Ordering ML350BT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350BT
Ordering ML350BT

Hi,
New to the forum and appreciate all the great info. Just ordered 2014 ML350BT with the following options:

Palladium
Black MB Tex with Eucalyptus trim
Black headliner
P01
MBTex Dashboard
Wheel bolts
Wood steering wheel
Rear Side Airbags
Manual 2nd row shades
Heated cupholders
Lighting Package
Airmatic
Trailer Hitch
HK Surround Sound
Running Boards
Multicolor ambient lighting
Keyless Go
Parking Assist
Driver Assist

Still having some second thoughts about some of the options. I am unsure about the Airmatic and the Running Boards. Worth the extra cost? Has Airmatic gotten more reliable over the years? I will hopefully be keeping the vehicle for ~10 years. I don't plan on any offroad driving and currently nothing to tow. Any other recommendations?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1) Plz note rear side airbags are not recommended for infants, toddlers, pre-teens.

2) Plz understand that Airmatic is only covered under original MB new car warranty, and/or extedned new car warranty... so if you plan to run over 50K miles future failure will be at your expense unless you have ELW..

3) Consider 3rd zone climate control in LA

4) Running boards should be your considered choice based on vehicles with and without on the dealer's lot
Old 03-19-2014, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
The problem is that the vehicle is not high enough to really need running boards, and the design of them results in a step that is too shallow to get your shoe fully into, and when you step up you are too high. Their protrusion so far from the body does in fact, keep your legs too far away from the interior floor to get in gracefully, so you stand away from the car's body, and you DO get the back of your leg dirty.

I believe you will struggle with them.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:16 AM

2014 ML350BT
Thank you for the info. I did some more research and decided to get rid of the rear side air bags. I also have gotten rid of the running boards.

Do you think the 3rd zone climate is worth the $800. Does it actually cool down the vehicle faster or just offer more control over the rear seat temperatures?

As far as Airmatic, I realize it is more expensive to repair than spring. I plan on getting extended warranty. I tried it out on an ML63 at the dealership and seemed like a fun option. How much of a difference is there on an ML350? How likely do you think it is to fail?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
1) Plz note rear side airbags are not recommended for infants, toddlers, pre-teens.

2) Plz understand that Airmatic is only covered under original MB new car warranty, and/or extedned new car warranty... so if you plan to run over 50K miles future failure will be at your expense unless you have ELW..

3) Consider 3rd zone climate control in LA

4) Running boards should be your considered choice based on vehicles with and without on the dealer's lot
Old 03-19-2014, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by exemd
Thank you for the info. I did some more research and decided to get rid of the rear side air bags. I also have gotten rid of the running boards.

Do you think the 3rd zone climate is worth the $800. Does it actually cool down the vehicle faster or just offer more control over the rear seat temperatures?

As far as Airmatic, I realize it is more expensive to repair than spring. I plan on getting extended warranty. I tried it out on an ML63 at the dealership and seemed like a fun option. How much of a difference is there on an ML350? How likely do you think it is to fail?

Thanks!
I have air susp on my E550. after a little while, you don't make the car go up & down for entertainment... You just use it like a regular car, although when you have a load of passengers/cargo the car will self level. I had the LF air shock go on me when the car had a year left on its 6 year ELW. Probably would have cost at least $1000 to $1500 if i had to pay for it at the MB dealer. If it ruptures & you don't fix it immediately, the compressor runs until it burns out, then you need that too.

The car does ride better tho. Get the ELW if you get air susp.

Smart to delete the running boards. They look like they would be good from afar, but they are a weak, non ergonomic, looks-only design.

As for the 3rd zone climate control. If it isn't another condenser within the car, I don't see how you will have more cold generated. BUT the more vents you have expelling cooled air within the car the better for initial cooldown and continued passenger comfort. Remember, the A/C system must first cool down the vent tubing for cool air to be delivered to the outlets. Then the more vents you have blowing cooled air from the higher parts of the interior, the sooner people will be comfortable. (Cold air falls, and people's heads are up high.)

The convenience opening feature is the best way to cool the car down the fastest by allowing all the superheated air from a parked car to exit, you don't first have to cool down that very hot air.

Sub the extra cooling outlets for the running boards.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 03-19-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:00 PM

2014 ML350BT
I think I will pass on the 3rd zone climate control. Most of the time its just me in the car. My wife is the one usually transporting the kids. First time I heard of the summer cooling function, thanks!

