Drivers seat trim causng rips, cuts & injury

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 '02 AMG, ML250, C220
Unhappy Drivers seat trim causng rips, cuts & injury

Hi!

I have a UK 2014 ML250, unfortunately on numerous occasions when getting out the vehicle I've had several issues with the drivers seat trim (the side nearest the door where it goes part way under the seat) catching my leg and either ripping my jeans and/or cutting into my leg (the trim has now broken off as well the last time this happened).

My wife and myself have both encountered this issue, and we've tried to speak with Mercedes (sytner) about getting this sorted, but it's been a month and we're not getting anywhere

Is anyone else having issues like this with the new ML and this piece of trim catching clothing? also do you have any suggestions for getting movement from Mercedes after sales on fixing the issue (or is it unique to me and my wife?)???

Help greatly appreciated!

Last edited by piemmm; 05-05-2015 at 10:15 AM. Reason: grammar!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
What has the dealer said about this? Happen to have a pic would be interesting to see what part it is.
If they are not being helpful go to the next step http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/cont...link_contactus
Old 05-06-2015, 04:45 AM

Unhappy Pictures of trim (and resulting effect of getting caught on the end bit)

Hi, yes, sorry I hadn't got access to them when I originally wrote the post - attached are images showing the trim in the original position (you catch the end part of this with your leg when getting out)

It then rips your clothes and/or cuts into your leg - the remaining photos show the results of what happens when it catches on your leg (the last time this happened caused it to break off as you can't exactly stop yourself getting down from a high vehicle)

It's Milton Keynes Merc I'm dealing with as they are just down the road from us (though we have basically been told as we're the only ones experiencing this issue, that nothings going to happen). I can't believe we're the only ones (both of us) to experience this as we've both caught the trim numerous times when getting out, so I'm trying to see if anyone else is experiencing this....
Attached Thumbnails Drivers seat trim causng rips, cuts & injury-img-20150408-wa0006.jpg   Drivers seat trim causng rips, cuts & injury-img-20150408-wa0003.jpg   Drivers seat trim causng rips, cuts & injury-img-20150408-wa0005.jpg   Drivers seat trim causng rips, cuts & injury-img-20150408-wa0004.jpg  

Last edited by piemmm; 05-06-2015 at 04:48 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-06-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
ML350 Sport (W166) / SL500 (R230)
Just had a look on my ML, my leg is a good 4" away from that piece of trim whether i am getting in or out of the vehicle, I cant see how you can be catching your clothing. Was the trim loose and sticking out, on my ML it is well under the seat base.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:55 AM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
I have a hard time understanding exactly what is happening even with the photos. We have had no such problems but it sucks that you do. Are you dragging one leg while the other is planted outside the car?

Last edited by 27T; 05-07-2015 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:52 AM

Hi!

It's to do with the way you exit the vehicle - in the UK parking spaces are often quite tight, so the door is often not opened fully.

If you then exit with the intention of walking to the back of the vehicle, you often end up with your leg or foot (depending on the 'style' if you can call it that) of exiting in a confined space.

Your foot then goes under or close to under the seat as you have put your other foot down, and as you move forward/down to put your other foot down, it catches on the corner of the seat trim (as it's shaped a bit like a hook from the angle your leg is now at) and if you're unlucky, it will catch

All it needs is the trim to be redesigned so that it runs the full length of the front of the seat and goes down a bit further to cover the wiring loom that is exposed (my foot has manage to kick that a couple of times too). I did look to see if there was a drawer option to fit on the seat which should also work as it would cover the bad bits (like on the SL) but there doesn't appear to be one

The existing trim is correctly fitted against the seat when it catches on your leg. This is the second time we've broken the trim getting out of the vehicle (and been cut by it)

Last edited by piemmm; 05-07-2015 at 07:53 AM. Reason: added bits
Old 05-07-2015, 06:45 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
That's a legit cut on your leg. Maybe go to a custom interior shop and see if he can fashion something for you.