M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Tire chains revisited

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 450
Tire chains revisited

Apologies for the redundancy but I did not see any resolution on a previous thread concerning chains. Here in Oregon the chain law says:

"In typical winter conditions, vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW) or less and not towing or being towed are allowed to use traction tires in place of chains. However in very bad winter road conditions all vehicles may be required to use chains regardless of the type of vehicle or type of tire being used."

I am running Blizzack DM-V1's 245/55/19 on my 2013 ML which will get me anywhere I have the guts to go but I don't want to spend a lot of money for chains I may never use. So anyone know the cheapest place for chains or would those "Tire socks" be a better choice?
Thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,179 Likes on 848 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by frtdog
Apologies for the redundancy but I did not see any resolution on a previous thread concerning chains. Here in Oregon the chain law says:

"In typical winter conditions, vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW) or less and not towing or being towed are allowed to use traction tires in place of chains. However in very bad winter road conditions all vehicles may be required to use chains regardless of the type of vehicle or type of tire being used."

I am running Blizzack DM-V1's 245/55/19 on my 2013 ML which will get me anywhere I have the guts to go but I don't want to spend a lot of money for chains I may never use. So anyone know the cheapest place for chains or would those "Tire socks" be a better choice?
Thanks
I'm here in Oregon, as well, and have a nice pair of RUD chains that I have never had to put on. I do know the OSP will occasionally require them in various mountainous regions. "In very bad winter road conditions all vehicles may be required to use chains regardless of the type of vehicle or type of tire being used. A conditional road closure may occur on any of Oregon's Highways and are frequent in the winter on Interstate 5 through Siskiyou Pass south of Ashland."
If I am ever required to use them, I'd like them to be good. Snow socks may meet the requirement of the law, but may not last more than one use. Get one of these and don't worry about it: http://www.rud.com/en-us/products/sc...tten/llkw.html. JMO
Old 12-03-2012, 02:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
As the chances of having to fit chains is remote, the most compact and lightest ones would be the best. I like the idea of the sock, but our Alpine authority do not, so we don't use them. If your authority approves, then please consider.

Likewise they frown on spider chains (although they do accept them). The other RUD diamond chains are great especially for small cars with limited clearance. Their downfall is having to drive 1/4 turn to finish fitting.

I prefer the Konig as they do not need any further adjustment. The slowest part of fitting is shaking them out of the box to get them untangled. Then its only 30 seconds per wheel to fit. I look forward to next season now I have Airmatic & On/Off road - that should make it real easy.

There are the Chinese clones of the Konig, but they do not have the ratcheting connector so they take longer to adjust. You have to drive 100m or so to readjust, sometimes twice. And when you price them out, don't forget to add in the possible mudguard repair if they come off.

Ladder chains are the cheapest, on Ebay for $5. But they are banned!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,179 Likes on 848 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Konig tire chains

Originally Posted by iankayem
I prefer the Konig as they do not need any further adjustment. The slowest part of fitting is shaking them out of the box to get them untangled. Then its only 30 seconds per wheel to fit.
Which ones are you talking about? http://www.thule.com/en/IT/Products/...ins/SnowChains
Old 12-03-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Sorry Greg, I did not know they had such a range, and they are now called Thule.

Mine are Konig T2 Magic which is essentially the same as the XG12 Pro. They have the 12mm chain whilst some Chinese have 9mm or less which is why I have concern as they have to hold 2+tonnes.

In that URL they show the "Summit" range, which are classified as "spider" chains. RUD and other makers make these also. I have no personal exprience with them, but the authorities here don't like them so no one seems to import them. Apparently once you pre-install the hub, they are very quick and easy to mount.

I did presume you have the RUD Matic which are also fairly popular.