Does build date matter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML550
Originally Posted by AussieBenzLover
the digital TV tuner is mindblowing.
So you have a digital TV tuner in your W166? If you do, can you tell us where we can get it? Would it void my warranty? I want to get it so my passenger can enjoy watching TV on long road trips. Of course I won't be watching but focusing on the road.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 PM

Audi A4
I was thinking about doing that trip over Easter break.
Hopefully it will be the good time of the year (ie. not too hot, not too cold)
I am also waiting for Nothern territory to go back to no speed limit!
But also many people are saying how dangerous it can be with all the Kangaroos, etc...
I guess... if you hit a Kangaroo at 200kph, it will be very very dangerous. I can understand that it will cause serious damage to the car but would it bad enough to seriously injure or kill passengers?
I think vehicles like ML is so big that it shouldn't cause too much damage to passengers...
Saw some youtube videos and looks really scary though.

Your trip to Darwin via NSW and QLD sounds fantastic! Hope you enjoy that one too!!!

I always wanted to do long road trip. One day I want to do LA to NY in USA and even trans Siberian from Beijing to Paris!

The best longest I've done was from top of North island of NZ to bottom of South island. That was a fantastic journey!! But that is only about 2500km.

I think I will really enjoy my ML!

You're welcome. Anytime, just ask. I love to share my wealth of information, obviously

Oh yes, the Warburton drive is very nice too, a bit shorter also, so if you're not keen on a huge day trip this could be nice.

Interesting that you should ask about a Central Australia trip. Just on 2 years ago we did exactly that in my W164. It was such a great car to travel in. We left Melbourne on Boxing Day and slowly worked our way up to Alice Springs arriving New Years Eve. Our trip was around 5000kms too. We spent 2 nights at Uluru on the way up, and it was 47°C both days. The car was parked in an outdoor carpark overnight both nights and it was like an oven both mornings when we got in it. A few minutes running the aircon cooled it down very quickly.

This long drive will do your car the world of good, providing you have at least done the normal 1500km run-in.

If you stick to the main highways all the roads are sealed so your car will be fine. Once you cross the SA/NT border you'll also get the 130km/h speed limit in NT, the only place in Australia where the speed limits are this high!! There's very few police around, or other traffic for that matter, so sitting on 145-150 wasn't a problem. It's generally just a wide straight road for hundreds of kilometres. We did pass one police car that was coming towards us, and I soon as I saw it I backed off but he still detected my speed as being over and as he went past he just shook his finger at me to indicate to slow down a bit. I stayed under 140 after that. Stay off the roads at night though, due to kangaroos, camels and other wild animals wandering around. Most of the roads aren't fenced so they come out of nowhere and it's very hard to see them at night.

Ensure you plan your fuel stops in advance as sometimes it's quite long distances between service stations. Also make sure you travel with plenty of water. There's alot of places where there's no mobile phone service too, so I installed a UHF CB radio so I could at least communicate with the truckies and Royal Flying Doctor Service if necessary if anything went wrong.

I really want to do this trip again one day in my new ML. But this time I'll head up through mid NSW then outback QLD to Longreach and across to Darwin then back down the Stuart Hwy via Adelaide and back into Melbourne.

I think the best time to go if you want to avoid the severe heat is winter, but the nights can get extremely cold up that way at that time.

Have fun planning ....
Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 GLS500. Previously '14 C250, '13 ML500, '12 C250, '08 ML500, '07 E500 & '03 A160
Originally Posted by GTscrub
So you have a digital TV tuner in your W166? If you do, can you tell us where we can get it? Would it void my warranty? I want to get it so my passenger can enjoy watching TV on long road trips. Of course I won't be watching but focusing on the road.
It's a factory fitted option and in Australia it is part of the Entertainment Package (EP1) which also includes the HK system, and rear entertainment screens in the back (which I'm still unable to get working!!).

It of course turns the video screen off as soon as you start to drive off, I think around 6-7km/h, but the sound still comes through. There is a way you can deactivate this though, which I'm considering also so my front seat passenger can watch while we're on the move. Check this video out ....
. Anyway the thing that concerns me if I do this is I know I'll be tempted to sneak quick looks at whatever is showing and possibly have an accident. Not to mention the fact that it's highly illegal here!!

