Notices
M-Class (W166) 2012, Read about the upcoming M-Class

Satin Ash Wood

 
Old 02-04-2013, 03:24 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Satin Ash Wood

Hello, I will be ordering my ML in a week or so. I know many of you like the bown satin ash "open pore" wood trim, but don't like the matching wood wheel as it is a bit more glossy. Does anyone out there have this combination and actually like it? Photos are welcome...thanks. I will be ordering the Designo interior with Auburn Brown (as many of you know).

Last edited by MB.Suv; 02-04-2013 at 05:21 PM.
MB.Suv is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 PM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
NCMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350 ,1996 Corvette CE, 2003 Toyota Highlander 4WD Limited
I have the brown satin ash trim with the leather wheel, so no problem with different wood grains. I really like the look of the satin ash, and had decided that for my use the leather wrapped wheel was really more comfortable.
NCMike is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Mike, so you opted for a leather wheel for comfort reasons. I have wondered if the all leather wheel may be a bit more comfortable than the inconsistency of cold wood and leather. Anyone know what the Designo leather wheel looks like?

Last edited by MB.Suv; 02-04-2013 at 05:19 PM.
MB.Suv is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 07:28 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,945
Likes: 0
Received 580 Likes on 450 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Thw wood leather Satin Ash wheel looks a bit darker, and since it's a wheels its more smoothly finished... I wouldn't say "glossy" since its still a matt look, but since it's a hweel its not the same "open grain" look of the flat trim.

That said, it's quite a nice wheel, complements the cabin wheel... and that added look of the wood/leather wheel is my favorite over "standard" all-leather wheels. The exception for me are the leather "sport wheels" which also complement cabin look well.

Keep the beat !
fabbrisd1 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 07:34 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
The "sport wheel" does look nice but it's not an option with a Designo interior...right? It only comes with the sport interior?
MB.Suv is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,945
Likes: 0
Received 580 Likes on 450 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I think you may be overboard with Designo for a BT, loading up Designo in a ML550 would make more sense - and if Auburn, personally the Auburn leather non-Designo is a much better look.

Designo black, awesome, especially matched with added Designo Piano Lacquer trim.. - Designo Porcelain and Designo Auburn not so much my thing at all...

I love the ML350BT - great vehicle - but all the other goodies should come 1st before adding Designo - and if Auburn is the color you want, then frankly Designo Auburn "crowds" the cabin..
fabbrisd1 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:02 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
NCMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350 ,1996 Corvette CE, 2003 Toyota Highlander 4WD Limited
Originally Posted by MB.Suv View Post
Mike, so you opted for a leather wheel for comfort reasons. I have wondered if the all leather wheel may be a bit more comfortable than the inconsistency of cold wood and leather. Anyone know what the Designo leather wheel looks like?
Yes, The wood leather wheel looks nice, but I really like the feel of the all leather wheel, and it tends to be more comfortable in temperature extremes. Personal preference, but I'm happy with the all leather wheel.
NCMike is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,978
Received 277 Likes on 202 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2015 BMW M4 Coupe
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 View Post
I think you may be overboard with Designo for a BT, loading up Designo in a ML550 would make more sense - and if Auburn, personally the Auburn leather non-Designo is a much better look.

Designo black, awesome, especially matched with added Designo Piano Lacquer trim.. - Designo Porcelain and Designo Auburn not so much my thing at all...

I love the ML350BT - great vehicle - but all the other goodies should come 1st before adding Designo - and if Auburn is the color you want, then frankly Designo Auburn "crowds" the cabin..
I agree. Non-Designo with leather wheel would be just fine.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
I must say I have been second guessing myself on the Designo for awhile now, maybe that's why I asked so many questions. The Designo in brown does seem to crowd the cabin with the two tone look.

I am going to order the 350 in Palladium silver. So maybe I should just get a non-designo grey leather interior (or auburn brown, but now I am waivering on that color even with a normal interior). Should I get the Sport interior or just the normal interior? Do the seats look the same with sport vs normal interior?

Would multi-contour benefit someone 5'8" tall at 165lbs?

I know I'm a bit off topic but I could be going in the right direction now.

Last edited by MB.Suv; 02-04-2013 at 10:55 PM.
MB.Suv is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,978
Received 277 Likes on 202 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2015 BMW M4 Coupe
Sport interior

Originally Posted by MB.Suv View Post
I am going to order the 350 in Palladium silver. So maybe I should just get a non-designo grey leather interior (or auburn brown, but now I am waivering on that color even with a normal interior). Should I get the Sport interior or just the normal interior? Do the seats look the same with sport vs normal interior?
The Sport seats (different design and more bolstering), wheel and pedals are great, but be aware you are limited to black premium leather (or black MBTex/Dinamica inserts). Here is mine in black leather:

GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 AM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
DES1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65
headliner

I that the DINAMICA headliner ?
DES1 is offline  
Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 AM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,978
Received 277 Likes on 202 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2015 BMW M4 Coupe
Originally Posted by DES1 View Post
I that the DINAMICA headliner ?
No, just the optional black fabric.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 02-06-2013, 02:12 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
DES1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65
thanks

Perfect - (the Arctic White is wicked)
DES1 is offline  
Old 02-07-2013, 03:29 AM
  #14  
Super Member
 
iankayem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 624
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Originally Posted by MB.Suv View Post
I must say I have been second guessing myself on the Designo for awhile now, maybe that's why I asked so many questions. The Designo in brown does seem to crowd the cabin with the two tone look.

