Ordered 2014 ML350 and rethinking options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Black ML350 4Matic
Ordered 2014 ML350 and rethinking options

Hello everyone,
I have put a deposit down on a black 2014 ML350 4Matic a couple of weeks ago in Massapequa, NY (for those in the area) and it will be built 2nd week of November for a delivery date of early December.

I ordered it with the following:
1)Lighting Package
2)Sports Package w/19inch wheels
3)Premium 1
4)Harmon/Kardon
5)Multi Ambient lighting
6)Keyless-Go
7)Almond Beige/black leather

This is my first Mercedes and I've been debating whether the other options such as Lane Tracking, Parking Assist or the Driver Assist Package are useful and worth it. I figured I always look over my shoulder now quickly to change lanes so why need Lane Tracking, and well parking your car is parking your car. This would also be my first SUV after driving sedans for years so it makes me feel like these options might be more necessary. Since my car isn't going to be built until Nov. I assume I can still make changes to the order.

For those of you that have these options do you think it was worth it or did you just end up turning them off.

I appreciate your opinions.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1) The Lane Tracking Package will be a good thing - for what it does it's a very useful/welocme feature - you want your 1st Mercedes right - so go for it !

2) With leather get the added Ventilation feature - for leather that's the way to go - for MBTex not required/avail really. With Leather ventilation is a good thing.

3) Running boards are a choice - and once you choose understand it's hard later to go the other way.

4) Trailer hitch if for no other reason it adds additional rear end protection in the event of a rear ender (which is circumstance outside of your control) - solid value there
Old 10-13-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 MB ML550
Younger guy on my second MB... (2013 ML550)

You have nailed good options... if you haven't had lane-assist or parktronic before you will not miss it. ML has a great turning radius and in CT/NY you will probably not have any issues... handles much more like a car than an SUV...my opinion. Came from mostly sedans but I keep my beater jeep around b/c it is like a loved working dog.

Running boards were standard on mine... kind of silly b/c it is already fairly low to the ground and they are more likely to get your pants/leg dirty than help you in... unless you like the look...

Love the HK...should be standard. High intensity lighting, same. Love the keyless...again, should be standard.

Agree that ventilation is awesome.. but in NY you will use it for about 2 months in the year...
Old 10-14-2013, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
The blind spot/lane tracking package technology will be industry standard in a couple years. The blind spot monitoring is especially useful - for the $800ish, highly recommended. If it saves you once it's more than paid for itself.

The hitch is a good resale piece as well as the safety benefit mentioned - without it, dealer will charge thousands to retrofit.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:07 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by firefox2000
Since my car isn't going to be built until Nov. I assume I can still make changes to the order.
You should still be in green status with changes possible. About 2-3 weeks before production, it will flip to yellow. Changes will still be possible but it's the last chance for changes and some specific changes might not be possible. After yellow is red and no changes are possible.

If you're going to make any changes, you should do it this week.

Personally, I would recommend at least the Lane Tracking Package. It's not expensive (for a Mercedes) and costs less than one mistake on the road. I initially ordered the Lane Tracking and later changed it to the Driver Assistance pkg, not for the active versions of blind spot and lane departure, but for the Distronic. That's up to you.

The ML navigates suburban parking lots very well (better than you might think if you're accustomed to smaller vehicles) so I would recommend the Parking pkg or Parktronic only if you spend much time in cities or if you are bad with mirrors (some people just are; I'm not judging).
Old 10-14-2013, 02:14 PM

ML 350 Bluetec
Hello everyone,
I have put a deposit down on a black 2014 ML350 4Matic a couple of weeks ago in Massapequa, NY (for those in the area) and it will be built 2nd week of November for a delivery date of early December.

