Mercedes "Drive Kit" vs MB Apps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350
Mercedes "Drive Kit" vs MB Apps

Hi All,
When I initially took delivery of my MY14 ML350 I declined the mbrace because I really saw no value in it at least for me. I then started playing with the MB Apps in Comand but it did not work. Talking to the SA he told me that it had to be activated and then I asked him if MB Apps communicates via my smartphone (bluetooth > carrier) or does mbrace needed to be active. He said mbrace is not needed. Doing a little research I think he is completely wrong. Apparently, it must use mbrace and it uses a built-in modem that uses Verizon carrier. Why would Mercedes not allow you to use your own smartphone/carrier/plan for this feature? Any hack for this?
I see there is a Drive Kit for Mercedes that uses iPhone. Does anyone use this that can give their opinion?
Thanks
Old 09-28-2013, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1) Taking delivery and turning down free/no-charge 3 month trial of deluxe applications and 6 month free/no-charge of basic mBrace - in hindsight do you think that was the best move for you ? Call mBrace and see if you can still get activated for the free trial. Yes - vehicle internet connectivity is still horrible - nothing to do with MB.

2) Drive kit is extremis "wish list" stuff - and not worth it whatsoever.