M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Multi-contour seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 GLS500. Previously '14 C250, '13 ML500, '12 C250, '08 ML500, '07 E500 & '03 A160
Multi-contour seats

Sure enough, exactly as I expected, not even 2 months after I've taken delivery of my new ML MBAuP has now added multi-contour seats to the specifications list. Argh! I am so disappointed. This was an option on the US spec list when I ordered mine some time ago, and I asked my dealer all about it but I wasn't able to select that option at the time. I love my new car, but not having the MCS is one of the things I really miss about my W164. In the newie the seats feel a little flat and I just can't seem to be able to get as comfortable as before.

Anyway, nothing I can really do about now unless I sell this one and order another newie, unless they can be retrofitted! I haven't asked the dealer about this yet, but thought I'd throw the feelers out here and see if anyone knows anything.

Thanks in advance folks!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
Having just done over 5 hours on two consecutive days I agree the stock seats are a little too firm. Anatomically I'm got no complaints. My back, which is the first to notice poor seats, was quite happy. Just after a few hours of constant seat time I started to notice the flat seat cushion was a little too hard under my *** and thighs.
If something is contoured, hard is ok as the lbs per square inch is less. But if it is flatter - not so good.

Maybe some contour seats will turn up from a wrecker one day.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 PM

'17 GLS500. Previously '14 C250, '13 ML500, '12 C250, '08 ML500, '07 E500 & '03 A160
Thanks jellies

I realise the multi-contour seats will have extra bladders fitted inside than just our standard lumbar support seats already have. But was wondering (and hoping) these extra bladders may already be there and it's just a software upgrade. I guess that is wishful thinking. And if so why MB wouldn't have just hooked them up is beyond me.

I failed to mention I have a designo interior. I was hoping due to the extra $$$ I'd spent to get designo the MCS would just be a part of it but not so.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks again
Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Of course you can retrofit it- just the dealer isn't the right place to ask. Do an MBWorld search for MBenzNL on Google and you'll see that anything is possible.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
'16 Jaguar F-Type R, '21 GLE63s
Originally Posted by AussieBenzLover
But was wondering (and hoping) these extra bladders may already be there and it's just a software upgrade. I guess that is wishful thinking. And if so why MB wouldn't have just hooked them up is beyond me.
Multi-contour is more than just extra bladders. It also includes a massage function built within the seat. I'm pretty sure that if you want to retrofit it, you will have to replace the entire seat. I'm guessing you will also have to get it coded to the computer also because I think some of the functions are controlled through the Command system.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML550 Paladium Silver/Brown Satin Ash
I wouldn't fret too much about not have the multi-contour seats. I had ordered them with great expectation, thinking they would be like the multi-contour seats in my old X5. But they are not even close...really no additional thigh support since the little balloon inflates downward, not up toward the inside of your knee. The side bolsters don't really wrap around you, but just become a like bumps. And the massage function, which only goes up and down the back, is pretty lame...hardly feel anything. And so far, they keep failing on me, resulting in multiple days in the shop and now a third return trip to get the driver side working again.

I think the best bet, if you don't need ventilated seats, is to order the sports interior that has the sports seats...that is, if you plan to drive aggressively, i.e, have Active Curve.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Won't need a brand new seats. You'll likely need new seat cushions, bladders, air compressor, lines, wiring, coding. Really not too complicated if you talk to the guy I mentioned above.

I retrofitted ventilated seats and the install was a breeze. I wouldn't sweat it! (pun not intended!)
Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 AM

xxGenericSNxx thanks for your info. I had a look at MBenzML. They're in The Netherlands and I'm in Australia! Anyway, after looking through their website it appears they could be the guys to talk to, but I don't think I want to go to the trouble of pulling my whole car's interior apart. I was hoping it would just be a simple software upgrade. This whole scenario has realy put a bad taste in my mouth towards MB. I see no reason whatsoever why they wouldn't make them available to order when I did so last year, when they were options available in the USA and other parts of the world too.
another_geek thanks for your reply. Yes it appears the whole seat would need to be changed. I certainly aint doing that. I believe all of the functions for MCS & seat massaging are controlled through COMAND now. There's a small section on it in the owners manual, which has also annoyed the hell out of me, as it shows the feature was available when my car was built, MBAuP just refused to allow me to select that option.
Masterbuyer thanks for your reply also. I have been reading about your experience with your dealer and MCS and it sort of makes me feel a little better about not having them, but not completely. Is this the only thing you miss about your X5 though? I'm always interested to speak to ex-BMW owners who are now driving MBs and hear their comments on comparing the two brands. I personally feel the current ML runs rings around the current X5. I drove a xDrive 5.0i last year before I ordered my ML and it was a no-brainer to go with the Benz again. Might be a totally different ball game when the new X5 arrives soon though. I do have ventilated front seats. Sports seats weren't an option for us to order. I've also got active curve, which to me makes more sense that MCS should be fitted as standard gear on my model. Anyway, I hope your MB dealer can sort out your issues soon and get you back to loving your car and the brand.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

