M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Bremi brand ABS wheel sensor not compatible

Old 12-02-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML-350
Exclamation Bremi brand ABS wheel sensor not compatible

ML-350, 2010 with 85k miles. DTC for front right wheel speed sensor. Replaced with Bremi brand sensor, still had DTC
Got advice to use OEM only for speed sensors, and that fixed the problem.

For others with this problem, I suggest replacing all sensors at once.
Within 4 months of the 1st failing, both rear sensors failed. All replaced with OEM.
Use ant-seize on the body of the sensor where it contacts the iron wheel hub.
In the salt belt the original was fused to the rusty iron and had to be drilled out.

If you are suffering from this problem, expect the car to go into limp mode. It will limit RPM or to only 2nd and 4th gear.
It may also induce a CHECK ENGINE condition. Followed by refusal to engage in drive, forward or reverse Cycling the ignition switch clears this error.
Pulling the ABS fuse allows you to drive the car without false limp mode engagement.

Repairing the left rear sensor caused the right rear sensor to display a DTC IMMEDIATELY, without even moving the wheel.
This is suspicious. Either the sensor was already bad, or the r.r. DTC was false. Another owner had the same sequence.

[editorial]
The M-B software is poorly designed. A single non-critical speed sensor failure should never lead to a situation where the transmission won't engage .
The software disabled everything, all but shutting down the engine. M-B clearly did not want me to get home.
With two sensors gone, I had to clear DTC's at the start of each drive.
I won't be buying any similar M-B's.

The following users liked this post:
peter2772000 (12-03-2018)