Weird problem with seat controls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:28 PM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Weird problem with seat controls

Hey everyone,

Recently purchased a 2013 ML350. It has leather seats with memory package.

When I use the fore and aft seat adjustment control for the driver's seat the head restraint moves upwards. If I try to move the seat forward or aft the head restraint moves up.

I searched the owner's manual and tried a Google search but couldn't find anything about this. I assume this is not a normal function.

Could someone try this out on their ML350 to see if it reacts the same way??

I am taking it to the dealer on Monday for another small problem but if this is not normal I will have them look into it as well.

Thank you
Old 08-17-2013, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
It's normal. When you move the seat back, the car assumes that a taller person is getting into the car so it moves the head restraint up. When you move the seat forward, it assumes a shorter person is getting in so it moves the head restraint down. Regardless of whether it's true, that's what the car assumes. I believe Mercedes-Benz considers this to be a safety feature given that few people ever adjust the head restraints.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:23 PM

2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Hey balticgreen,

Thank you very much for the reply

That would actually make sense but unfortunately that is not how mine is working

When I move the seat forward the head restraint moves up.

When I move the seat aft the head restraint moves up.

If you move the seat either forward or aft the head restraint moves up until it reaches full travel and just stays there until you move it down with the switch.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:33 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Oh wow, I misread what you initially described. Sorry about that.

If you move the seat forward, the head restraint should go DOWN, not up. What you're seeing is not right. Since you're going to the dealer anyway, definitely mention this to them.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:40 PM

2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Okay cool, thanks
Old 09-10-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
I discovered this problem on the W164 and hassled the dealer to no avail.

Apparently Mercedes expect the average person is 6' tall, with some 5' and others 7'. So they set the seats for those with the body of the 7 footer, with the legs of the 5 footer.

Now go back and check your seats again. As you run the seat forward, the headrest does come down, just as your knees contact the dash. It will continue down as you go further forward but an amputation may be required.

You are probably a "normal" person with the headrest lowered from the MB desired height, so any seat adjustment raises the headrest.

Solution: Use the preset buttons to select the ideal position. Any further trim adjustment will require a headrest trim also.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:22 PM

2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
iankayem,

Thanks for the reply.

I found out the same thing from my Dealership, sorry that I forgot the update this thread with that information.

I think the way the driver's headrest moves when you adjust the seat is kind of stupid but apparently some engineer thought it was a great idea

I could possibly understand if the headrest went up when you move the seat back and the headrest moved down when you move the seat forward from any position but that is not what happens

Like iankayem said above, the headrest does not start to move down until your knees are smashed into the dash and I am only 5' 10" tall.

I usually only use the program buttons to move my seat anyways and if I do make a small adjustment to save into memory I always have to make sure I move the headrest all the way down before saving the adjustment to memory.

It is a small nuisance but I am learning to live with it
Old 06-12-2020, 09:00 PM

2014 gl550
i know this is not the answer you are looking for but removing pin isn't that difficult. and might even save your time asking around and talking to dealers that are clueless.
i don't know if pin is the only difference between manual headrest and automatic, but i've heard/read from somewhere that it is the only difference. i could be wrong though. because headrest has to be perpendicular for it to rolldown when folding, they placed a pin to lock the headrest from folding in and getting caught by the seat when it rolls down. i think this is a huge design mistake and should have been avoided. even adults don't want the headrest to be sticking like that.

when dealers are clueless typically they won't help you. but good luck to ya.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:49 AM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by divinefavor
i know this is not the answer you are looking for but removing pin isn't that difficult. and might even save your time asking around and talking to dealers that are clueless.
i don't know if pin is the only difference between manual headrest and automatic, but i've heard/read from somewhere that it is the only difference. i could be wrong though. because headrest has to be perpendicular for it to rolldown when folding, they placed a pin to lock the headrest from folding in and getting caught by the seat when it rolls down. i think this is a huge design mistake and should have been avoided. even adults don't want the headrest to be sticking like that.

when dealers are clueless typically they won't help you. but good luck to ya.
you responded to a 7 year old post