M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Having some issues with 2 week old ML350 BlueTec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota
Having some issues with 2 week old ML350 BlueTec

So just picked up a new ML and immediately noticed that at speeds of 70MPH+ there is a shimmy vibration that I can feel through the wheel and also throughout the car.

Also, the other issue is with the transmission shifting. It's often very rough when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes from 1st to 2nd. Almost like it's slipping. It did in fact slip on the 3rd day whilst I was going on an on ramp for a parking garage. Temperature makes no difference and how long the car has been running for makes no difference. I'd say 8 out of the 10 times I drive the transmission feels rough.

Any ideas???
Old 02-26-2013, 09:36 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
When I had my 2012 blutec it was as smooth as glass at 70+. I did notice the transmission slip but it was only in the first minute or so when the car trans was cold. After that it was fine.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
New car issues

Originally Posted by harrish
So just picked up a new ML and immediately noticed that at speeds of 70MPH+ there is a shimmy vibration that I can feel through the wheel and also throughout the car.

Also, the other issue is with the transmission shifting. It's often very rough when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes from 1st to 2nd. Almost like it's slipping. It did in fact slip on the 3rd day whilst I was going on an on ramp for a parking garage. Temperature makes no difference and how long the car has been running for makes no difference. I'd say 8 out of the 10 times I drive the transmission feels rough.
Shimmy is likely a tire/wheel balance issue. Ask your dealer to do a road force balance on all four. Transmission I have no clue on, although I do know the tranny will adapt to your driving habits with some time.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 PM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by harrish

Any ideas???
Rest assured for the first problem you have is what I had few months ago with my 2013 Ml350 bluetec. The car would have vibration in the steering wheel and seat. I had them road force balanced because I knew few tires were defective and the road force readings showed that 3 tires were out of round. Have them do this and they will replace the bad tires under warranty. Do not let them have any road force greater than 10-12 lbs because you want to have the smoothest ride and some tires are not perfectly round and can feel rough on the highways despite being well balanced.

Go to this forum and read at the bottom about my issue and how I got it resolved.

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...ppy-tyres.html

The car has Pirelli Scorpion Verdes. The car has been very smooth and quiet with no vibration for the past 4k miles since the solved the problem in the first few hundred miles. The Pirellis are awesome.

Break in your car and after 2-3k miles the engine will be looser and the transmission should ease in better as it adapts to your driving style. Its been great for me so far. I am very picky just to let you know.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 PM

Toyota
My car came with Dunlop's. Is that normal? I'm very particular as well which is why I find it appealing that my $25k VW Jetta rides and shifts smoother than the ML.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:33 AM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
Some people had issues with the Dunlops and Continentals tires on this car too. I am not sure why the factory is not doing the road force balance check on all the tires/rims before they are mounted on the car and leaving the problem for the customers and dealers to deal with.

My Ml350 bluetec shifts smooth as butter and is very responsive. I have had issues with transmission lag and hesitation on a new Audi and BMW that I got reprogrammed or reflash if they did not improve after break in. This did eliminated the problem.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 PM

'13 ML350 Bluetec, '16 Subaru Legacy; '94 Toyota Pickup
My 4 day old 2013 ML350BT runs very smoothly on Continental tires`at all speeds and shifts perfectly. However this evening I did detect a slip shifting between 1st and 2nd and 2nd to 3rd when first starting out but that quickly cleared up.