M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

W166 2013 ML cornerning light replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 ML550 US spec. Air+Offroad pkg
W166 2013 ML cornerning light replacement?

As other threads have discussed, the cornering lights are not functional on the US Spec 2012-13 MLs with Lighting Package. My Dealer confirmed this, and also noted that the full Intelligent Light system isn't operational on US Spec (even though the light assemblies have that printed on them...don't be fooled! Only the mild turning function with the steering works.). Anyway, we are thinking that pulling the Headlight Assembly out (can pull out by unlocking the unit from inside the wheelwell) and simply inserting a bulb in the socket for the cornering light will allow the function to operate. Anyone outside of the US have a replacement bulb spec, or can pull yours out to see what kind of bulb it takes?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550, SRX, ML550
For what it's worth, on the S class it looks like it's a "H7": https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...ight-bulb.html
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM

'15 GL350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Leetom
...also noted that the full Intelligent Light system isn't operational on US Spec (even though the light assemblies have that printed on them...don't be fooled! Only the mild turning function with the steering works.).
Agree that US does not get the full functionality - but to say that only the directional function is all we get is not true. The ILS functions with auto-high beams very well. It automatically dips the high beams when appropriate. Just want folks to be clear.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by twodivers
Agree that US does not get the full functionality - but to say that only the directional function is all we get is not true. The ILS functions with auto-high beams very well. It automatically dips the high beams when appropriate. Just want folks to be clear.
ILS and AHA are not the same thing.

The full ILS system as available in Europe dynamically moderates the beam height depending on lighting conditions, oncoming traffic, etc. Our lights are very "dumb" in comparison with only AHA.

It's a real shame the US hasn't/won't homologate with European lighting standards. It would save us all money (manufacturers wouldn't have to develop/test/certify a separate lighting standard) and we'd have much better lighting. Oh, and no hideous amber reflectors on the front corners.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 PM

YYZ-E55 I concur. I have the full US Spec lighting package including the Adaptive High Beam, and, contrary to "twodivers", they do not independently dip (true for non-US spec, they DO dip, but not here), rather it is a dumb high-beam setting that just automatically turns on the brights if it detects no light...of no use in the city, as any light tends to disallow the high-beam operation, keeping it in lowbeam mode.

I wonder if the hardware is there to do the full ILS, just needs to be told to be active? Anyone have any luck activiating the full ILS on a new ML in the US?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,179 Likes on 848 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Cornering

Anyway, we are thinking that pulling the Headlight Assembly out (can pull out by unlocking the unit from inside the wheelwell) and simply inserting a bulb in the socket for the cornering light will allow the function to operate.
Go for it! Would love to get them functional. Something tells me, however, that programming would also be required.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Programming will be tough since the ECU is tied to the country code. Naturally, there is no programming provision for ILS in US/Canada.

They've really locked down what can and cannot be done in terms of the Xentry system.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 PM

2013 ML350 ,1996 Corvette CE, 2003 Toyota Highlander 4WD Limited
Maybe a bit of a software "tune" is in order

There is always discussion on this forum about engine "tune" modifications to software to increase engine performance. I'm sure the same kind of programming change should be possible to set our headlight systems free. Probably not a big enough market however for any of the tuner folks to be interested, but it would be nice.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NCMike
There is always discussion on this forum about engine "tune" modifications to software to increase engine performance. I'm sure the same kind of programming change should be possible to set our headlight systems free. Probably not a big enough market however for any of the tuner folks to be interested, but it would be nice.
Tuned headlights - like it! You're probably right about demand, though I'd pay a couple hundred or so to get them working.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 PM

Think it is in the Engineering Menu on the on-screen menu? I've seen that in other threads, but no definitions of what all of those parameters mean. I have not scrolled through them yet, but very tempted.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I live in the country where there is little traffic and no street lights whatsoever. Seventy-five percent of my driving is done on such roads. Game animals and critters of all sorts abound and the roads are cut close to the forests. With these conditions the lighting package was an absolute necessity for me and has made driving these roads at night a pleasure. I agree that the lighting package would be virtually useless for urban dwellers where the cornering function rather than the auto dim feature would be most useful.

