M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Rain sensor question after windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M 350 Bluetec
Rain sensor question after windshield replacement

I had my front windshield replaced at the dealership and they "calibrated" the sensors.

Now when I start the car and the wipers are on setting #1 (auto) the wipers engage each time the car starts.

I do not recall this happening before the replacement.

Does this happen to any of you? When you start the car and the wipers are on setting 1 (auto) do the wipers engage for one swipe?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:26 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Yes, they will swipe one time. Mine only swipes one time if I turn the wiper switch from the off position to position one. Some members have reported that every time they start their vehicle, they do one swipe if they leave the switch in position one.
Some other members and some owners manuals state that during normal day to day driving, the wipers should be in the off position. Only when it starts to rain should you move the switch to position one.
My wife will leave the switch in position one if she encounters rain while driving. Personally, I do not like using position one as they are too sensitive. In fact I just hate to use the wipers period! I would like for MB to come up with a better solution than what they are currently using.
Lastly, I had my windshield replaced about a month ago. With the first replacement windshield (EPC ?), the sensor did not work. They replaced it again with a Pilkington windshield and at first the sensor did not work, but I tried what I found on the attached file and they began to work. The only thing I do not like about the Pilkington windshield is the tint "bar" across the top of the windshield. It is just something I have to get used to.
My windshield did not need any type of calibration.
Mike T.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rain_Sensor.pdf (174.9 KB, 2586 views)
Old 09-08-2013, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Not sure about your situation..I'll check on mine but I have a question..

Does the stock windshield have a tint bar along top ? Mine doesn't and I find that odd..
Old 09-08-2013, 10:59 PM

M 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Nanook
Not sure about your situation..I'll check on mine but I have a question..

Does the stock windshield have a tint bar along top ? Mine doesn't and I find that odd..
Not that I know of.

Mine stopped doing the 1 swipe thing today. Just like that. Must have been dust?

-Omar
Old 09-08-2013, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Maybe the swipe is a good thing...in my Caddie when you started it if it was raining or sprinkling I had to initiate the wiper swipe to get rainsense started or it would not do it on it's own
Old 09-08-2013, 11:18 PM

M 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Nanook
Maybe the swipe is a good thing...in my Caddie when you started it if it was raining or sprinkling I had to initiate the wiper swipe to get rainsense started or it would not do it on it's own
It's not a good thing as you glass can get scratched if there is dirt or dust on it.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes but it only swipes if it's in on position..right ?
Old 01-06-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Yes, they will swipe one time. Mine only swipes one time if I turn the wiper switch from the off position to position one. Some members have reported that every time they start their vehicle, they do one swipe if they leave the switch in position one.
Some other members and some owners manuals state that during normal day to day driving, the wipers should be in the off position. Only when it starts to rain should you move the switch to position one.
My wife will leave the switch in position one if she encounters rain while driving. Personally, I do not like using position one as they are too sensitive. In fact I just hate to use the wipers period! I would like for MB to come up with a better solution than what they are currently using.
Lastly, I had my windshield replaced about a month ago. With the first replacement windshield (EPC ?), the sensor did not work. They replaced it again with a Pilkington windshield and at first the sensor did not work, but I tried what I found on the attached file and they began to work. The only thing I do not like about the Pilkington windshield is the tint "bar" across the top of the windshield. It is just something I have to get used to.
My windshield did not need any type of calibration.
Mike T.
the instructions you attached worked. However you can simply open the sun roof and dump the water on the sensor when you get to the step.
I had my c55 amg windshield replaced and it needed to be reset.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE 350 4matic-Porsche Cayman
I forget mine are in position #1 and they swipe at the carwash. I immediately turn them off.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by shahineo
I had my front windshield replaced at the dealership and they "calibrated" the sensors.

Now when I start the car and the wipers are on setting #1 (auto) the wipers engage each time the car starts.

I do not recall this happening before the replacement.

Does this happen to any of you? When you start the car and the wipers are on setting 1 (auto) do the wipers engage for one swipe?
Mine swipe once at startup depending on the amount of "ocean mist" (maybe dew in your case) the sensor sees in the morning. It does not swipe once if I use the car, come home and go out again a short time later. It depends on the "clearness" of the parked car's windshield.

I leave my wiper control on 1 all of the time otherwise the wipers are not automatic. If I have to turn them on when it starts to rain what is the point. My car wash guys automatically turn all cars wipers off as the enter the wash tunnel, although I believe the rain sense feature doesn't work if the car is not in gear, so pedestrians and exiting passengers don't get hit with rain water as they enter or exit.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 Mercedes-Benz S350 BlueTEC 2013 ML350 BlueTEC
Tinting across the top of the windshield is an optional / upgrade feature...
Old 03-20-2018, 12:48 PM

c300
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...ain_sensor.pdf
doing the part marked “I did not do this” worked like a charm on my 2012 c300.