Still kind of torn on the Airmatic. Its an extra $1600 up front and I guess several thousand later on, but I will be getting an extended warranty regardless. (I think I will go for the Geico product rather than the dealership.) Is the difference in comfort on bumpy roads and handling on curvy roads significant compared to the spring? My dealer basically said that he doesn't sell any ML350's with airmatic so he didn't think it mattered.

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I have air susp on my E550. after a little while, you don't make the car go up & down for entertainment... You just use it like a regular car, although when you have a load of passengers/cargo the car will self level. I had the LF air shock go on me when the car had a year left on its 6 year ELW. Probably would have cost at least $1000 to $1500 if i had to pay for it at the MB dealer. If it ruptures & you don't fix it immediately, the compressor runs until it burns out, then you need that too.

The car does ride better tho. Get the ELW if you get air susp.

Smart to delete the running boards. They look like they would be good from afar, but they are a weak, non ergonomic, looks-only design.

As for the 3rd zone climate control. If it isn't another condenser within the car, I don't see how you will have more cold generated. BUT the more vents you have expelling cooled air within the car the better for initial cooldown and continued passenger comfort. Remember, the A/C system must first cool down the vent tubing for cool air to be delivered to the outlets. Then the more vents you have blowing cooled air from the higher parts of the interior, the sooner people will be comfortable. (Cold air falls, and people's heads are up high.)

The summer opening feature is the best way to cool the car down the fastest by allowing all the superheated air from a parked car to exit, you don't first have to cool down that very hot air.

Sub the extra cooling outlets for the running boards.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
I think the Summer Opening feature is now called Convenience Opening.

You point the smart key tip towards the little red window on the drivers door handle & press & hold unlock until windows & roof all are open. You can close them that way too. The key must be pointed directly at the handle from less than about 3 feet because the car unlocks by radio waves, but the roll down is done via IR.

The air suspension is much quicker to react due to bouncing because you are compressing air. There is no mechanical work & resistance. Also you can adjust how firm you like it and you can raise the car. ...all nice in a brochure, but if you didn't have it you wouldn't be sobbing about not having it. You know how overwrought and overthought the Germans over engineer their cars. They cover every "what if" under all conditions for all drivers. That's part of the reason why their cars cost more.

I've been w/ Geico 40 years and had their Mechanical Insurance as well as the MBELW because the GEICO upcharge for it was minimal. My real protection & benefit came from the MB coverage w/ no deductable.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 03-20-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:09 PM

2014 ML350BT
Thanks for the advice. I decided to keep the Airmatic.

Now I'm becoming indecisive about the interior. What do you think of the black mbtex with eucalyptus, mbtex dash and black headliner? not too much black? considering the brown satin ash to add more contrast.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
My order was nearly identical to yours except for the Airmatic and color. I went with Iridium Silver and added NightView instead of Airmatic. I live in a fairly remote area and have to dodge deer to and from my trips back to civilization every day.

I took delivery of a new ML last week. I too was hesitant about the black headliner with black interior, but my son insisted. Along with the satin ash trim I got it looks great. Go for it. You will love it.

While paying the special order charge, I also went with the wrapped dash. It was suggested by a few members here. I must say it's worth every penny. Adds a lot to the look and everyone likes it.

Finally, I had the dealer to replace the cheapest looking parts on the car before I took delivery. I got them to replace the door pins with the metal AMG pins so they sit flush with the door panel when locked. A small addition but they look much better than the plastic ones.

Overall the black interior along with ambient lighting is sharp in my new ML.

Last edited by SmokinReefer; 03-20-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:03 PM

2014 ML350BT
Just called the dealer and changed Eucalyptus to Satin Ash, so same combo as yours. I also got the wrapped dash. This is my first MB and can't want for delivery.

What did you think the extended service? Worth it?

I will likely get an extended warranty. Either from dealer or Geico, depending on what price I am offered.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:10 PM

ML350
I forgot I got the exterior sport package too. I hate the cheap black plastic they put around the bottom of vehicle. Not as noticeable on my black ML though.

