M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Rear Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2014 | 10:10 AM

ml350
Rear Pads

I have a 2012 ML350 4matic Blue Efficiency and was going to change the rear brake pads. I see these have and electronic parking brake set up. Do I need to use a scan tool to retract this? I can find nothing on this anywhere and my scanner does not show a function to retract only read and clear codes for this module as well as module ID. This Scan tools far covered all electronic parking brakes on other models no problem. Any help would be great. Thank you
Old 07-02-2014 | 03:16 PM

2012 ML350
I just replaced the rear pads and rotors on my 2012 ML350 Bluetec. I did not use the Scan Tool for the EPB, instead I disengaged the EPB from the service menu as described in this post - https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...m-hex-bit.html

Be sure to read how I could not re-engage the EPB (it worked out in the end).
Old 07-03-2014 | 02:25 PM

2012 ML350 BleTec
Smile Rear Pads

I, too, have a 2012 ML350 (Bluetec) that had the brake pad message come on recently. I took it in to have it serviced and found out that while all the wheel discs were fine, the electric brake, even though rarely used, had apparently stuck after the last time I used it (though there was no display light illuminated on the dash) and had worn out the inside right rear pad and that caused the warning to come on.
Lesson learned for me is to have the electric brake checked every time the vehicle is in for service to see if it is somehow still engaged. Obviously the warranty took care of the issue, but still it causes you to have to carve out time to take it to the dealer.
Nevertheless, this is my latest and greatest Bluetec and I could not be happier with it. 38,000 miles and my overall mileage is 25.4. Driving is an equal mix of city and highway. I love the torque of the 350 and am sorry to see it is not going to be available on the 2015s.