M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Shopping for a W166 ML350.. New or Used?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Shopping for a W166 ML350.. New or Used?

I'm currently planning to buy an ML350 for end of July/beginning of August and can't seem to figure out if I should get a used '12 ML350 or go for a new '13 ML350. Upgrading from a 2007 ML350 as the new model is absolutely stunning!

I'm seeing '12 ML350 with Prem 1 Package with ~10k miles for $45k while I see '13ML350 with Prem 1 Package, Lighting Package for $50k.

I expect the discounts for the '13 ML350 to become steeper once '14 delivery gets closer. I'm not seeing any value in going for the used one if it's only a $4-5k discount.

Personally, I can afford the car new, but just want to get what I can consider the "best value."

The key issue here is that the $50k for a new '13 ML350 is the invoice price, which seems obtainable, while the $45k for a used '12 ML350 is what I see on the internet, i.e. Cars.com, Autotrader.com. How much can I expect to knock off the internet price for a used car? Any thoughts or experiences are much appreciated.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 4MATIC MY13 DIAMOND WHITE
I would definitely go with the NEW MY13 instead of the used.. You can get great discounts on the 13 and MBZ also has a 1k rebate incentive for June after you negotiate your deal with the dealer. I've seen used 2012's come extremely close to the price of the 2013.

Plus nothing beats driving a brand new car off the lot.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
ML's are bringing premium dollars most markets - due to the fact avail has been somewhat limited - which did loosen up these past 3 weeks as MB decided to ship fewer intl market and more to compete in domestic market - and the fact the new gen ML has a love to love about it as compared to competition.

In one respect -the mileage you are planning to drive + your planned length of ownership - then pre-owned MB Certified may be of added value to you - with MB CPO you get total 5 yrs MB warranty from in-service date out to full 100K miles included.

Pre-owned '13's from non-MB dealers can become a shadow subject - unless CarFax verifies date-of-service for remaining balance of MB warranty, and no accident or lemon-law issues - and personally I have seen both - there are some very decent pre-owned '13's in the MB dealer system from executive lease returns (they get 2 vehicles a year) and special event programs (like tournaments and the like) and no lemon-law issues - a non-MB dealer can't add a comparable 100K warranty at comparable cost to MB CPO.. MB CPO costs the dealer about $900 + cost of internal CPO inspection (2 1/2 hrs) + any CPO mandated work - for instance at 10K miles under CPO "normally" could include fresh tires already if under 80%. 10k service completed and paid, stuff like that which represents genuine dollars saved.

If in-service date is quite recent - a MB dealer may choose not to certify - and not add that cost to the vehicle - "normally" once a vehicle is MB Certified you can't pull that back out..

With individualized MB options - including 2WD and 4matic - and including options you personally may not have had before - there can be somewhat wide variation in feature/option spec even at comparable original MSRP - that individualized feature spec can be a boon to you or you can shortchange yourself unless you have full feature MB spec sheet hat lists out all to judge from one ML to another.

"Discount" on new depends on market area - and depends on MB funded incentives which MB adds to dealer's profit bucket.

If you qualify for USAA's special program, or can qualify for AMA or ABA fleet programs - jump in on as a better foundation starting point.. the USAA program is a good thermometer of "all in" if you have access to that program.

I would "guesstimate" that MY134 max incentives - whatever they may be - will be available to dealers 2nd/3rd week July - incentives will be higher if dealer inventories are higher - incentives will be lower if dealer inventories are "normal" - Mercedes will choose MB incentive level to not to have on-the-ground 2013 inventory blocking smooth roll-out of new model year.

For me - if it was a choice between 12 and 13 - I would personally prefer 13 for the higher res instrument cluster screen of the 13 - quite trick actually - and somewhat higher res center console screen - reformatted a bit.

In my personal area 4matic's are king - RWD units scoot well and seem clustered on more metro areas - personally I prefer 4matic as more nimble overall. I do do running boards, I do do Lane Assist pack, I do do rarer pano for lighter rear cabin.. factory tow hitch...wood/leather wheel.. stuff like that puts "sweet spot" MSRP for me with right equip new in the $58K-$59K range.

Different vehicle - but more sophisticated as a package now with 13 GLK facelift - new 350 engine - decked out with ML features - a pre-owned loaded 2013 GLK could be quite nice if you don't need full size of the ML.

Keep the beat !