Valve stem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 S450 4Matic, 2010 S550 4Matic(sold), 2012 ML350 4Matic
Valve stem

Hi,

I have a slow leak in my valve stem on 1 wheel. The leak is between the schraeder valve stem and the locking "nut" which holds the valve/tpms in place.
I assume there is an o-ring here.

Is this an easy do-it-yourself repair, or should I take it to the dealer? I'm wondering if the valve will fall into the tire when I remove the "nut".

Thx
Tom
Old 04-03-2018, 04:10 PM

Received 113 Likes on 98 Posts
Ml350 bluetec
Originally Posted by jbarhorst
Hi,

I have a slow leak in my valve stem on 1 wheel. The leak is between the schraeder valve stem and the locking "nut" which holds the valve/tpms in place.
I assume there is an o-ring here.

Is this an easy do-it-yourself repair, or should I take it to the dealer? I'm wondering if the valve will fall into the rim when I remove the "nut".

Thx
Tom
This is not a DIY repair. If you undo the locking nut, the valve stem most likely will "fall" into the tire itself. There usually is a rubber ring that seals the TPMS(Valve Stem) against the rim.

Last edited by Etienne Lau; 04-03-2018 at 04:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jbarhorst (04-08-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 02:07 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
GLC300 (GL350-gone)
Probably too late for this post, but this is a job a tire shop can do without even removing the tire off the rim. A skilled technician simply lets the air out and reaches in to replace the valve by pushing through past the bead. You can buy a compatible valve on eBay for a fraction of the price the dealer charges (I run such a set on my winters) and no programming is required. If your car is no longer under warranty so that this would be a free repair to you, there's no reason to go to the dealer for a simple tire valve repair.