M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Strange windshield wiper problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SL63
Strange windshield wiper problem

Just picked up our new 2013 ML350. Nice vehicle. Very happy with it.

However, the windshield wipers wiggle/waggle their way across the glass. They seem to clean ok but it is extremely distracting as it bounces around. We are concerned that this might cause us to lose proper visibility during a rain event.

It seems that the wiper blade fits loosely in the wiper arm bracket and this allows the blade to bounce and wiggle.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I have a 2012 ML350 and from the very beginning there was a slight "wobble" in the driver's side lower half of the blade as it went back and forth. I cleaned the glass very well but to no avail. Then I decided to polish the glass with an electric dual action polisher using Griot's garage 6" white glass pads and Duragloss NuGlass window polish. That took care of the problem although it has come back and I need to polish the glass again.

Unless you have a mechanical problem (unlikely) or the rubber on the blades is worn (it should not be on a new 2013 car), I believe a good window polishing will do the trick, at least temporarily. Keep in mind this is not just cleaning the windshield but requires an extra step. After cleaning it as well as you can you must polish it (as you would car paint) with abrasives designed for this kind of work. You do not need an electric polisher like I used to do this as Griot and other detailing suppliers sell smaller, 3" hand held pads made for glass polishing that work just as well - it just takes longer. There are several glass polish liquids and pastes available but the Duragloss NuGlass worked for me.

Incidentally, the appearance of the glass is 100% better after a polish than just a mere cleaning. You will not believe the clarity (it is as though there is no glass there at all). I highly recommend a periodic polishing of the windshield even if the blades work properly.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:59 AM

2013 SL63
OK. Thanks for the info. I will give it a try.

I also was thinking about somehow tightening the wiper blade in the blade arm bracket....but have not come up with any good ideas.

Seems like MB could have done a better job with this. None of the other MB cars I have had ever experienced this problem!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Defender 90/360 Modena/2012 MLBTC on order
I too have a shimmy at the bottom half of drivers wiper blade ...will try the polish

Thx for the tip
Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 GLE 43 SUV
A short-term fix--very short term--is to spritz some washer fluid on the windshield. My wipers tend to "chatter" through their arc and a shot of washer fluid seems to lubricate the blades.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Our 2011 does the same thing if there isn't enough water on the windshield. I think it's just a side effect of the 28" wiper blade.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
My wipers work perfectly in both heavy rain and light drizzle.

Experience from other cars says the only way to fix it, is replace the wiper arm. That should be at no cost thanks to warranty.

Polishing will only help if the windscreen is damaged. That again should be a warranty job.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Wiperblade Problem

I am coming to this thread a bit late, but I just purchased a new ML350 and it has the same wiperblade chatter problem on the drivers side. I've taken it back to the dealer a couple three times already. They've said that they have replaced the blades and adjusted the arm angle. All to no avail. The only thing I have read about, besides polishing the glass, is to use something like RainX. However, living in Seattle, I will need to re-apply this just about every day. Does anyone have a long term fix? Thanks.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:58 PM

2017 CLS550
Since they have replaced the blades and adjusted the angle of the arm (three times you say?), it probably is not the blades or the condition of the rubber wipers. More than likely it is the glass itself. Assuming the glass is not bowed or defective, have you tried polishing it as I suggested earlier in this thread? You mention polishing the glass but did you actually do it, and preferably twice?

A couple very small and unnoticeable scratches could cause the blades to chatter and jump. Polishing with the Griot's Garage white glass pads (or similar) and a dedicated glass polish will minimize and even remove those scratches. I do this fairly often by machine but as I said above, they sell smaller pads and it can be done by hand, although not as well.

Another thing you can try is a product like Duragloss AquaWax which is a "topper" sealant used on the paint. However, it can be used and is very effective on glass as well. It beads water about as well as RainX but lasts longer and is far more slick because of its nature as a spray sealant. Coating your windshield with AquaWax will protect the glass better and make bug removal a snap while at the same time the lubricity of the product should help your blades glide across the windshield with ease. A spray bottle of AquaWax costs about eight dollars so its at least worth a try. If it fails to correct the problem you will be pleased with it on your paint.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:06 PM

ML350
Shortspark, thanks for the advice. I am a bit hesitant to take a polisher to the windshield as I've tried DIY repairs to another vehicle's windshield only to make problems worse. However, I will try the Duragloss. That sounds much more practical than RainX. Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:14 PM

2017 CLS550
I understand. Putting an electric polisher that spins hundreds of times a second on your windshield can be a scary thing - it was for me too the first time I polished my glass. Now it is a piece of cake! Another suggestion is to contact the people at Autopia.com, Autogeek.com and similar detailer oriented forums and websites and ask them for suggestions. I am sure they can recommend products that you can use to protect and condition your windshield. Again, if it is not the condition of the rubber or the arms themselves, the only other reason must be attributed the glass itself.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:33 PM

2013 SL63
I was the original poster on this thread. My further analysis of the problem is a little different than all of the comments regarding polishing of the windshield.

While making the windshield perfectly smooth might help, it is not a long term sustainable solution. Who wants to apply a chemical or polish every week?

The rotational angle of this left blade is fairly severe/abrupt. I think this makes every element of the mechanism more critical. So everything has to be just right for it to work without wiggling all the time.

