M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

GLE63 SUV Build (why I chose, build details)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 241 Likes on 138 Posts
Soon: 2020 G63 Currently: 2016 GLE63 SUV + 97 F250HD, Before: 2013 G550, Range Rover Sport, 1984 CJ7
Post GLE63 SUV Build (why I chose, build details)

Hey Gents,

I just put in my build for a GLE63.

After spending MONTHS researching a new vehicle I landed back where I started - GLE63. I test drove many amazing vehicles (GTS, X5M, FFRR and RRSport).

I need a vehicle mostly to transport me from New York City to Vermont for weekend ski trips. Rarely do I drive elsewhere, occasionally trip to Philly.

My criteria was: SUV, 4 Wheel Drive, fits 5, top-notch drive quality, adaptive cruise control, a safe vehicle. And of course, something that can let me go really really fast when the roads are safe in the spring summer fall before snowtires go back on.

Ultimately I am happy with where I landed. But it was a hard decision deciding between vehicles.

I’ll abbreviate on why I landed where I did but do ask questions. I researched each vehicle diligently so I understood every option thoroughly.

Keep it mind - I am just pointing out the reasons I did not get the vehicles below. They are all capable imho, it just comes down to a few details and preferences.

Cayenne GTS - The GTS is one hell of a vehicle. The front grill is mean, but the rest the same as other models but with a serious quad exhaust. I always found the body a bit too feminine for my liking. I was annoyed by how the “options” added such a significant price to the vehicle which is a big reason I passed on it.

Range Rover - I had an 08 sport. Then a 13 G550. The tech in the rover was ****. The new ones are **** in my opinion. So disappointing because I would have gotten one. The touch screen is atrocious. Slow, bad locations, and it’s all touch. You CAN NOT use a touch screen when driving. It is so unsafe to be looking so intently at a screen. Big miss and ultimately why I passed on the 2016 Rover and Rover Sport models. If they had audi/bmw/benz tech I would be driving a rover again. (cheaper, fit all my needs, look better then all the trucks (benz too imho).

X5M - real contender. You can get good deals on the 2016s. Talking fully loaded (except the night vision for $103K (full leather, bang sound, exec package, etc etc). I passed on it for two reasons. First - there is not adaptive cruise control. Big miss for my driving style. Second - the ride is a bit stiff. I felt like I was going to crush a rim on every road bump. It felt really firm to me even in comfort mode. The back of it is weird looking too, particularly the way the rear window sticks out like a bubble butt.

Jeep - I hardly considered a jeep grand cherokee or SRT. The build and interior feels so cheap to me. It would bother me in a year or too and I would be looking for another rig.

I considered some others too but were either too big, too slow, too common and lame i.e. new volvo xc90 R-TYPE.

The GLE63 won for a few reasons.

1. I like the new front end. I typically do not like how MLs look but this one really looks pretty and mean at the same time. Overall it’s beautiful. I got the black night package and went with black on black colors. (not obsidian). Never done so much black before. I think the exhaust comes black too.

2. Drivers Asst package. It’s awesome the car will practically drive itself on the highway with Steer Assist. And keep speed with Distrionics.

3. Infotainment is really good. I like Audis and BMW too - probably just as much. I find it intuitive and LOVE the manual clicks and feel. No touch screen here thank god. I’m 33 and think touch screen in automobiles is a zone of danger

4. The truck is fast as heck, and around curves feels glued to the ground. It’ll be a big difference coming for 2008 rover sport and currently a Gwagon. It’ll come with CarPlay too (could care less but happy to have it for future purposes).

5. Exhaust. For a guy who wants a quieter ride than a Gwagon, its ironic I ordered the GLE63 with the AMG Performance Exhaust. The Sound is load as heck! But in comfort mode it is normal sound (angry and loud). In sport it is hardly street legal - it sounds like a machine gun shooting 50cals. For $625, it was a no brainer. I will have some occasional fun with it.

6. Benz 4matic is pretty good. I will put snow tires and 20”s on it in the winter months. With 4matic, height control, and slippery mode I suspect I will make it through most conditions. The occasional 3foot dump unplowed on my drive way might stop me.

7. Comfort - The GLE and Rover were the most comfortable suvs. I opted for the massage seats :-)

8. Some of the cool feature sold me too which I can not vouch for :-) Cross Wind Assist seems cool. Magic Vision might help frosty windows. Gimmick maybe

I'll try and attach my build below. Ask questions and comment. I know alot about this truck at this point so If considering options I might be able to assist.

GLE63 SUV Build (why I chose, build details)-1.jpg

GLE63 SUV Build (why I chose, build details)-2.jpg

GLE63 SUV Build (why I chose, build details)-3.jpg

Last edited by johnnyderm; 01-18-2016 at 12:00 PM. Reason: details
Old 01-19-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 G63 AMG, 2022 GLE 63S AMG
Originally Posted by johnnyderm
Hey Gents,

I just put in my build for a GLE63.

After spending MONTHS researching a new vehicle I landed back where I started - GLE63. I test drove many amazing vehicles (GTS, X5M, FFRR and RRSport).

I need a vehicle mostly to transport me from New York City to Vermont for weekend ski trips. Rarely do I drive elsewhere, occasionally trip to Philly.

