M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Steering Wheel Adjustment Repeat Malfunctions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2019 | 05:42 PM

2015 ML400
Steering Wheel Adjustment Repeat Malfunctions

I’ve had my 2015 ML400 for about 9 months. In that time, I’ve had it into the dealership 3 or 4 times for a malfunctioning steering column adjustment mechanism.

the first time, it completely froze up and would not move up or down. They oiled the mechism and it worked fine.

the second time, it did not freeze, but when starting cold in cold weather (around 30 F or lower), it would stutter. they replaced the motor.

the third time, it was still stuttering when cold and then froze up. This time, they replaced the entire column.

yet, the stutter when starting cold persists.

it seems like a potential power issue, which may not have been addressed during the prior repairs.

the wheel starts lowering when the car powers on for a second, then stops for a beat, then continues lowering. It doesn’t do it unless it’s a cold start in cooler weather.

i don’t want to keep bringing the car in for this issue and seem like I’m nuts, so o wonder if anyone else has experienced this and has a recommendation.

i have a video, and will update the post from my computer later.
Old 02-18-2019 | 08:23 PM

ML350
when our temps here dropped massively within a few days, i had 1 day where the steering wheel column would not budge up or down. Car was parked outdoors though, so that day it happened i parked the car indoors and the column then freely moved. Also now parking outdoors even on cold days i am not having any issues. Had windows freeze too so i feel like it may just have been due to moisture and the quick drop in temperature, once the car acclimated to the colder temps, even my windows dont freeze anymore unless we have a huge shift in outdoor temps or some rain/moisture.

the start then stop of the column movement does sound like a power issue, check your battery and see what readings youre getting from it.