So it's not an option in the USA? You're in LA so I'm sure there's some place(s) that can do an aftermarket job for you. Sorry I can't help any more than that.

How do you find your ML550 anyway? How long have you had it, and how many miles have you done in it so far if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 AM

'17 GLS500. Previously '14 C250, '13 ML500, '12 C250, '08 ML500, '07 E500 & '03 A160
Originally Posted by otagomed
I was thinking about doing that trip over Easter break.
Hopefully it will be the good time of the year (ie. not too hot, not too cold)
I am also waiting for Nothern territory to go back to no speed limit!
But also many people are saying how dangerous it can be with all the Kangaroos, etc...
I guess... if you hit a Kangaroo at 200kph, it will be very very dangerous. I can understand that it will cause serious damage to the car but would it bad enough to seriously injure or kill passengers?
I think vehicles like ML is so big that it shouldn't cause too much damage to passengers...
Saw some youtube videos and looks really scary though.

Your trip to Darwin via NSW and QLD sounds fantastic! Hope you enjoy that one too!!!

I always wanted to do long road trip. One day I want to do LA to NY in USA and even trans Siberian from Beijing to Paris!

The best longest I've done was from top of North island of NZ to bottom of South island. That was a fantastic journey!! But that is only about 2500km.

I think I will really enjoy my ML!
Yes I think Easter will be quite a good time to go too, but I don't think we'll ever see the day that NT goes back to an unlimited speed limit on their outback highways. If anything I heard they're considering dropping it to 110km/h in line with the other states' maximum speed limits. Now that would suck big time. Once you get a couple of hours north of Adelaide after Port Augusta the road opens right up and there's nothing around, but from here to the border of NT there's still about an 8 hour drive and that is all limited to 110km/h because you're still in the state of South Australia. But once you cross that border and see the 130 signs it's absolute bliss!

Hitting kangaroos is also something I can talk about. I've been a passenger in a car twice when we've hit one. The biggest problem here in Australia with wildlife running onto the road in front of you is people panicking and trying to avoid the animal by swerving around them at high speed, then losing control and hitting an oncoming vehicle or a tree, or and/or rolling their vehicle. I grew up in the country where kangaroos were around and I was always taught if one runs out in front of you just slam on the brakes as hard as possible to try to lessen the impact but do not try to swerve. You're better off hitting a kangaroo at let's say 80km/h than hitting a tree or rolling your car at anytime. This is all good assuming you don't have a huge semi-trailer (18 wheeler!) right behind you also travelling at highway speed. Then after impact there's also the possibility of the animal coming over your bonnet and breaking the windscreen and ending up inside the car! I heard a story from the USA where a guy hit a moose/deer and it came over the bonnet, broke the windscreen and ended up inside. The animal was still alive, and kicking and jumping around like crazy. Not sure if the guy died or he was just serverly cut to pieces. Anyway, imagine this at 200km/h!! Be super super careful if you plan to drive your ML at this speed at anytime.

So in a nutshell, best not to travel at times when it's difficult to see properly and at times when these animals are most active which is usually from dusk (so winter time around 4pm onwards, summer around 7pm) and all night right through to dawn (winter around 8am, summer around 6am). However, I saw 1 kangaroo hopping along the side of the road at midday up near Roma in Queensland a few years ago. So you just never never know.

I think if you hit anything at 200km/h you're sure to do lots of damage to your vehicle and almost certainly some injuries to the vehicle's occupants, even if it's only a kangaroo. These animals can be 2 metres tall and weigh 100kgs or more.

The Darwin via NSW & QLD trip is only a dream for now. I just enjoyed the last Central Aus trip so much I've always wanted to go back, and see some different places. I'll get to it one day hopefully!

We do think alike it seems, as I've recently done a 2 week USA road trip too. First week around San Francisco then a drive down to LA in a Hertz GLK350, then we swapped at Hertz in LA into a GL450 for the next week where he headed to Palm Springs, Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Las Vegas and back to LA. It was totally awesome. I'd also love to do the West to East coast drive one day!!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your ML too. I'm loving mine more each time I drive it. I can already feel it settling in, especially the transmission. I've still only done about 160kms in it so far as I've just been a bit busy, but next week we're off to Tasmania and we'll do at least 1200kms with all the places we plan to visit. I think this is going to be a great way to run the car in with the mix of city, highway & mountain driving over there. I can't wait to get past that initial 1500km run-in period and start to let it go a bit. I remember my W164 seemed to just get better & better right up to about 30,000kms. Our C250 has just turned over 10,000kms now and it's running in very well so far.