If you are going to keep the vehicle for long then get the extended the warranty. The longest plan (7yr/125K) will cost you a few thousand but in my experience (12 years and 5 ML's) you will make a single repair or a few repairs which will exceed that amount. Nice vehicles but expensive to work on. I've always purchased the MB plan. I enjoy being able to drop my car off and hop in a loaner until my vehicle is ready knowing everything is covered.

Let me know if you want prices. I asked the same question last week and got tons of great info from the members here as well as the paperwork from my delivery.

Last edited by SmokinReefer; 03-20-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:30 PM

2014 ML350BT
I actually like the stock non-Sport body, so saved some money.

Would love whatever info you got on extended warranty and service plan.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:18 PM

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
ML350 BLUE TEC
I'd recommend the Multi Contour front seats. I did not get these on my ML and I miss the part of the Multi Contour seat that extends the bottom of the seat fwd (makes it longer). I have a SL that has these seats and its worth it. I had no idea how much I'd miss this feature. As for the massage features of the Multi Contour........I don't miss that at all.

I ordered without the running boards and that does not seem to be a problem for me.........but on shorter people it might be a problem. Say someone 5'2 and eyes of blue might have problems entering on the passenger side.

I sort of wish I'd gotten the shades for the windows in the rear. Not missed big time but might have added some value.

The Active Lane Keeping Assist can become a problem. IF your on the interstate and that interstate is being worked on and has those concrete barriers on each side of the road.........and your driving along side a eighteen wheeler, if it senses your drifting to the left when you actually are NOT, it will put on the brakes on one side of the car and pull you towards the eighteen wheeler. Not desireable imho. I'm not saying I'm actually drifting to the left, its just the system is seeing a temporary line on the left side of the car that is not very accurate to where the road is actually going. Do you really want to be pulled towards a 18 wheeler at close quarters????? I need to remember to turn that feature off the next time I know I'm going into 20 mile stretch of road construction.

Oh, and I wish the steering wheel would move back at a minimum of another six inches plus some. I'm not a steering wheel hugger, but when I'm comfortable (legs/body) the wheel has my arms extended almost at their full reach.

This is a pretty quite vehicle on a long road trip. Noise tires one out.

Last edited by HAILERS2; 03-20-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by HAILERS2
...I sort of wish I'd gotten the shades for the windows in the rear. Not missed big time but might have added some value...
What sort of value are you referring to? More comfort for rear passengers or monetary value at trade-in resale time?
Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 PM

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
ML350 BLUE TEC
Probably used the wrong term when using 'value'.

I would have liked the shades for keeping the sun out of the vehicle and for those rare times I sleep in the rear with the seats down at 'rest stops' along the hwy. So far I've only slept back there on the beach at Malaquite Beach.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 AM

2014 ML350BT
Cant say I've had the occasion to sleep in the back of my SUV in the recent past, but I do want to keep the sun off my kids. Skin cancer is a big deal and sun damage at an early age is one of the dominant risk factors.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by exemd
Cant say I've had the occasion to sleep in the back of my SUV in the recent past, but I do want to keep the sun off my kids. Skin cancer is a big deal and sun damage at an early age is one of the dominant risk factors.
UV exposure in cars.
Moehrle M1, Soballa M, Korn M.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
There is increasing knowledge about the hazards of solar and ultraviolet (UV) radiation to humans. Although people spend a significant time in cars, data on UV exposure during traveling are lacking. The aim of this study was to obtain basic information on personal UV exposure in cars.
METHODS:
UV transmission of car glass samples, windscreen, side and back windows and sunroof, was determined. UV exposure of passengers was evaluated in seven German middle-class cars, fitted with three different types of car windows. UV doses were measured with open or closed windows/sunroof of Mercedes-Benz E 220 T, E 320, and S 500, and in an open convertible car (Mercedes-Benz CLK). Bacillus subtilis spore film dosimeters (Viospor) were attached to the front, vertex, cheeks, upper arms, forearms and thighs of 'adult' and 'child' dummies.
RESULTS:
UV wavelengths longer than >335 nm were transmitted through car windows, and UV irradiation >380 nm was transmitted through compound glass windscreens. There was some variation in the spectral transmission of side windows according to the type of glass. On the arms, UV exposure was 3-4% of ambient radiation when the car windows were shut, and 25-31% of ambient radiation when the windows were open. In the open convertible car, the relative personal doses reached 62% of ambient radiation.
CONCLUSIONS:
The car glass types examined offer substantial protection against short-wave UV radiation. Professional drivers should keep car windows closed on sunny days to reduce occupational UV exposure. In individuals with polymorphic light eruption, produced by long-wave UVA, additional protection by plastic films, clothes or sunscreens appears necessary.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:29 AM