@AussieBenzLover
I've had the same disdain towards MBUSA for decades now. While the US gets the cheapest cars in the world, and our base models usually are fairly well loaded, we miss out on the top of the line options that are often times offered in the rest of the world. MB didn't offer the Vented seats on my car until a few model years later, even though it's been offered since the beginning in Europe.

So with this you can really make one of two decisions. You can either suck it up and live with it or you can do something about it and get it done. I've taken both paths on various cars and of course they both have their advantages and disadvantages. It's probably quite naive to think it can be fixed with a software update when it's most certainly related to hardware, but we're all dreamers at one point or another.

Like you, I just wish they offer everything to begin with! (and to another extent, I wish they just made it so every car has everything standard!)
Old 02-26-2013, 05:22 AM

ML63 AMG W166, CLK200K, ML320CDI
Originally Posted by Masterbuyer
I wouldn't fret too much about not have the multi-contour seats. I had ordered them with great expectation, thinking they would be like the multi-contour seats in my old X5. But they are not even close...really no additional thigh support since the little balloon inflates downward, not up toward the inside of your knee. The side bolsters don't really wrap around you, but just become a like bumps. And the massage function, which only goes up and down the back, is pretty lame...hardly feel anything. And so far, they keep failing on me, resulting in multiple days in the shop and now a third return trip to get the driver side working again.

I think the best bet, if you don't need ventilated seats, is to order the sports interior that has the sports seats...that is, if you plan to drive aggressively, i.e, have Active Curve.
I have to disagree. Whether they are better or not compared to your old X5 seats is totally irrelevant. What is important is whether they are better than stock seats or sport seats of a Mercedes. While I did not have a long term experience with the W166 Sports Seats (only in the Demo cars) I had the sports seats in the W164 and can compare with the Multi Contour seats of my current ML (W166, with Active Curve) and the multi contour seats in my past Mercs or other Mercs I drive. The Multi Contour seats are definitely better than the standard seats, the sports seats included. I have a back problem and have difficulty finding a comfortable position. With the Multi Contour Seats I can find it, and if I have a sore back the massage is quite soothing. Having said that, the best seats in the business are the dynamic multi contour of the S-Class. At the peak of my back problem, the only car I could be driven in (I could not drive - so serious was the problem) at any distance without pain was the S-Class which had not only excellent seats, it also had impact absorbing seats. The X5 (with multi countour / extending seats) was abysmal and was in constant pain as I could feel every road imperfection transmitted to my spine.

As to the controller, I was sorry to see the old rocker switches replaced by a comand controller - Mercedes succumbed to fashion for "interfaces" (i.e. followed BMW / AUDI) instead of pragmatic ergonomics. Not only is it more difficult/non-intuitive to adjust, it appears from your experience that it can be problematic. Hope they sort it out quickly for you.

Bottom line: If you want them, and the cost is reasonable to retrofi, then do install them. I delayed my order until they became available on RHD market.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:29 AM

I have to disagree. Whether they are better or not compared to your old X5 seats is totally irrelevant. What is important is whether they are better than stock seats or sport seats of a Mercedes. While I did not have a long term experience with the W166 Sports Seats (only in the Demo cars) I had the sports seats in the W164 and can compare with the Multi Contour seats of my current ML (W166, with Active Curve) and the multi contour seats in my past Mercs or other Mercs I drive. The Multi Contour seats are definitely better than the standard seats, the sports seats included. I have a back problem and have difficulty finding a comfortable position. With the Multi Contour Seats I can find it, and if I have a sore back the massage is quite soothing. Having said that, the best seats in the business are the dynamic multi contour of the S-Class. At the peak of my back problem, the only car I could be driven in (I could not drive - so serious was the problem) at any distance without pain was the S-Class which had not only excellent seats, it also had impact absorbing seats. The X5 (with multi countour / extending seats) was abysmal and was in constant pain as I could feel every road imperfection transmitted to my spine.

