M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

ML Roof Racks - Whispbar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML250
ML Roof Racks - Whispbar

I ride bikes quiet alot (as the username suggests) and all our cars have roof racks and mounts for bike transportation. The ML was no different, so after some research and shopping, I went with a set of Whispbar racks.

Previously I've used Rola and Thule, personally I've found Rola to quieter then the Thule but reading about the Whispbar, these bars should be even quieter.

Decided on the Whispbar S56 roof rack, its the slim line version that doesn't protrude over the actual rails. So it sits flush on the ML's rails. (will take photos and post em up soon).

Will give a better review once they are up and running with the bikes mounts mounted Stay tuned!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:42 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
2013 S550, 2009 E320, 2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Bike Rider
I ride bikes quiet alot (as the username suggests) and all our cars have roof racks and mounts for bike transportation. The ML was no different, so after some research and shopping, I went with a set of Whispbar racks.

Previously I've used Rola and Thule, personally I've found Rola to quieter then the Thule but reading about the Whispbar, these bars should be even quieter.

Decided on the Whispbar S56 roof rack, its the slim line version that doesn't protrude over the actual rails. So it sits flush on the ML's rails. (will take photos and post em up soon).

Will give a better review once they are up and running with the bikes mounts mounted Stay tuned!
I'm in the market right now deciding what to buy for my ML. How do you like your bars? Thanks!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350
I use SeaSucker to mount my bike. Fits all cars so I don't have to buy different bike racks.

I believe they make luggage kits.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 PM

ML250
I previously used Thule (before the wingbar was released) on my Subaru and made the switch to Rola GTX Series.

The old Thule was pretty noisy, but I'm sure they would have fixed it up with the new Wing Bar. The Rola GTX is pretty quiet IMO. So it lives on the Subie until an upgrade to the Whispbar is needed.

HIGHLY recommend the Whispbar for your ML for several reasons. Firstly its quieter then the "old" Thule and quieter still, then the Rola. Big plus for me cause the wife doesn't realise its even on the car. She's not tall enough see over the ML. It's also silver in colour, which matches the ML rails. I've got the racks which fit inside the rails meaning there is no over hang like some of the other brands. Sure it does take away from the width but with three bike carriers, there is no issues.

Gotta note, that when the bike carrier's are fitted, the wind level does increase but really, from the cabin with all windows up, it's negligible.

Not a great pic but yeah, it is barely noticeable on the car.
Attached Thumbnails ML Roof Racks - Whispbar-photo.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 07:51 PM

ML250
And just in case anyone is wondering or needs information on actual bike carriers.. here are my reviews on the ones I use. I ride different bikes, Carbon, Ti, Scandium, Alloy and Steel.

Thule ProRide 591 - Great, keeps both wheels on, super easy to get the bike on and off. Best for the mountain bike cause there is no need to place the front wheel in the boot. If you're born abit short, then get a step ladder, it'll help you reach the clamp that connects to the frame Does tend to sway the bike from side to side however I believe this is by design. No need for different front axle adapters. IMO Carbon friendly, just don't be a spartan and crank the clamp until you hear it crack. Wind noise for sure. Lockable BUT do a utube search on the interwebs.. frightening.

Thule Outride 561 - Solid. Front wheels comes off and into the book, super carbon friendly. Did I mention rock solid? Bike is fixed down to the carrier so there is NO movement, just remember drive thrus and **** like that... Underground parking is a no no. One thing about this carrier is that it does sit way back in the rack so BE CAREFUL when you open the boot lid. I had to make adjustments to where the rack that connects to the ML rail situate. Move it forward so the back of the carrier does not over hang over the boot opening space. Lockable, but not the 15mm axle version.

Rola Roof Top Bike Carrier - No lock, well the one I have doesn't have one, it's about 3 years old. Solid, just works, no bull**** carrier. BUT does not fit the Whispbar as this is soley used on the Rola GTX rack. The quietest of the three I have.

Ordered - Rocky Mount Euro Pitchfork..... comes in a choice of colours, has locks, so stay tuned
Old 08-21-2013, 11:33 PM

2013 ML350
I previously used Thule (before the wingbar was released) on my Subaru and made the switch to Rola GTX Series.

The old Thule was pretty noisy, but I'm sure they would have fixed it up with the new Wing Bar. The Rola GTX is pretty quiet IMO. So it lives on the Subie until an upgrade to the Whispbar is needed.

HIGHLY recommend the Whispbar for your ML for several reasons. Firstly its quieter then the "old" Thule and quieter still, then the Rola. Big plus for me cause the wife doesn't realise its even on the car. She's not tall enough see over the ML. It's also silver in colour, which matches the ML rails. I've got the racks which fit inside the rails meaning there is no over hang like some of the other brands. Sure it does take away from the width but with three bike carriers, there is no issues.

Gotta note, that when the bike carrier's are fitted, the wind level does increase but really, from the cabin with all windows up, it's negligible.

Off topic but what size wheels are those ?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:44 PM

W166
I have the original MB racks and it is really noisy.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:58 PM

ML250
Originally Posted by SuPER__S
Off topic but what size wheels are those ?
21's

Originally Posted by leandrowlat
I have the original MB racks and it is really noisy.
Yeah, I kinda thought that as well. A mate has a C class and got the original roof racks and it did make some noise.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:22 PM

ml350 bluetec
I have the MB racks with a MB luggage carrier and though their is some noise and somewhat more when the panarama roof is open.
What I hear mostly is suction like sounds of the Continental tires.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:01 PM

M 350 Bluetec

Do you have the pano sunroof? I've heard they interfere. Not sure i care, since I will only use the bars in the winter and the sunroof stays shut.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:23 PM

ML250
Originally Posted by shahineo
Do you have the pano sunroof? I've heard they interfere. Not sure i care, since I will only use the bars in the winter and the sunroof stays shut.
No pano sunroof, just the normal one.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:58 PM

2013 ML350
Where did you purchase the Whispbar S56 from and price ?