M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Panoramic Sunroof Popping Noise?

Old 07-23-2017, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320, 2010 E350 Sedan, 2009 E350 Wagon, 2014 E350 Coupe, 2015 ML 350
Panoramic Sunroof Popping Noise?

Hi everyone, anyone experience issues with the panoramic sunroof popping on inclines/going into driveways?

Already taken it to the dealer twice and they say "can't duplicate the problem" and said they just oiled the brackets or something like that. Frustrating on what should be a well engineered car!

Any helpful hints/suggestions or potential fixes would be appreciated.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:58 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 GLE400 4MATIC
Locktight

Yes the pano sunroof is a very well known issue for EVERYONE who owns a merc with one. My C350 coupe went into the shop about 4 times before they made it stop. The fix (they said) was to replace all the bolts that mount it to the top of the car and put lock tight on to ensure they didn't walk loose as the body flexes in the future. It worked for me. That popping sound is very scary, always sounded like a rock thrown at my window from point blank. You need a lead tech to ride in the car with you and turn the wheel while you drive over an uneven surface (like a driveway entrance)...just keep driving over uneven surfaces that make the body flex and your tech will hear it sooner or later. I had to go back 4 times to get a guy who knew what I was talking about.