Hmm I'm tempted to go for another late night cruise now haha

Last edited by Benz Werd; 01-10-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 PM

Audi A4
Hi DNB,

In case if you haven't heard about your ML63, I thought I will share information I've got from my dealer.
I got my ML63 information from my dealer today and it says:
Date of order: 27/07/2012
Requested delivery date: 28/12/2012
Planned delivery date: 24/02/2013
Production date: 20/12/2012
ETA: 14/02/2013

I'm not too sure how WA is different from VIC.
But if you've ordered your ML63 in June, I guess it should be here before my one does since it's been ordered in July.

Hope it helps.

Originally Posted by DNB
Just be careful for waiting times.......... I ordered my ML63 in June 2012......told it will be here for Dec 2012 (which came and went) and now I've been told my ML should be here for March 2013, late due to "a shortage of Distronic Packages available".

i.e. In Australia, if ordering your car......be prepared to wait a longgggg time for delivery.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 PM

Audi A4
Didn't realized that Kangaroos are that big! lol

ANyway I got information about my vehicle today!! so excited. Searched the ship and found that it's still at Baltimore, USA.

I'm actually going to LA and NY next week to attend my cousin's wedding and I might just pick it up myself!!

Happy driving!

Yes I think Easter will be quite a good time to go too, but I don't think we'll ever see the day that NT goes back to an unlimited speed limit on their outback highways. If anything I heard they're considering dropping it to 110km/h in line with the other states' maximum speed limits. Now that would suck big time. Once you get a couple of hours north of Adelaide after Port Augusta the road opens right up and there's nothing around, but from here to the border of NT there's still about an 8 hour drive and that is all limited to 110km/h because you're still in the state of South Australia. But once you cross that border and see the 130 signs it's absolute bliss!

Hitting kangaroos is also something I can talk about. I've been a passenger in a car twice when we've hit one. The biggest problem here in Australia with wildlife running onto the road in front of you is people panicking and trying to avoid the animal by swerving around them at high speed, then losing control and hitting an oncoming vehicle or a tree, or and/or rolling their vehicle. I grew up in the country where kangaroos were around and I was always taught if one runs out in front of you just slam on the brakes as hard as possible to try to lessen the impact but do not try to swerve. You're better off hitting a kangaroo at let's say 80km/h than hitting a tree or rolling your car at anytime. This is all good assuming you don't have a huge semi-trailer (18 wheeler!) right behind you also travelling at highway speed. Then after impact there's also the possibility of the animal coming over your bonnet and breaking the windscreen and ending up inside the car! I heard a story from the USA where a guy hit a moose/deer and it came over the bonnet, broke the windscreen and ended up inside. The animal was still alive, and kicking and jumping around like crazy. Not sure if the guy died or he was just serverly cut to pieces. Anyway, imagine this at 200km/h!! Be super super careful if you plan to drive your ML at this speed at anytime.

So in a nutshell, best not to travel at times when it's difficult to see properly and at times when these animals are most active which is usually from dusk (so winter time around 4pm onwards, summer around 7pm) and all night right through to dawn (winter around 8am, summer around 6am). However, I saw 1 kangaroo hopping along the side of the road at midday up near Roma in Queensland a few years ago. So you just never never know.

I think if you hit anything at 200km/h you're sure to do lots of damage to your vehicle and almost certainly some injuries to the vehicle's occupants, even if it's only a kangaroo. These animals can be 2 metres tall and weigh 100kgs or more.

The Darwin via NSW & QLD trip is only a dream for now. I just enjoyed the last Central Aus trip so much I've always wanted to go back, and see some different places. I'll get to it one day hopefully!

