M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Mbrace Send2Benz changes street address

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350BTC
Mbrace Send2Benz changes street address

It is much easier to find and enter a destination on a smartphone than using the M-class navigation system. Is there an easier way with the navigation system than working your way through selecting each character in the address?

When the comand phone application imported my contact list from my phone, it only took phone numbers and ignored addresses. I'm not sure why the comand phone app and the navigation system couldn't import contacts and both use them -- names associated with phone numbers for the comand phone application, and names associated with addresses for navigation.

Mbrace has a cell-phone-app that (among other things) can be used to send destinations from the phone to the navigation system. Works great, you can search for a destination, enter a street address, use a contact list address, use your current location, or use someone else's current location.

The Mbrace app running on your phone will then send the destination to the ML's navigation system. Really convenient, but I've found that nearly every time, a specific street number that I send from my contacts list gets modified to a different street number when it shows up on the ML's navigator. Anyone else have this problem? Any idea what's going on?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:02 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
It uses a database from google maps. If the number is not on google then can't use your number. Just search it on google maps and then send it.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:14 AM
caf

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
car
I agree; the nav interface is really poor. I can hit one button and speak an address or point of interest on my Nexus phone and get over 90% accuracy the first time, followed by turn by turn directions, so I seldom use the ML nav. I'm not sure I've ever been successful with a voice entered destination on the ML.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 PM

2013 ML350BTC
iPhone seems to have taken a huge step backward with its maps app. It used to be google I suppose, but now appears to be Apple's own. For example, if you search for your favorite restaurant chain, it doesn't find nearly as many locations close to you with the new version as it did with my old iPhone.

Somebody in the auto industry (are you listening MB?) is going to have to realize that the best approach is to provide a standard interface (power, connection to speakers, gps antenna, etc) and allow the owner to plug in their tablet for navigation, media, browser, phone app, contacts, and related applications. Get into the car, slide your tablet into position and away you go. Look for destinations/routes before you get into the vehicle and you're ready to go when you slide it into the vehicle's docking station. Use the tablet's display rather than having one in the vehicle. Replace your tablet when its outdated and consequently you vehicle's is updated as well.

How would it be more difficult/expensive for MB to publish apps (android and itunes principally) that interface directly to the automobile, than to have to update both hardware and software in the vehicle?

Yes, I agree caf. The nav interface is really poor. I'd prefer to purchase my own nav app on my own tablet, and plug them both into ML's docking slot. Anyone aware of any businesses already offering to replace the display in the ML with a docking station? Anyone interested in getting into a new business?