M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Will MY15 ML350 have Apple CarPlay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350
Will MY15 ML350 have Apple CarPlay?

Hi guys, I am considering to get a MY15 ML350, but I didn't see articles talking about Apple CarPlay in this model.

Do you guys have any news about it? CarPlay is really a deal breaker for me.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2014, 02:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The Emerald Cruiser - my 2024 GLE 350
CarPlay is a deal-breaker? I just ponied up the $40 for the Apple 30-pin to Lightning adapter cable and it works fine. I would like to have Apple Maps on the infotainment screen, but I'm on an island (Oahu) and don't need navigation. Should I return to the mainland, that would of course change. SIRI integration would also be nice, but I don't use that functionality when I drive. That is not to say, of course, that I could not get used to all of the functionality offered by CarPlay

As to your question about MY2015 M Class vehicles, it depends on the radio head unit you get. If it's the same as that of the S and C class vehicles, you would most definitely have CarPlay functionality. Harman provides the radio head units, and the MY2014 has the NTG 4.5 version - NTG 5.0 is the one being fielded in the S and C Class vehicles. I was sort of in the same boat, but I decided to go ahead with the MY 2014 ML350. Mercedes has promised a 3rd party fix, for older models, by the end of the year, so not all is lost. Of course, that sentiment is predicated on the assumption that "older models" refers to the entire stable of Mercedes vehicles, and not just older S and C Class vehicles.

The current model M Class is most certainly a fine vehicle and you will not be sorry should you decide to purchase now. Just out of curiosity, why is CarPlay a deal breaker for you? Mind you, I'm not judging but am just curious. I plan on at least reviewing the option(s) offered by Mercedes later this year.

Actually, after looking at Apple's CarPlay webpage, the only "missing" functionality is the inclusion of the Podcast app. Because Apple decided to remove Podcasts from the Music app on the iPhone, I can no longer listen to them in my car. The 30-pin to Lightning cable adapter allows me to interact with the Music app on the phone, so I can listen to my music by Song, Artist, Album, Genre, etc... but with the Podcast app loaded on my iPhone, there is no way to listen to any podcasts and a lot of complaints have been sent to Apple on this issue, hence the Podcast app inclusion in CarPlay.