M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

2012 ML350 Bluetech tailgate not raise and lower.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
2012 ML350 Bluetech tailgate not raise and lower.

Hi All,

I am new to here and I just have my 2012 ML350 Bluetech tailgate problem today.
After some shopping today, I try to open ml tailgate by remote key and it turns out open but not lift. Therefore I have to lift up and close manually. When I press the red button(and remote), tailgate just doesn't work.
Checked fuses and try to reset (by pressing red button for 3-5 seconds), it just doesn't move at all.
Will go to the dealer tomorrow, any recommendation before I go to the dealer will be appreciated!!!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by jamesckc
Hi All,

I am new to here and I just have my 2012 ML350 Bluetech tailgate problem today.
After some shopping today, I try to open ml tailgate by remote key and it turns out open but not lift. Therefore I have to lift up and close manually. When I press the red button(and remote), tailgate just doesn't work.
Checked fuses and try to reset (by pressing red button for 3-5 seconds), it just doesn't move at all.
Will go to the dealer tomorrow, any recommendation before I go to the dealer will be appreciated!!!
Bring Money
Old 01-16-2017, 10:55 AM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
For same symptoms on my '14 ML350, dealer replaced the tailgate controller (warranty covered the repair).
Old 01-16-2017, 11:15 AM

ML350
Originally Posted by pcy
For same symptoms on my '14 ML350, dealer replaced the tailgate controller (warranty covered the repair).
Hi Pcy,
Thank you for your reply. Any idea how much it cost? My warranty has been expired.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
ML350 BLUE TEC
Same problem here on a 2014 Blluetec. Liftgate will not open automatically nor close.

Part replaced cost 565.50
Part number is: 166-890-00-00
Part name is: Drive Spinde

I was told it's the left strut that was replaced and I suppose that is the Drive Spindle?? Got me. Labor was 340.16

It took approx 2 hrs and the part was in stock.......which makes me believe it's not that uncommon for it to fail. They also recommended replacing the right strut and that was a recommendation which I threw the dice and said 'nope'. I'll take my chances.

You could Google the part number and see what it is. I have not done that ..yet. Oh, I was told it's the left strut that drives the liftgate open fyi.

Not so long ago I'd have gone to the wrecking yard and gotten one and replaced it myself. I've gotten very lazy the last few years. Lazy cost money.

I just Googled it and it seems you can buy it for a couple hundred less than I paid. Lazy cost me several hundred bucks today.

EDIT: That part number is supposed to be the RIGHT strut, not the left according to what I saw on Google. I suppose I was not listening close enough and thought he said left. Oh well

Last edited by HAILERS2; 01-16-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:45 AM

ML350
Hi HAILERS2,

Thanks for your information!
I went to the dealer yesterday and been told same as you.
Will make appointment to change it soon!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by HAILERS2
Same problem here on a 2014 Blluetec. Liftgate will not open automatically nor close.

Part replaced cost 565.50
Part number is: 166-890-00-00
Part name is: Drive Spinde

I was told it's the left strut that was replaced and I suppose that is the Drive Spindle?? Got me. Labor was 340.16

It took approx 2 hrs and the part was in stock.......which makes me believe it's not that uncommon for it to fail. They also recommended replacing the right strut and that was a recommendation which I threw the dice and said 'nope'. I'll take my chances.

You could Google the part number and see what it is. I have not done that ..yet. Oh, I was told it's the left strut that drives the liftgate open fyi.

Not so long ago I'd have gone to the wrecking yard and gotten one and replaced it myself. I've gotten very lazy the last few years. Lazy cost money.

I just Googled it and it seems you can buy it for a couple hundred less than I paid. Lazy cost me several hundred bucks today.

EDIT: That part number is supposed to be the RIGHT strut, not the left according to what I saw on Google. I suppose I was not listening close enough and thought he said left. Oh well