I would have liked this function I suppose (and I thought it was part of the lighting package all along) but the wide field of view and the auto dim features of the adaptive lighting system are what is important to me. The cornering light ability would have been a nice bonus, but not a necessary one in my case.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GL 450
YYZ-E55 I concur. I have the full US Spec lighting package including the Adaptive High Beam, and, contrary to "twodivers", they do not independently dip (true for non-US spec, they DO dip, but not here), rather it is a dumb high-beam setting that just automatically turns on the brights if it detects no light.
Are you sure it's not just that they operate together (left and right) rather than independently? My 2011 E350 definitely dipped continuously where it was able to -- I could watch the high-beams become lower and lower when out driving in rural areas as an oncoming car approached. It needed to be rural, mind you, because other lights will keep them off entirely, but it was terrific on road trips.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:14 PM

2013 ML350 ,1996 Corvette CE, 2003 Toyota Highlander 4WD Limited
JBONDOX thread says he added them

The following was copied from a thread where JBONDOX detailed his installation of the ILS. Maybe he will chime in with what it might take to bring our 2013 ILS to life.

"... everything was perfect.

lights, running lights, DRL, turn signals, high beams, self leveling, and active curve illumination... works flawlessly. both in auto and with switching of the switch to on. Also the delayed lighting to light up your drive or walk when you turn the key off.

So in a nut shell, buy the vehicle with the damn lights, if you don't it might be cheaper to trade into another vehicle... or park it in a flood zone and let it float away...either would be cheaper than adding the factory kit to the ML.

Factory lighting package

•Bi-Xenon headlamps with Active Curve Illumination
•Adaptive Highbeam Assist
•Headlamp washing system
$1,290

This was about $4k and did not include the headlight washing system.

But it is possible. I will post more pics later but it looks like I am losing power as the lights were flickering... hell just like the aftermarket system I posted the other post early so I wouldn't lose it. not for the drama"
Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NCMike
The following was copied from a thread where JBONDOX detailed his installation of the ILS. Maybe he will chime in with what it might take to bring our 2013 ILS to life.

"... everything was perfect.

lights, running lights, DRL, turn signals, high beams, self leveling, and active curve illumination... works flawlessly. both in auto and with switching of the switch to on. Also the delayed lighting to light up your drive or walk when you turn the key off.

So in a nut shell, buy the vehicle with the damn lights, if you don't it might be cheaper to trade into another vehicle... or park it in a flood zone and let it float away...either would be cheaper than adding the factory kit to the ML.

Factory lighting package

•Bi-Xenon headlamps with Active Curve Illumination
•Adaptive Highbeam Assist
•Headlamp washing system
$1,290

This was about $4k and did not include the headlight washing system.

But it is possible. I will post more pics later but it looks like I am losing power as the lights were flickering... hell just like the aftermarket system I posted the other post early so I wouldn't lose it. not for the drama"
He installed the NAFTA-spec lights, which are not ILS-enabled.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM

'15 GL350 Bluetec
So, I have my AHA active, driving on the highway. There is oncoming traffic, and my beams "dip" down and then, as the oncoming traffic passes, they light up again. Similarly, as I approach traffic from behind, the high beams again "dip". I agree left and right do not work independently, and we don't get the full Euro ILS system. But, I'll repeat, to characterize the N. American system as "Only the mild turning function with the steering..." as LeeTom does, is not correct. BTW, LeeTom, I never did say they independently dip, sorry if I misled anyone, that was not my intent.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by twodivers
So, I have my AHA active, driving on the highway. There is oncoming traffic, and my beams "dip" down and then, as the oncoming traffic passes, they light up again. Similarly, as I approach traffic from behind, the high beams again "dip". I agree left and right do not work independently, and we don't get the full Euro ILS system. But, I'll repeat, to characterize the N. American system as "Only the mild turning function with the steering..." as LeeTom does, is not correct. BTW, LeeTom, I never did say they independently dip, sorry if I misled anyone, that was not my intent.
Yes, I find mine vary beam pattern depending on conditions (only over 34 mph). The system can be fooled by street lighting.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 PM

2013 ML350 4Matic
I have had the opportunity to drive my ML after dark on an extremely rural stretch of highway. One stretch of 10 miles or so had no other traffic, coming or going, and absolutley no street lights or any other artificial light. Nevertheless, the headlights occasionaly dimmed automatically, which was dangerous given the number of deer near the road. I had to switch back to manual control. I wonder if reflective road signs were fooling the system.

In another stretch where there were only a few cars and fewer deer, I tried it on automatic and it did seem that the degree of dimming was adaptive. When it worked it was terrific - too bad I couldn't count on it.