Might Go From 2007 E550 to 2014 ML 350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Might Go From 2007 E550 to 2014 ML 350

I really, really still love my E550 but have that "New Car Itch". Love the smooth incredible power of my 550 too. Would I be happy with the performance of a gasloline ML350, or would I be happier with the power of a 350 Blu Tec?

As I said I don't need a new car, and would hate to make a mistake I'd have to live with for about 7 years.

BTW I Buy...not lease.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The Emerald Cruiser - my 2024 GLE 350
Aloha Barry45RPM,

I think a lot may depend on your driving style and/or requirements. I used to drive sedans, but in 2002 got my first SUV, a Lexus RX350. I'm now in my second RX, but have a new ML350 on order (should be here in about two weeks ) I considered the E Class as well, but after getting so used to the utility of an SUV, the higher seating position, and the size (to include cargo capacity), I can not see a way back to a sedan. Of course, if I could afford an S Class, that could change

I also can not, for the life of me, see the purchase of an ML350 to be a "mistake". There will obviously be a vast difference in driving dynamics, but both vehicles are excellent and you really can not go wrong with either. On my test drive, I found that the turning radius of the ML350 is more akin to a sedan than is my RX350, making getting into and out of the rather small parking spaces here in Honolulu much easier - just another reason to be pleased with my selection.

As for your question of gasser vs. BT, since you mentioned that you really enjoy the power of your 550, I think the BT would probably be better for you. The torque that engine produces is, at least on the YouTube reviews, quite remarkable. There is little to no rumbling and you simply have to press the accelerator to appreciate the torque. Of course, diesel is more expensive, around $4.50 here on Oahu, but you can get up to 30mpg on the highway.

Good luck with your decision. YouTube primarily has reviews of the ML350 BT - only a few of the gas version. Some of the test drivers are not that skilled, so some of the reviews are a little skewed, but there is a ton of good information to glean from them.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:01 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
You love the power so why not an ML 550?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:04 PM

Of course that's also an option, but he referenced purchasing the ML350, so I left it at that
Old 02-26-2014, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by 2012MLBlue
You love the power so why not an ML 550?
Retired now for the last 3 years (64 yrs old) and just can't see spending like I used to when new money was coming in every week. If I wasn't concerned about the additional cost, for sure I'd buy a 550!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by bud.jones
Aloha Barry45RPM,

I think a lot may depend on your driving style and/or requirements. I used to drive sedans, but in 2002 got my first SUV, a Lexus RX350. I'm now in my second RX, but have a new ML350 on order (should be here in about two weeks ) I considered the E Class as well, but after getting so used to the utility of an SUV, the higher seating position, and the size (to include cargo capacity), I can not see a way back to a sedan. Of course, if I could afford an S Class, that could change

I also can not, for the life of me, see the purchase of an ML350 to be a "mistake". There will obviously be a vast difference in driving dynamics, but both vehicles are excellent and you really can not go wrong with either. On my test drive, I found that the turning radius of the ML350 is more akin to a sedan than is my RX350, making getting into and out of the rather small parking spaces here in Honolulu much easier - just another reason to be pleased with my selection.

As for your question of gasser vs. BT, since you mentioned that you really enjoy the power of your 550, I think the BT would probably be better for you. The torque that engine produces is, at least on the YouTube reviews, quite remarkable. There is little to no rumbling and you simply have to press the accelerator to appreciate the torque. Of course, diesel is more expensive, around $4.50 here on Oahu, but you can get up to 30mpg on the highway.

Good luck with your decision. YouTube primarily has reviews of the ML350 BT - only a few of the gas version. Some of the test drivers are not that skilled, so some of the reviews are a little skewed, but there is a ton of good information to glean from them.
Wait till you get your Benz! While the Rx350 is a great Lexus choice, you will be blown away with the rock solid drive (and safety) of an MB. German cars are just built to a different standard than anything else. In Germany, people keep their cars for about 7-9 years (and longer), while here people tend to keep them 36 months and then on to the next one.

I wish there was some kind of formula I could find that could show me whether spending about 15 cents more a gallon for diesel fuel is worth it for the very measurable increased MPG over the lifetime of the car. Plus the additional cost to purchase the Blue Tec over the gas version.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Wait till you get your Benz! While the Rx350 is a great Lexus choice, you will be blown away with the rock solid drive (and safety) of an MB. German cars are just built to a different standard than anything else. In Germany, people keep their cars for about 7-9 years (and longer), while here people tend to keep them 36 months and then on to the next one.

I wish there was some kind of formula I could find that could show me whether spending about 15 cents more a gallon for diesel fuel is worth it for the very measurable increased MPG over the lifetime of the car. Plus the additional cost to purchase the Blue Tec over the gas version.
I can't get wait to get my ML350, no only because it's a great vehicle, but my current car registration runs out at the end of next month

Out here on Oahu, premium gas is around $3,90/gal, so it's around .60 more for diesel. Were the price a bit closer, I may have been more interested in the ML350BT. I, as well, would like to get some sort of calculator to figure out the diference between the gas and diesel versions from a total fuel expenditure. I won't be out here in Hawaii forever. I'll eventually get back to either Florida or North Carolina/South Carolina/thereabouts