M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Multicontour w/ Massage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 05:27 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 G550 Selenite/macchiato
Multicontour w/ Massage?

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and just placed an order for a 2014 ML350 through the local dealer. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the multicontour seats with massage. I currently drive a 2012 ML without this option. The option sounds good on paper but $1100 is a lot to spend on a feature if it's useless. I drive about 25,000 miles per year. The dealership had 12 ML's on their lot, not one of them had this package for me to try out.

The new one that I ordered is Obsidian Black, Gray MB Tex
P1, Lighting pkg, Brushed alum running boards, Parking pkg w/ Surround Camera, Lane Tracking pkg, Multicolor Ambient Light, Keyless Go, Heated/Cooled Cupholders.

Should I add the multicontour seats (or any other important options)??

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
I'm a skinny guy and I appreciate the bolsters. The massage feature is not terribly effective in the ML, much better in the E/S.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350 ,1996 Corvette CE, 2003 Toyota Highlander 4WD Limited
I see you have the lane tracking package, but one of my favorite options is the adaptive cruise control in the Driver's Assistance Package. Cruising on the interstate, and especially in stop and go traffic on the interstate it really does make the drive a lot more pleasant.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:21 PM

ML 350 Bluetec
Hi JRH

I have the multi-contour seats and really like them. I have had back surgery, so I originally got them in order to be able to dial in the lumbar support (both how much it provides and the exact height its located at). They do that well, and I similarly like adjusting the side bolsters.

I never thought that I would actually use the massage function....but....I now use it almost constantly. Make no mistake, this is not like a real spa massage, or even like the massage chairs that you'll find in stores, that have rollers. Basically, its just a series of stacked air bladders (feels like about 5 to me), that fill up in sequence from bottom to top. There are 4 settings to choose from: Slow and Gentle, Slow and Vigorous, Fast and Gentle and Fast and Vigorous. These settings determine how much the air bladders fill up and how fast they move from bottom to the top and start over again.

I tend to use one of the vigorous modes, along with the seat heater. Frankly, they are all pretty minimal. However, the end effect is that my back is not nearly as stiff at the end of the ride as it is without using them.

If either precise location of lumbar and side bolster support or a little less back stiffness are of value to you, then I would go for the multicontour seat option.

I'd also add the Harmon Kardon sound system (significantly better than the standard one).
In addition, if you think you will ever add a trailer hitch its better to get the factory one, since its integrated into the ML's electronics, and this is expensive to try to duplicate after the fact.

Enjoy

Dave
Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 G550 Selenite/macchiato
Smile

Thanks for the review 340z and for the advice everyone!!

I do have back problems and paired with the amount of driving I do, is why I'm now considering this option. $1100 just seemed steep to me if it wasn't useful. I had read reviews saying the multicontour didn't do much for people and others have said it's great. I was also trying to keep the price around $60k. Being a 2014 I don't know how much I'll be able to wheel and deal either.

This will be my 3rd ML (had a 2010 and currently 2012) and I've never had the need for a trailer hitch so I think I will leave that off again. NCMike, Drivers Assistance pkg I'm sure is amazing but too much $$.

The dealer told me the build date is middle of August, so hopefully it's delivered by mid-September.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 AM

'06 BMW 530xi & '14 ML350
I just picked up my 2014 ML350 with multicontour seats.
It has 4 adjustable functions that can be saved and recalled in conjunction with the 3 memory settings.
  1. Massage - Even at the "fast & vigorous" setting it's not that intense of a massage, which is completely fine by me.
  2. Side bolsters - This is my favourite feature. You can set it to hug you super tight like an AMG/M seat.
  3. Lumbar support - This is an up/down lumbar adjustment, not the usual in/out support. I have it set at +10, which is more than half way up the seat.
  4. Thigh support - The air bladders inflate the front edge of your seat to provide vertical thigh support, not just an extension of the seat towards the pedals.