Notices
M-Class (W166) 2012, Read about the upcoming M-Class

Airmatic Advice

Old 10-18-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 S550e
Airmatic Advice

Hi All,

I have placed an order for '14 ML350 and included Airmatic. I used to have R350 with Airmatic and enjoyed various settings.
Have people driven both standard VS airmatic? Any thoughts if its good option to pick?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 PM

S430 2002
Airmatic vs standard

Had a ML500 and it drove like a truck so it couldn't have had airmatic. I sold it with low miles and no issues.

My S430 has 70k miles and 2nd time one of the front air struts had to be replaced. 1st time was warranty work. Approx repair cost through dealer was $1,600 and with local MB mechanic $1,400 (1 strut).

I replaced it myself with an Arnott remfg for under $500. Be sure and get the detailed difference between a new and remfg. Arnott techs are helpful.

But, the "Airmatic - Visit Workshop" message light comes on and local MB mechanic say $100 to hook up to MB Star diagnostic machine to "recalibrate all 4 struts." OK. I'm still ahead unless the strut is defective ... and Arnott tells me that on occasion that does happen. I'm hoping for the best.

Moral to the story: S430 drives like a dream. The airmatic would be good on the ML350 should you be pulling something or hauling weight. Try the ride. And then calculate all 4 strut replacement at approx. +/- 100k miles just you would regular struts/shocks.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Hi there,
I own a ML63 amg so the airmatic comes stamdard but honestly, I would NEVER buy an ml without airmatic regardless.

You have all the best world with the airmatic, it can be very comfortable (even with 22 rims) and then very sporty depending on your mood After you get used to airmatic there is no way you can go back, impossible
Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Same, I would NOT buy an ML350 w/o airmatic. The car is smoother and stable at high speed and around town with the airmatic. It gives a better ride then the spongy standard suspension.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 GL 450
I've owned two '13 MLs, one without Airmatic and one with. Hands down, the one with it is my favorite. I will probably always get an air suspension on future purchases because of this experience. I love the improved ride on the highway, and being able to dial up a sport mode that even greatly improves the steering feel (while rendering body roll nonexistent) makes it all the more useful.

Last edited by ciparis; 10-24-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:47 PM

2016 S550e
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Went ahead and ordered with Airmatic.