M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Vibration/shudder when slowing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 ML350 BT, '10 C63 (gone)
Vibration/shudder when slowing?

I've had my ML350BT for about a month now and I notice that there's a bit of a shudder/vibration when slowing to a stop or to make a turn. This seems to occur most frequently when the engine is cold. I though it may be the brakes, and the problem does seem to go away after 10 minutes and a few brake applications, but I've also noticed the shudder when coasting to a stop with no brakes applied. Could it still be the brake pads since they still contact the rotors even when no brakes are applied?

Anyone else notice this problem (which goes away after 10-15 minutes and a few brake applications)?

Is this something I should just 'live with'? It's hard to know what's normal with this new vehicle so other's feedback is helpful.

The other thing that really irks me is the hard shifts when cold. The engine doesn't want to shift till above 2000 rpm and when it does it revs up another 600-800 rpm and then drops 1000 rpm. Again, only when cold. Is this 'normal'??
Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 GLE 43 SUV
The higher shift points when cold are normal. Helps the engine warm up faster. This is SOP for most diesel engines.

I have not experienced a shudder when slowing or turning, but some BT owners complain of stumbling and bucking when accelerating with a cold engine.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
I noticed a slight shudder on firm braking to a stop a few times, normally one would say it was warped discs but no way was that the case, I feel like it is some driveline resonance with the gearbox perhaps still connecting the engine to the slowing wheels, like there was a small disagreement between the engine ecu and the gearbox and the brakes, a battle of momentum. It stood out more because the majority of the time the drive train is very smooth.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 ML350 BT, '10 C63 (gone)
Originally Posted by Shrdlu
The higher shift points when cold are normal. Helps the engine warm up faster. This is SOP for most diesel engines.

I have not experienced a shudder when slowing or turning, but some BT owners complain of stumbling and bucking when accelerating with a cold engine.
Ok, it's my first diesel so I'll just have to get used to that jerky hard shift when cold.

Originally Posted by jellies
I noticed a slight shudder on firm braking to a stop a few times, normally one would say it was warped discs but no way was that the case, I feel like it is some driveline resonance with the gearbox perhaps still connecting the engine to the slowing wheels, like there was a small disagreement between the engine ecu and the gearbox and the brakes, a battle of momentum. It stood out more because the majority of the time the drive train is very smooth.
I concur with your feeling about driveline resonance... it's hard to pinpoint the source, but I can feel it under the footwell. If it happens sometimes when not braking like it does for me, then that gives credit to the driveline/transmission theory. Again it seems to go away when fully warmed up.

Anyone else notice this? It's not something easily ignored, so it may not be that widespread of a problem if no one else is complaining. I think I'll have to call it in.