As to the controller, I was sorry to see the old rocker switches replaced by a comand controller - Mercedes succumbed to fashion for "interfaces" (i.e. followed BMW / AUDI) instead of pragmatic ergonomics. Not only is it more difficult/non-intuitive to adjust, it appears from your experience that it can be problematic. Hope they sort it out quickly for you.

Bottom line: If you want them, and the cost is reasonable to retrofi, then do install them. I delayed my order until they became available on RHD market.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 AM

Bottom line: If you want them, and the cost is reasonable to retrofiT, then do install them. I delayed my order until they became available on RHD market.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:36 AM

Bottom line: If you want them, and the cost is reasonable to retrofiT, then do install them. I delayed my order until they became available on RHD market.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by AussieBenzLover
Thanks jellies

I realise the multi-contour seats will have extra bladders fitted inside than just our standard lumbar support seats already have. But was wondering (and hoping) these extra bladders may already be there and it's just a software upgrade. I guess that is wishful thinking. And if so why MB wouldn't have just hooked them up is beyond me.

I failed to mention I have a designo interior. I was hoping due to the extra $$$ I'd spent to get designo the MCS would just be a part of it but not so.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks again
Retrofit is totally possible, but you'd need to replace the seat covers and foam, as well as add the side bladders and front bladder (for seat length extension), control modules etc. Then you need to replace the console switches and COMAND software (as the controls are integrated).

I have them and the side bolsters are great, but its lame they're not dynamic.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:44 AM
ipp

W166 ML350 BT
I had the MCS in my E-Class (S212) and like you coming from BMW:s comfort seats I didn't think they were much to boast about. So I settled for the sport seats this time and I think they are as comfortable as the seats I had in the E-class.

With Merc you must up to S-class or CL to get real seats.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by ipp
I had the MCS in my E-Class (S212) and like you coming from BMW:s comfort seats I didn't think they were much to boast about. So I settled for the sport seats this time and I think they are as comfortable as the seats I had in the E-class.

With Merc you must up to S-class or CL to get real seats.
Funny - I find the S/CL seats are the worst and the E Sedan has the best DD MC seats (excluding AMG models). On the S/CL, the side bolsters just push you up out of the seat rather than wrapping around you. The ML is somewhere in the middle for me.

Last edited by YYZ-E55; 02-27-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 AM
ipp

W166 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Funny - I find the S/CL seats are the worst and the E Sedan has the best DD MC seats. On the S/CL, the side bolsters just push you up out of the seat rather than wrapping around you. The ML is somewhere in the middle for me.
Don't get me wrong, I liked the E-class seats. I just liked the fact that you really could extend the seat in the BMW other than just pump up a balloon like with MCS. Also that with BMW:s comfort seats you can fold the upper part of the seat independably which is nice if you are tall.

I have not lived with a S/CL but i drove my presumptive father in law´s CL500 (same as CL550) from sothern Sweden to Berlin, Germany. That's about a 7 hour drive and I thought the seats were really good.

Every time I ask a taxidriver here they allways says that E-class and Volvo V70 has the best seats. On the other hand there aren't many S-class taxis, but there are some.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:09 PM

ML 350 Bluetec
I have the multi-contour seats on my 2013 ML350BTC, and I am quite happy with them. I agree with the prior post - I had a Volvo S80 and an XC70 - which have some of the most comfortable seats I've ever driven in. I actually chose both of those cars based on the seat, because I've had back surgery and am sensitive to seats that don't fit well. However, if you are certain heights, their fixed headrests can hit you in just the wrong spot.

What I like most about the ML's multi-contour seats is the ability to literally dial in the lumbar height and protrusion and to adjust the headrest both up and down and in and out (not unique to multi-contour).

Between the the various adjustments my 5' tall (she claims...) wife and 6' 6'' buddy and everyone else who has sat in the ML have been able to get comfortable. Combined with the seat heater and massage function, it makes my 50 mile commute into San Francisco quite comfortable.

I do find it a bit of a pain to have to use the Comand system to adjust the seat/start the massage. I think the hand held controller that I saw in the E-Coupe is a little easier to use.

I was also surprised that the inside side bolster does not inflate when you go into a curve. I had experienced that function when driving my friend's S-Class so was expecting it in my ML's seats. Apparently, I either don't have the function or need to figure out how to turn it on.