M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

E250 vs ML350 BT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 911 Turbo Cabriolet, 2014 Mazda3
E250 vs ML350 BT

Given that the MSRP of the two vehicles when optioned to the desired specs are almost identical (~$64K), which one would you pick and why? My current GLK250 lease will be up next May but I'm planning ahead and would like to gather comments/opinions from my fellow forum members.

Some info about my lifestyle and preferences:
- reside in MA
- no kids (not planning to have any in the near future), just the wife and I
- nothing to tow but do seldomly (<5 times a yr) have large pieces of luggage/furniture to transport
- other car in the family is a compact sedan
- like the commanding driving position of a SUV/CUV, but also enjoys the driving dynamics of a sedan. Not a lead-foot by any means but do drive spiritedly on long highway stretches from time to time.
- would like a more luxurious cabin in terms of ride quality (suppleness), fit-and-finish, and noise levels (in that order of preference) as compared to the GLK
- wife will be the occasional driver during inclement weather. Maneuverability (read: easy-to-park and light steering) and visibility is paramount for her. 4WD is must.

The vehicle will likely need to be ordered. How long does delivery usually take (non-Designo)? And how many months does MB allow you to "pull ahead"?

I wanted to add "diesel is must" to the list because I got addicted to torque from the GLK250 . But the 2015 C class looks very interesting as well and could become a candidate for me. I don't think it will be offered with a diesel anytime soon in the US so I refrained from adding it to the list.

Now let the commenting begin!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Bottom line first - you live in Massachusetts therefore unless you need a sedan for business, transporting clients, etc., you are better off with an SUV. I have the ML and I love it although I only utilize half of its potential here in Texas. You don't tow and either do I. That means the transmission will outlive us both.

You like "driving dynamics"? We all do but you can't take advantage of it except for about half the year up there. Good maneuverability is not lost with the ML if you order the parking options, sport suspensions, and the other gizmos avaialbe. It is bigger than the E class of course but the steering is just as light (firms up nicely on the highway however). And you can order a cabin in the ML to be just as luxurious as an E class (they both come standard with MB Tex and you can move up from there if you want).

If you want a sedan for some particular reason other than the ones you listed then get it, but the SUV will do all the E can do and much, much more (albeit not in as sporty a way unless you go AMG). This is doubly true in a northern location. Since you have a sedan as a second car, the choice of the ML seems the logical one to me.