M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Anyone know how to access fuel pump?

Old 11-19-2018, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Saleen, 2003 S55
Anyone know how to access fuel pump?

I have a 2012 ML350, scanner has a bunch of codes that leads towards the fuel pump. I have the back seats out, carpet up and do not see any access hatch to get to the pump. Any ideas?? Fuse also blows immediately as i replace it even when the truck is completely off. Had water accumulate in the spare tire well, not sure how but noticed the carpet was damp when I lifted it up. If I jump the fuse the pump or something in the tank sounds like it knocks but wont turn over.

Last edited by NMRA92; 11-19-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 ML 320
I also have a 2012 ML350 with a fuel pressure fault code. I understood the access ports for fuel filter and fuel pump were under the rear seats. (Fuel filter on driver side and fuel pump on passenger side.) I am slowly figuring out how to remove the rear seat back. Hope to get in there tonight. Will be pissed if there are no access ports like I've seen in a couple of videos.

Did you make any progress on your repair?
Old 11-29-2018, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w221 S350
I'm afraid you're gonna have to remove the fuel tank. Here's the procedure from WIS.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Remove_install fuel pump.pdf (59.3 KB, 171 views)
Old 11-29-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 ML 320
Originally Posted by markmatt
I'm afraid you're gonna have to remove the fuel tank. Here's the procedure from WIS.
Thank you so much. You confirmed what I discovered the hard way last evening. I completely removed the rear seats and door pillar trim to be able to pull the carpet back to expose the area beneath the seats. I discovered no access ports for the fuel filter and fuel pump as I had seen in multiple videos of earlier ML fuel pump replacement procedures. In my clumsy attempt to remove the rear seats, I had also already removed everything in the trunk area (floor over spare tire storage area, spare tire and tire changing parts, and all trim surrounding the spare tire storage area). I found no port there either so I concluded the tank must be dropped for this repair on a W166 and I put everything back together.

Edited to add this pic of the area under the rear seats:

Last edited by sunedog; 12-04-2018 at 09:54 AM.