My criteria was: SUV, 4 Wheel Drive, fits 5, top-notch drive quality, adaptive cruise control, a safe vehicle. And of course, something that can let me go really really fast when the roads are safe in the spring summer fall before snowtires go back on.

Ultimately I am happy with where I landed. But it was a hard decision deciding between vehicles.

I’ll abbreviate on why I landed where I did but do ask questions. I researched each vehicle diligently so I understood every option thoroughly.

Keep it mind - I am just pointing out the reasons I did not get the vehicles below. They are all capable imho, it just comes down to a few details and preferences.

Cayenne GTS - The GTS is one hell of a vehicle. The front grill is mean, but the rest the same as other models but with a serious quad exhaust. I always found the body a bit too feminine for my liking. I was annoyed by how the “options” added such a significant price to the vehicle which is a big reason I passed on it.

Range Rover - I had an 08 sport. Then a 13 G550. The tech in the rover was ****. The new ones are **** in my opinion. So disappointing because I would have gotten one. The touch screen is atrocious. Slow, bad locations, and it’s all touch. You CAN NOT use a touch screen when driving. It is so unsafe to be looking so intently at a screen. Big miss and ultimately why I passed on the 2016 Rover and Rover Sport models. If they had audi/bmw/benz tech I would be driving a rover again. (cheaper, fit all my needs, look better then all the trucks (benz too imho).

X5M - real contender. You can get good deals on the 2016s. Talking fully loaded (except the night vision for $103K (full leather, bang sound, exec package, etc etc). I passed on it for two reasons. First - there is not adaptive cruise control. Big miss for my driving style. Second - the ride is a bit stiff. I felt like I was going to crush a rim on every road bump. It felt really firm to me even in comfort mode. The back of it is weird looking too, particularly the way the rear window sticks out like a bubble butt.

Jeep - I hardly considered a jeep grand cherokee or SRT. The build and interior feels so cheap to me. It would bother me in a year or too and I would be looking for another rig.

I considered some others too but were either too big, too slow, too common and lame i.e. new volvo xc90 R-TYPE.

The GLE63 won for a few reasons.

1. I like the new front end. I typically do not like how MLs look but this one really looks pretty and mean at the same time. Overall it’s beautiful. I got the black night package and went with black on black colors. (not obsidian). Never done so much black before. I think the exhaust comes black too.

2. Drivers Asst package. It’s awesome the car will practically drive itself on the highway with Steer Assist. And keep speed with Distrionics.

3. Infotainment is really good. I like Audis and BMW too - probably just as much. I find it intuitive and LOVE the manual clicks and feel. No touch screen here thank god. I’m 33 and think touch screen in automobiles is a zone of danger

4. The truck is fast as heck, and around curves feels glued to the ground. It’ll be a big difference coming for 2008 rover sport and currently a Gwagon. It’ll come with CarPlay too (could care less but happy to have it for future purposes).

5. Exhaust. For a guy who wants a quieter ride than a Gwagon, its ironic I ordered the GLE63 with the AMG Performance Exhaust. The Sound is load as heck! But in comfort mode it is normal sound (angry and loud). In sport it is hardly street legal - it sounds like a machine gun shooting 50cals. For $625, it was a no brainer. I will have some occasional fun with it.

6. Benz 4matic is pretty good. I will put snow tires and 20”s on it in the winter months. With 4matic, height control, and slippery mode I suspect I will make it through most conditions. The occasional 3foot dump unplowed on my drive way might stop me.

7. Comfort - The GLE and Rover were the most comfortable suvs. I opted for the massage seats :-)

8. Some of the cool feature sold me too which I can not vouch for :-) Cross Wind Assist seems cool. Magic Vision might help frosty windows. Gimmick maybe

I'll try and attach my build below. Ask questions and comment. I know alot about this truck at this point so If considering options I might be able to assist.

Attachment 323501

Attachment 323502

Attachment 323503
Congrats bro! Keep us updated and shoot me a text when she's here!
Old 01-22-2016, 03:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
coming from a 2014 ML550 to a 2016 GTS I was surprised to see that the Porsche was more expensive than a GLE63. I was about to order another ML/GLE but the GTS test drive with it's precision made me impulse get it that night.
I never really considered the AMG since every dealer says they lease bad but once you pass 100K it pretty much leases the same. went back to the MBZ dealer to order a GLS for my mom and saw and black on black night package one like you ordered and was surprised at it's sticker. I guess it wasn't out of my price range but don't regret getting the GTS at all.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:35 PM

Received 241 Likes on 138 Posts
Soon: 2020 G63 Currently: 2016 GLE63 SUV + 97 F250HD, Before: 2013 G550, Range Rover Sport, 1984 CJ7
Since ordering my build I added the amg performance steering wheel on top of the heated steering wheel and carbon interior.

No clue when car is coming (ordered a month ago, and no updates yet)
Old 03-02-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL350BT
Congrats on the order. I am a happy owner of my 14 ML63, but when I saw the new GLE63 pulled up beside me it made me look twice. Gorgeous looking truck, and to compare with a lot of other trucks out there you just can't go wrong with an AMG.

Although, I do find the interior space a bit too small, with 2 kids, between car seats, strollers and diaper bags we run out of space real quick...

We will take a look at the new GLS63 when it comes out, otherwise it seems like the new Escalade ESV may replace the ML next...

Last edited by ROCKSTAR GL; 03-02-2016 at 10:08 AM.