I ordered it with the following:
1)Lighting Package
2)Sports Package w/19inch wheels
3)Premium 1
4)Harmon/Kardon
5)Multi Ambient lighting
6)Keyless-Go
7)Almond Beige/black leather

This is my first Mercedes and I've been debating whether the other options such as Lane Tracking, Parking Assist or the Driver Assist Package are useful and worth it. I figured I always look over my shoulder now quickly to change lanes so why need Lane Tracking, and well parking your car is parking your car. This would also be my first SUV after driving sedans for years so it makes me feel like these options might be more necessary. Since my car isn't going to be built until Nov. I assume I can still make changes to the order.

For those of you that have these options do you think it was worth it or did you just end up turning them off.

I appreciate your opinions.
You've chosen a nice configuration and color combo.

I would second the comments about the Lane Tracking/Driver Assist packages. At a minimum get the Lane Tracking for the blindspot warning feature. There are too many idiots on the road who change lanes/speeds with abandon and unexpectedly...a warning and even the red triangle in your mirror as a quick check are nice to have. I have the Drivers Assistance, and love the Adaptive Cruise.

I would also recommend the parking package with the 360 degree camera. It's not difficult to park the ML, but the 360 degree camera and the warning chimes/lights that come with the parking package will help avoid minor fender bender stuff, or let you slip into a tight spot.

Finally, I agree with the trailer hitch, even if you do not plan on ever towing anything, it is nice to have for a bike or other type of carrier and does give you a little extra if someone rear ends you.

All of this will add up, and its not like the ML isn't going to be great the way you spec'd it. I'd recommend trying any of the features that you are considering and then making the call, but better to make the decision now, than regret later.

The only thing that I regret (but didn't know about when I ordered mine) was not getting the MBTex wrapped dash. It looks great and I think it comes on your Sport Package.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:03 PM

2014 Black ML350 4Matic
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I was definitely going to add the Lane Tracking Package and Trailer hitch but it looks like my car went into production according to the dealer and changes cannot be made now. I am surprised since they told me last week production wasn't happening till 2nd week of Nov.

I am a little disappointed but I guess since I never had these I won't miss it and I should be happy that I'll have a new car soon.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:39 PM

2021 GLB35, 2007 E350, 2014 ML350 4Matic, 2008 C350 Sport
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I was definitely going to add the Lane Tracking Package and Trailer hitch but it looks like my car went into production according to the dealer and changes cannot be made now. I am surprised since they told me last week production wasn't happening till 2nd week of Nov.

I am a little disappointed but I guess since I never had these I won't miss it and I should be happy that I'll have a new car soon.
They lock you out from making changes 30 days before the production date. I tried to make a change on 9/5 and the Dealers Inventory Mgr told me I was no longer permitted to make changes as of 9/3, my vehicle was built on 10/4 and delivered to the Dealer in NY 10/10.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:59 PM

It's not always 30 days. My build is third decade of October and I made a change on 10/4. It was in yellow status at that time and turned red (no changes) the following week. That's only two weeks before production.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:32 AM

2021 GLB35, 2007 E350, 2014 ML350 4Matic, 2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by balticgreen
It's not always 30 days. My build is third decade of October and I made a change on 10/4. It was in yellow status at that time and turned red (no changes) the following week. That's only two weeks before production.
The Pano Roof option on mine may have had something to do with my build delay, I ordered my vehicle on 7/6 but production of pano roofs at the factory was full for August so my order could not be scheduled till Sept.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:28 AM

Oh yeah, Panorama roof is a limited option so that's playing a role in your dates.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Options

Hello everyone,
I don't care for the nanny options myself, except Blind Spot Assist would be one I'd have ordered if it had been available separately. Depend on what type of driver you are, but if you want to drive instead of be transported a lot of the electronics are unnecessary and may be major maintenance expenses in the future.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:37 AM

2014 Black ML350 4Matic
Thanks guys for you continued input. If I had to order again I would have gotten tracking package for sure just for the blind spot just as an added check while driving but I always use my mirrors anyway and look. I wish the surround camera was just a separate option as that would have been nice. I mean everything on a Mercedes is practically an option compared with most luxury manufacturers which offer more standard equipment.

Hmmm anyone have access to Mercedes production system to see if my dealer is being truthful about changes. Haha

Thanks again for your opinions.