2014 ML350BT
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
UV exposure in cars.
Moehrle M1, Soballa M, Korn M.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
There is increasing knowledge about the hazards of solar and ultraviolet (UV) radiation to humans. Although people spend a significant time in cars, data on UV exposure during traveling are lacking. The aim of this study was to obtain basic information on personal UV exposure in cars.
METHODS:
UV transmission of car glass samples, windscreen, side and back windows and sunroof, was determined. UV exposure of passengers was evaluated in seven German middle-class cars, fitted with three different types of car windows. UV doses were measured with open or closed windows/sunroof of Mercedes-Benz E 220 T, E 320, and S 500, and in an open convertible car (Mercedes-Benz CLK). Bacillus subtilis spore film dosimeters (Viospor) were attached to the front, vertex, cheeks, upper arms, forearms and thighs of 'adult' and 'child' dummies.
RESULTS:
UV wavelengths longer than >335 nm were transmitted through car windows, and UV irradiation >380 nm was transmitted through compound glass windscreens. There was some variation in the spectral transmission of side windows according to the type of glass. On the arms, UV exposure was 3-4% of ambient radiation when the car windows were shut, and 25-31% of ambient radiation when the windows were open. In the open convertible car, the relative personal doses reached 62% of ambient radiation.
CONCLUSIONS:
The car glass types examined offer substantial protection against short-wave UV radiation. Professional drivers should keep car windows closed on sunny days to reduce occupational UV exposure. In individuals with polymorphic light eruption, produced by long-wave UVA, additional protection by plastic films, clothes or sunscreens appears necessary.
This was published before it was really established that UVA (315-400 nm) also causes skin cancer. Here is a recent review of the subject. Not sure what type of protection current generation MB side windows offer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Glass UV protection.pdf (87.9 KB, 1028 views)
Old 03-21-2014, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
New gen glass "better" than ever - you can always decide to add clear or tinted 3M Crystalline film to cut down 90%+ of the remaining SPF 1700+
Old 03-24-2014, 01:54 PM

2014 ML350BT
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
New gen glass "better" than ever - you can always decide to add clear or tinted 3M Crystalline film to cut down 90%+ of the remaining SPF 1700+
Thanks. Will definitely look into getting that.

Anyone seen any photos of the satin ash steering wheel with black mbtex interior? I am ordering it sight unseen and still considering leather vs wood.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:12 PM

ML350
Black MB Tex with satin ash, wrapped dash and black headliner..... It looks good. I saw it a ML63 and had some reservations but I'm glad I got it this way

Ordering ML350BT-image-1680632146.jpg

You can also use the build a vehicle "configurator" on the MB website to see the interiors

Last edited by SmokinReefer; 03-24-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by SmokinReefer
Black MB Tex with satin ash, wrapped dash and black headliner..... It looks good. I saw it a ML63 and had some reservations but I'm glad I got it this way

Attachment 282246

You can also use the build a vehicle "configurator" on the MB website to see the interiors
How it looks is one thing... how it feels is another altogether. I can tell you firsthand, the MB wood wrapped wheel feels fantastic in your hand.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:58 PM

2014 ML350BT
Thanks guys. SmokinReefer, that looks great. Now I feel much better waiting until the end of April.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Just got mine two weeks ago. Airmatic is an absolute MUST HAVE, if you like a comfortable ride. If you also want it to corner like a sports car, get the Active Curve System. It really does corner like it is on rails.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Just ordered my first MB (wife's car)...ML350 BT.

I've been a big diesel fan since picking up an A6 TDI last Aug. - while I was anxious to see the new Q7 (TDI) that comes out later this year, my wife wanted something bigger than the Q5, but smaller than the Q7...the ML fits the bill perfectly.

Think I got a pretty good deal...car spec'd out @ $62,715 and got it for $58,000 + TTL (7.5% off, so pretty much at invoice). Dealer was out of build allocations for 2014, so had to swap with another dealer to get one one of their open allocations - hoping to see the car by early June!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ordering ML350BT