We do think alike it seems, as I've recently done a 2 week USA road trip too. First week around San Francisco then a drive down to LA in a Hertz GLK350, then we swapped at Hertz in LA into a GL450 for the next week where he headed to Palm Springs, Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Las Vegas and back to LA. It was totally awesome. I'd also love to do the West to East coast drive one day!!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your ML too. I'm loving mine more each time I drive it. I can already feel it settling in, especially the transmission. I've still only done about 160kms in it so far as I've just been a bit busy, but next week we're off to Tasmania and we'll do at least 1200kms with all the places we plan to visit. I think this is going to be a great way to run the car in with the mix of city, highway & mountain driving over there. I can't wait to get past that initial 1500km run-in period and start to let it go a bit. I remember my W164 seemed to just get better & better right up to about 30,000kms. Our C250 has just turned over 10,000kms now and it's running in very well so far.

Hmm I'm tempted to go for another late night cruise now haha
Old 01-11-2013, 12:04 AM

Audi A4
Hi again DNB,

Maybe maybe yours and mine are on same ship!

BALTIMORE, MD U.S.A. 17/01/2013 19/01/2013
SAVANNAH, GA U.S.A. 22/01/2013 22/01/2013
MANZANILLO, PA PANAMA 26/01/2013 27/01/2013
BRISBANE AUSTRALIA 16/02/2013 17/02/2013
PORT KEMBLA AUSTRALIA 19/02/2013 20/02/2013
MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA 21/02/2013 22/02/2013
FREMANTLE AUSTRALIA 26/02/2013 28/02/2013
SINGAPORE SINGAPORE 06/03/2013 07/03/2013

Originally Posted by DNB
Just be careful for waiting times.......... I ordered my ML63 in June 2012......told it will be here for Dec 2012 (which came and went) and now I've been told my ML should be here for March 2013, late due to "a shortage of Distronic Packages available".

i.e. In Australia, if ordering your car......be prepared to wait a longgggg time for delivery.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Kangaroos are not usually a problem during the day, so when you get to beer o'clock, stop for a beer.

If you drive at night outback, then expect a roo to jump out.

Worse than a roo, especially after some rain, is black cattle that sleep on the road. They look like a puddle until you hit them!

My nighttime driving on unfenced outback roads is always limited to 80km/h.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 PM

2013 ML550
It's a factory fitted option and in Australia it is part of the Entertainment Package (EP1) which also includes the HK system, and rear entertainment screens in the back (which I'm still unable to get working!!).

It of course turns the video screen off as soon as you start to drive off, I think around 6-7km/h, but the sound still comes through. There is a way you can deactivate this though, which I'm considering also so my front seat passenger can watch while we're on the move. Check this video out .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWqOFuXoWd0. Anyway the thing that concerns me if I do this is I know I'll be tempted to sneak quick looks at whatever is showing and possibly have an accident. Not to mention the fact that it's highly illegal here!!

So it's not an option in the USA? You're in LA so I'm sure there's some place(s) that can do an aftermarket job for you. Sorry I can't help any more than that.

How do you find your ML550 anyway? How long have you had it, and how many miles have you done in it so far if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers!
Dang, there's no digital TV Tuner option in the US. I think I need to get an aftermarket MOD for it. My friend used to have a TV tuner for his front screen and it was great on road trips but reception was bad when you're out in nowhere.

I love my ML550. I got it my birthday weekend last October. I have about 3,000 miles on it. I drive back and forth between TX and LA very often so I'm racking up more miles than usual. I have a second car which I drive half of the time. I would never take the 550 to shop at Walmart. Everyone in LA is so lazy and they always leave the shopping cart in between cars.

Can you take a picture of your TV tuner interface? Does it look stock?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM

Audi A4
Arrived in LA few hours ago and the very first vehicle I saw as I leave the airport terminal was ML350! lol
Look forward to see many MLs during my stay in US!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by GTscrub
Dang, there's no digital TV Tuner option in the US. I think I need to get an aftermarket MOD for it. My friend used to have a TV tuner for his front screen and it was great on road trips but reception was bad when you're out in nowhere.

I love my ML550. I got it my birthday weekend last October. I have about 3,000 miles on it. I drive back and forth between TX and LA very often so I'm racking up more miles than usual. I have a second car which I drive half of the time. I would never take the 550 to shop at Walmart. Everyone in LA is so lazy and they always leave the shopping cart in between cars.

Can you take a picture of your TV tuner interface? Does it look stock?
Hi sorry for the slow reply to this message. Here is a photo which I hope helps! Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Does build date matter?-tv-tuner.jpg