M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

LED headlights, will they fit without modification

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2015 ML350
LED headlights, will they fit without modification

When I replaced my Ford Lariat headlights with aftermarket LED headlights, I discovered that they don't really fit.
Sure, the headlight fit the hole and latched into place and worked fine, but the rear of LED headlights have a heatsink and fan. The cover for the headlight hole could not be reinstalled. I had to fabricate a taller cap and RTV it into place to keep the headlight enclosure sealed.

So I'm wondering, when I take out the Halogen headlights and replace them with new LED headlights, is the cavity deep enough that the sealing cap can be put back on?

Like others on the forum, I was surprised that my 2015 ML350 did not come with HID or LED headlights. I erroneously thought that all luxury cars (and especially Mercedes) came with modern headlights. But I digress.

If replacement LED lamps fit and work as well as they do in my Lariat, then I'm happy.

Ken
Old 11-10-2015, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
You will just need to try and see if it will fit. If cutting anything on the housing is involved better stop doing it and just go with a HID kit instead.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2015 ML350
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
You will just need to try and see if it will fit. If cutting anything on the housing is involved better stop doing it and just go with a HID kit instead.
Well, I was hoping to get a reply from some of the many people that have already replaced their Halogens with aftermarket LED lamps. I don't desire chopping on our new M-car. Nor do I want to buy 2 sets of LED lamps and find that chopping is required.

Thanks, anyways.

Ken
Old 11-10-2015, 08:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
From what I gathered from MB, they fit but they require new wiring to work(does this mean I can use the existing wire to just turn them on and not have active curve assist I'm not sure). He said it could be upwards of $3k since it's a labor intensive job; I have to go back when the service dept is open to get an actual quote as the sales guy wasn't 100% sure. It you own the car like I do, it might be worth the investment. I'm in the same boat and can't believe they wouldn't have HID as standard. I did ask to compare my headlights with another GLE with LED lights side by side and the difference is literally night and day. The LED lamps are incredibly nice. I purchased a morimoto HID kit but have been too nervous to try it lol.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by DFWKen
Well, I was hoping to get a reply from some of the many people that have already replaced their Halogens with aftermarket LED lamps. I don't desire chopping on our new M-car. Nor do I want to buy 2 sets of LED lamps and find that chopping is required.

Thanks, anyways.

Ken
Don't waste your time. I've already tested 6 led headlights on a different car and they all failed to shine light onto the floor. The light was shining all over the place. Think about it: a halogen bulb has a tiny filament as the focal point for the headlight lens. LEDs don't the this same focal poi t. They are too wide, high up or too low. Etc. it will ever align up and you will be blinding people and almost no light will shine on the ground.

Don't you remember when you put the bulb in your other car the light output was extremely poor.