american worker building these.... or at least the robot he programs!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 GLS500. Previously '14 C250, '13 ML500, '12 C250, '08 ML500, '07 E500 & '03 A160
Originally Posted by 27trout
He was. You can see his latest thread for a small dose.

I'm all for sharing MB experiences here, whether good or bad, but there is a code of conduct here unlike many other forums.
Ah yes, I can see all that now. Ok, fair enough then .. that's not acceptable. Cheers
Old 12-13-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2011 ML350
I've owned 3 German-made cars (E320, CLK320, E350) and 2 Alabama-made (both ML350s), and the MLs were better made, with fewer problems.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML
I think build quality has a lot to do with complexity of the vehicle:
IMO a fully loaded ML will have problems down the line, no matter what, you cannot compare it with a toyota. You cannot expect cars that have more parts and technology to last without breaking down as well as "naked" cars. You have to choose one or another. I am sure that a bone stock 2wd w166 will last 150k without major repairs. Toyota has got their bulletproof reputation back in 90s because they built simple cars. In today's world everyone wants all the fancy features in their car. You will see toyota reliability go down, because they are forced to make their cars with more features. For example my previous car was a fully loaded LS460L (only thing it didnt have was executive rear seating) I traded her in at 60k miles, I had problems with air shocks, wind noise and mark levinson amp(which costs about 1200$), also the driver seat cushion gone extremely soft which left me with back pains, the interior rattled as well. I loved the car and would recommend it to others but I cannot imagine owning one past 100k miles. Once it came to ordering ML I went very easy on the options list because I plan to keep her for at least 7-8 years, if I was to lease the ML than would probably spend another 10k in pointless options.
Build quality depends on parts more than on the country of assembly(maybe with exception of china), more parts = more problems

Last edited by stas2007; 12-13-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Originally Posted by stas2007
IMO a fully loaded ML will have problems down the line, no matter what, you cannot compare it with a toyota. You cannot expect cars that have more parts and technology to last without breaking down as well as "naked" cars. You have to choose one or another. I am sure that a bone stock 2wd w166 will last 150k without major repairs. Toyota has got their bulletproof reputation back in 90s because they built simple cars. In today's world everyone wants all the fancy features in their car. You will see toyota reliability go down, because they are forced to make their cars with more features. For example my previous car was a fully loaded LS460L (only thing it didnt have was executive rear seating) I traded her in at 60k miles, I had problems with air shocks, wind noise and mark levinson amp(which costs about 1200$), also the driver seat cushion gone extremely soft which left me with back pains, the interior rattled as well. I loved the car and would recommend it to others but I cannot imagine owning one past 100k miles. Once it came to ordering ML I went very easy on the options list because I plan to keep her for at least 7-8 years, if I was to lease the ML than would probably spend another 10k in pointless options.
Build quality depends on parts more than on the country of assembly(maybe with exception of china), more parts = more problems
well said, only other thing is North American auto workers who believe the world owes them something.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Originally Posted by stas2007
It is true that every item that goes into a car is a potential problem, but I do not believe you should leave the extra bits out. R&D is done on all the extra bits, so most of those bits work fine. Sure some things may slip through the cracks, and they are reported here, but with time they are fixed.

W163 models had big problems, 164s had less. 2006 models had bad transmission worries, but it was soon cured. Power steering racks had leaks, and under warranty the racks were replaced entirely, rather than just the leaking o-rings.

The few problems I had with my last car were just problems and they were fixed. None of the problems related to the man who put it together.

You said "Toyota has got their bulletproof reputation back in 90s because they built simple cars."

The Toyota Landcruiser got its Australian bullet proof reputation back in the 1960's, mainly due to comparison in reliability with the Landrover.

Since then I have made a lot of money supplying parts to repair their hopelessly under engineered drivelines.

When the 100 series was released, the word got out "if you drive downhill and find the track blocked, winch out - do not select reverse gear or you will break the front diff".

A few years later, they released the 200 series. And it was fitted with the same diff and failure rate.

I like my Mercedes for more than just the driving pleasure.

And I am not a Mersedes dealer or employee!
Old 12-16-2012, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
You all are really making inaccurate statements. Since the ML and GL are ONLY manufactured in the USA. You can't say that USA assembled vehicles are any less reliable than German assembled vehicles. This is because the components and assembly procedures are not the same, as no two factories assemble the same models.

The only way to compare "quality" of assembly is when identical models are assembled (such as South Africa vs German C-Class). Interestingly, the areas that had the most trouble in the 2006-2008 M-Class were in regards to the engine components which were built in Germany...

I guess we will really be able to compare assembly quality when the same plant begins to assemble the C-Class. Although, I expect that study will too be biased, as it is an entirely new model and assembly procedure the workers have to learn and like anything, there will be a learning curve.

Long story short, the assembly in the USA of these models will be better than they would in any other factory at this point.