M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

BLUETEC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 01:55 PM

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
ML350 BLUE TEC
BLUETEC

I searched the MBUSA site and find no diesel models offered whether E250, GLE250 or GLS350.

In other words no diesel at all. I've a ML350 BLUETEC with 70K plus miles and have started to be 'concerned'.

Anybody else 'concerned'?
Old 07-21-2016, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by HAILERS2
I searched the MBUSA site and find no diesel models offered whether E250, GLE250 or GLS350.

In other words no diesel at all. I've a ML350 BLUETEC with 70K plus miles and have started to be 'concerned'.

Anybody else 'concerned'?
Concerned about what? There's no evidence to indicate fraud with MB. (Believe me, clean air people have already began looking at other manufacturers and there isn't a "smidgen of evidence" to suggest fraud to quote our fearless leader.) Enjoy the car and when you're done sell it & move on.

BUT... you're right... they're not anywhere on MBUSA's website.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 07-21-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:35 PM

ML350 BLUE TEC
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...r-epa-scrutiny

Although I loathe that site to some degree, much like I LOATHE Yahoo News, the article indicates as early as May of this year the diesels might not be sold this year or at least til they get a clean bill of health from the EPA/whoever.

Concerned because the GLS is the only option these days for the three liter diesel engine. Concerned because I own a ML350 Bluetec and it's value might plummet in the near future.

Just bought a SL550 two Saturdays ago to counter the Prius (last year for the Prius from what I've read). Sort of a Anti-Prius car, the SL.

Last edited by HAILERS2; 07-21-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:48 PM

ML350 BLUE TEC
http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...der-q7-diesels

This little article suggesting the 3.0 liter Audi Q7 ..........might have to be bought back by VW/Audi because of the emissioins can't be brought into compliance. Hmmmm, 3.0 liter diesel much like the 3.0 liter diesel in my ML350 Bluetec. Plus, this day in the mail I got a flyer from my Mercedes dealer trying to get me to trade my ML for another Mercedes car/vehicle.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:12 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLE 450
https://www.hbsslaw.com/mercedes-own...tec-diesel-faq
Old 10-25-2016, 02:16 PM

ML350 BLUE TEC
I think my 'concern' is, that I won't be able in the future to buy a six cylinder diesel SUV.

All I see out there right now is the Jaguar F-Pace four cylinder, not quite what I'm looking for although it looks nice. I do see right now, at my Ft Worth dealer, a 2016 GLS 350 Bluetec for sale. It's a bit larger vehicle than I want.

I see a diesel vehicle in my future in the form of a car since I see no six cylinder SUV's out there. Maybe a used 2016 BMW 535D (again) or I had a E220D as a loaner and it was ok, sorta. The Jaguar XF diesel and XE diesels are out there now, but their engines are a bit lesser than the BMW 535D. That Audi A6 TDI looks like what I want in car form, but I wonder if they'll be around in a year or Not. I have not looked into that yet

I doubt my 2014 ML350 Bluetec with 75K right now is going to be worth a whole lot no matter what in a year or so, for a trade in. Should have over 100K by then easily.

I think I'll go pull weeds in the yard since it's more productive than thinking about diesels.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by HAILERS2
I think my 'concern' is, that I won't be able in the future to buy a six cylinder diesel SUV.
... snip ...
That is a perfectly valid concern - and unfortunately you won't like the answer. AFAIK following the dieselgate scandal, the EPA now requires that every passenger diesel vehicle undergoes EPA testing for every model year, but the time it takes them to issue the final approval from the time the testing starts is something ridiculous like eight months... so in essence MB would have to, say, deliver a 2017MY diesel to the EPA for testing in October, and they would receive the approval sometime in June. They can then sell the car for a whopping four months, and have to then repeat the entire process for a 2018MY car before they can sell it. As a result, pretty much every European auto manufacturer is phasing out diesels for the NA market.

Of course, this doesn't apply to pickup trucks as they are classified as commercial vehicles and don't need to meet emissioin standards set for passenger vehicles... so you will definitley still continue to see plenty of "coal rollers".
Old 10-27-2016, 02:55 PM

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 GLE450
Originally Posted by Diabolis
That is a perfectly valid concern - and unfortunately you won't like the answer. AFAIK following the dieselgate scandal, the EPA now requires that every passenger diesel vehicle undergoes EPA testing for every model year, but the time it takes them to issue the final approval from the time the testing starts is something ridiculous like eight months... so in essence MB would have to, say, deliver a 2017MY diesel to the EPA for testing in October, and they would receive the approval sometime in June. They can then sell the car for a whopping four months, and have to then repeat the entire process for a 2018MY car before they can sell it. As a result, pretty much every European auto manufacturer is phasing out diesels for the NA market.

Of course, this doesn't apply to pickup trucks as they are classified as commercial vehicles and don't need to meet emissioin standards set for passenger vehicles... so you will definitley still continue to see plenty of "coal rollers".
I find this whole thing disappointing. The only thing that helps is I am not happy with the 4 cylinder diesel. I miss my 350
Old 10-28-2016, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500 2015 ML350 Bluetec
Seems to me based on this information, that currently late model, low mileage ML350 Bluetec's will only increase in value over time.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:15 AM

ML350 BLUE TEC
http://blog.caranddriver.com/mercede...t-six-engines/

HOPE springs eternal for diesel heads with GLE/ML's. The last paragraph gives me hope that when my 2014 ML Bluetec gets into the 150K range, there will be a replacement with approx 309 hp and tons more torque, for one of the quietest interstate cruisers.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
Not sure if anyone has posted this before or not, but i remember reading it on wikipedia the week i bought my bluetec years ago

Too bad they just didnt suck it up and give credit, and keep using our bluetec system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlueTec

"Daimler AG has entered into an agreement with Volkswagen and Audi to share BlueTEC technology with them in order to increase the Diesel passenger-vehicle market in the United States.[5] [6]VW introduced the Jetta Clean TDI, the Tiguan concept, and the Touareg BlueTDI as part of the BlueTec licensing program. The Jetta and the Tiguan use NOx adsorbers, while the Touareg uses a Selective Catalytic Reduction catalytic converter.[citation needed]
In August 2007 VW Group announced that cooperation on BlueTEC with Daimler AG would end. The reasoning for this change is due to the recognition of the VW TDI branding. VW did not want to use a competitor's branding for a product they would introduce into the market.[7] [8] VW developed their own system, but it failed and they re-programmed the engine control to show false values during pollution tests.[9][10][11]