I have not tried this yet, but will soon as our weather becomes wetter. The wiper blade actuator arm does not seat down the blade tight enough into the mounting bracket. So it is allowed to wiggle in the bracket. This small wiggle in the bracket projects out to a wide wiggle at the end of the blade.

The only solution I can think of is to somehow tighten the blade into the actuator arm mounting bracket. Will work on this. If anyone has an idea I am keenly interested.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:40 PM

2017 CLS550
By all means let us know if it works and how you did it.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:30 PM

ML350
Wiper blade issue

Yes, please let us know how things turn out.

I am no engineer, but in comparing the wiper blade play -- i.e., rotational play at the access of the connection point -- with my wife's vehicle, the ML did not seem all that different. But, you are right. It's got to be either the glass, the blades or the blade connection point to the arm.

I wonder why there are not more complaints surfacing?

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:21 AM

ML350
For what it's worth my wiper blades always worked fine (about 1.5 years since new). However just had my service B about a month ago. Now the wipers are experiencing a chatter (mainly at the top position of the driver's side - US - and a little at the bottom/resting position of passenger). They work quietly as before as long as I use a little wiper fluid every once in a while, but quickly start to make noise. Obviously that's not acceptable though. The windshield overall has almost no visible pits, etc. and the ML is babied. Regardless, I know nothing happened to the windshield overnight that would cause this, so I'm definitely not considering any kind of polish. I did however, ensure that the windshield is cleaned well with glass cleaner, but it doesn't seem to change anything. My service advisor said that they have received several complaints about the new wipers that they are using, including from their technicians. She also suggested that they think there is a break in period. So we will see - as we don't get that much rain so I haven't had many opportunities to try it. At the moment, it's not worth it for me to take it in (especially if the best they're going to give me is to wait), but eventually I will.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:28 AM

2017 CLS550
During A and B service some dealers will change blades as a matter of course and claim it under warranty provisions, even if you have no problems and did not request a blade replacement or check (this is what they did during my A service). Take a good look at your service receipt and see if they did in fact replace the blades. If so, there is your answer.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:26 PM

ML350
Ya, sorry if I didn't make that clear. I know for sure that they replaced them. I don't think I would have wanted to keep the old ones if only for the fact that should the rubber crack, you can get a scratch in the windshield. However, maybe if i had known that new ones would be worse... At any rate, just chiming in with my experience.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
I have seen replacement blades that came with a packet ( small sealed pouch envelope) of dressing...I think it was like an alcohol wipe...wonder if that is missing ?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:04 PM

ML350
Wiper blade problems

I thought I would update those who were interested in this wiper blade issue -- choppy and noisy sweeping of the blade. I tried treating the windshield with glass sealer -- with something supposedly more sophisticated than just RainX. It worked fine for a day or so of rain, but then the blade resorted to its choppy and sticky sweeping. On a lark, I purchased a cheap generic blade from Costco -- Goodyear brand for about $8. They came with an add-on piece that allowed it to snap onto the MB wiper arm. Not a thoughly seemless connection, but snuggly and with a noticeable "snap" in place.

When stationary, these blades had less "play" in them than the MB blades. And low and behold, in the rain, they worked smoothly to cleanly and relatively smoothly and silently wipe the windshield.

I will now try to do the passenger side since I noticed that that MB blade on that side is also choppy and, therefore, noisey.

My layman's conclusion: clearly the factory MB wiper blade is the problem.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:43 AM

SLK250
Windscreen wipers problem

Hi, I have posted a video on Youtube in regard to my awful windscreen wipers. I bought the car brand new back in 2012 and the wipers just so rubbish that I really feel embarrassed to drive the car in the rain. I took the car back to the Mercedes dealer 5 times but they are unable to fix the problem. Their recommendation is to squirt soapy water on the windscreen to lubricate the blades/glass. Unfortunately, the sad thing is the soapy water fix only lasts for about 8 to 10 wipes and the problem comes back again. Which means I will need to squirt soapy water every minute or so to stop the problem which I don't think this is normal for a Mercedes Benz….., well, I really hope not. Would you mind have a look at the video and let me know your thoughts on what is causing the problem? The blades? The arms? Or the windscreen?

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 AM

ML350
ML wiper problem

Blake, from my experience, the problem is the wiper blade. As noted above, I replaced my blades with some very inexpensive ones from Costco and low and behold they work fine. There are windshield products out there that last a bit longest than soapy water, such as RainX and other more pricey products -- just Google "glass treatment" or something like that. But they won't last a whole day in the rain. Try some new blades, preferably not from MB, i.e., cheap ones just to see if they will work. Just make sure that they "click" into the blade arm so that they are secure.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
I suggest you try a set of Bosch blades
Old 12-10-2013, 06:33 AM

SLK250
Hi tyu98006 and Nanook, thanks for your advise. I will get a new set of blades and try it out. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 PM

c250
My wipers also chatter in light and heavy rain. I took it to Mercedes. They replaced the wipers twice (that's 3 wipers on a brand new car), and super cleaned the glass with some product they have. It was good for 3 minutes. I left the shop. Five-ten minutes later, it began chattering again. Mercedes blames it on environmental conditions.
What can I do?
Old 02-22-2014, 12:26 PM

c250
Oddly enough, my wipers work perfectly when I use the windshield wipers to clean the glass (when it's not raining)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Strange windshield wiper problem