I am going to order the 350 in Palladium silver. So maybe I should just get a non-designo grey leather interior (or auburn brown, but now I am waivering on that color even with a normal interior). Should I get the Sport interior or just the normal interior? Do the seats look the same with sport vs normal interior?

Would multi-contour benefit someone 5'8" tall at 165lbs?

I know I'm a bit off topic but I could be going in the right direction now.
I have the satin ash as the other trims glare in the afternoon sun.
I also have all leather wheel which is great.
And I have the two tone grey on black which looks stunning. This also comes with the black headliner. And it suits the Palladium silver.
iankayem is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 PM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 86
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 ML350
Getting into my car after it's been parked in the hot summer sun (here in Georgia) cured me of wanting the wood wheel! It looks really nice, but with my current 2013 ML550, I went with the all leather wheel.
schroedinger is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 PM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,978
Received 277 Likes on 202 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2015 BMW M4 Coupe
Wood wheels

Originally Posted by schroedinger View Post
Getting into my car after it's been parked in the hot summer sun (here in Georgia) cured me of wanting the wood wheel! It looks really nice, but with my current 2013 ML550, I went with the all leather wheel.
Wood wheels should be relegated to vintage cars. A Nardi on a pre-80s Merc would fit, but not on today's cars. JMHO.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 11:28 PM
  #17  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150
Originally Posted by MB.Suv View Post
Hello, I will be ordering my ML in a week or so. I know many of you like the bown satin ash "open pore" wood trim, but don't like the matching wood wheel as it is a bit more glossy. Does anyone out there have this combination and actually like it? Photos are welcome...thanks. I will be ordering the Designo interior with Auburn Brown (as many of you know).
We went to the dealer to inspect the OPBA trim and wood steering wheel.

I found both highly objectionable.

The wood is so heavily grained that it formed a distraction.
The steering wheel is so slick that it could be problematic during normal driving maneuvers. Beyond the slick wood, the wheel has no "nubs" on the rear surface to improve grip.



The trim above the glove box was significantly more grained than any of the door trim.





If you like your MB looking like the side of an oak coffin or a Louisville Slugger baseball bat, their Open Pore Brown Ash is just what your doctor ordered.
PopDisplay is offline  
Old 01-03-2015, 01:27 PM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Nanook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,218
Likes: 0
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Every tree is different..therefore every vehicle will have a different grain and likely appearance...this is how MB wanted it to look otherwise they would have filled it more..
Nanook is offline  
Old 01-03-2015, 06:03 PM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,978
Received 277 Likes on 202 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2015 BMW M4 Coupe
Satin Ash trim

Originally Posted by PopDisplay View Post
We went to the dealer to inspect the OPBA trim and wood steering wheel.

I found both highly objectionable.

The wood is so heavily grained that it formed a distraction.
The steering wheel is so slick that it could be problematic during normal driving maneuvers. Beyond the slick wood, the wheel has no "nubs" on the rear surface to improve grip.


The trim above the glove box was significantly more grained than any of the door trim.
If you like your MB looking like the side of an oak coffin or a Louisville Slugger baseball bat, their Open Pore Brown Ash is just what your doctor ordered.
As Nanook says, it's a natural material so grain will vary. Don't know if MB has changed it in the last couple years, but I think it is quite attractive in my car (see post #10 photo). Anything is better than the typical gloss plastic-coated wood, IMO.
Attached Thumbnails Satin Ash Wood-dsc_3507-sm.jpg  
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 01-07-2015, 05:52 AM
  #20  
27T
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 511
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13ML BT
Everyone compliments my satin ash. Even a couple of S-Class drivers.
27T is offline  
Old 01-07-2015, 08:34 AM
  #21  
Member
 
Kenn1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 121
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML550
I don't think anybody has sat in my truck without commenting on the interior (auburn designo /satin ash.) The service people at the dealership have even commented. Over 2 years old and it looks brand new and that's with 2 kids and a golden retriever.
Kenn1926 is offline  
Old 01-07-2015, 01:47 PM
  #22  
Member
 
SmokinReefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 92
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
People climb in my 2010 ML with gloss trim and just ride along. When they climb in my 2014 I get all kinds of good comments about the satin trim. People love it. Looks real nice, especially with the wrapped dash. Throw in the ambient lighting and NightView and it just wows people during the evening rides.

FYI, the NightView works, but it's just not that useful. Would be much better if it was projected on windshield where it would be easier to watch
SmokinReefer is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Satin Ash Wood


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: