M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Interior Trim Damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 07:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
N/A
Interior Trim Damage

So last week I took my car to the dealer for service and recall work. I also provided a list of issues that hoped would be covered under CPO, which none were. I pick up the car today and open the door and my eyes are immediately drawn to a huge gouge in the center console. I then notice the driver side door trim appeared to have several gouges and a crack running half way down the trim piece. Of course internal alarm bells start ringing so i further inspect the interior and notice the passenger side door trim with a similar crack. I immediately flag down the SA, show him the damage, and ask what happened. Before looking he immediately states we didn't do it and it must have been like that. I object and say of course not and so I realize this is going nowhere fast. I ask to see the manager who comes out and tells me they did not cause the damage and they would not be paying for or fixing anything. The manager states he has seen this happen to the trim pieces all the timesees this all the time. So I'm thinking where is the TSB. I then offered a few pleasantries and departed.

So, anybody have any idea where i can get these trim pieces and what they cost? I was also thinking of maybe wrapping the trim if i have to. (Sorry to repost this from the AMG thread)

Old 02-19-2019, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
OMG! Sounds like the car was abused by the tech either on purpose or just from not paying attention. I bet the dealer was crazy busy and they rushed and not paid attention and they just kept bumping into everything. I would take it right back and throw a fit until they fix it or compensate you.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ml350 bluetek c300 18 Camaro 2SS rag
Good luck with that
The morons at a dealer in Fort Myers Fla removed the glue and tape residue from the inside of my wheels after a re
balance, with a scraper and sandpaper
I also had to use a 4 foot bar on my ratchet to get them loose, as I always check after the wheels have been taken off in case they are loose.or are so tight I could not get them off on the road in case of a flat
They touched up the outside of the wheel where it was also scraped off , but refused to refinish the inside where it was damaged
It also had grease on the door sill when I got it back.
I pointed it out to the lot guy when I was picking it up,and he could have cared less
I call to head office of MB got me nowhere , saying they are all franchises and they have no influence on them to fix the wheel damage .
i ended up having it refinished myself
MB owners beware DONT go there

Last edited by Snowbird12; 02-19-2019 at 10:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
peter2772000 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
To the OP - is this your normal driver or occasional drive ? The reason I ask is it is not uncommon to "not see" door trim issues on a M-Class because it's not a area we normally see - we step "up" into the cabin and we see what's ahead - and pay no attention except grabbing a handle to get out.

Unless you had specific service or recall work dealing with the door panels - then let's call this "front door wood trim defect/cracks" - and notably this has happened on both your front doors.

1. Door Trim - not usually covered under CPO - and if dealer requests CPO coverage for your case from Mercedes that dealer request is turned down - now WHAT CAN BE DONE that might work for your benefit - call Mercedes Customer Care (800) 367-6372 - weekdays early business hrs mornings - with a copy of your most recent service invoice - and explain you believe Mercedes CPO should stand behind this wood trim - since it's obvious a defect since it happened to BOTH trim pieces - and you want No Charge CPO Warranty replacement done at your dealer. The service record gives you vin# - current miles - dealer info - all the right stuff that agent will need to open a "Customer Assistance Case" (aka CAC) .
Your call to Customer Care opens that CAC channel - and customer care will will review the info you gave them - annd in about 48hrs approve (or not approve) no charge replacement under their "CAC dollars".

2. Seat Belt Buckle Gouge Center Console - again this is in a area that your normally "don't see" - you will never know - I would say it's been there a long time - at some point someone looking to fasten the seatbelt - someone repeatedly and repeatedly over time "poked" the seat belt buckle into the console - it would take a lot of repeated poking to make that type of mark - and definitely NOT a defect - and definitely not a one-time poke. This mark not easy to correct - but could be done. If it was me - I'd forget about it. If it bug's you get a referral to a vinyl seat repair guy who could fill and respray that full side of the console (and he "probably" will need to pull the seat) a lot to get done if you want that repaired.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:26 PM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
To the OP - is this your normal driver or occasional drive ? The reason I ask is it is not uncommon to "not see" door trim issues on a M-Class because it's not a area we normally see - we step "up" into the cabin and we see what's ahead - and pay no attention except grabbing a handle to get out.

Unless you had specific service or recall work dealing with the door panels - then let's call this "front door wood trim defect/cracks" - and notably this has happened on both your front doors.

1. Door Trim - not usually covered under CPO - and if dealer requests CPO coverage for your case from Mercedes that dealer request is turned down - now WHAT CAN BE DONE that might work for your benefit - call Mercedes Customer Care (800) 367-6372 - weekdays early business hrs mornings - with a copy of your most recent service invoice - and explain you believe Mercedes CPO should stand behind this wood trim - since it's obvious a defect since it happened to BOTH trim pieces - and you want No Charge CPO Warranty replacement done at your dealer. The service record gives you vin# - current miles - dealer info - all the right stuff that agent will need to open a "Customer Assistance Case" (aka CAC) .
Your call to Customer Care opens that CAC channel - and customer care will will review the info you gave them - annd in about 48hrs approve (or not approve) no charge replacement under their "CAC dollars".

2. Seat Belt Buckle Gouge Center Console - again this is in a area that your normally "don't see" - you will never know - I would say it's been there a long time - at some point someone looking to fasten the seatbelt - someone repeatedly and repeatedly over time "poked" the seat belt buckle into the console - it would take a lot of repeated poking to make that type of mark - and definitely NOT a defect - and definitely not a one-time poke. This mark not easy to correct - but could be done. If it was me - I'd forget about it. If it bug's you get a referral to a vinyl seat repair guy who could fill and respray that full side of the console (and he "probably" will need to pull the seat) a lot to get done if you want that repaired.
I would tend to agree with the steps here, but it is quite unfortunate these trucks are susceptible to minor damage like this, while their predecessor, specifically the w163s, could take a HELL of a beating and some still looked pristine 15+ years later on the inside. Sign of the times I suppose.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
assume you got the correct car back

i had an escalade ext and dealer service brought up the wrong vehicle once. i was like WTF happened to my truck, but upon closer look it wasn't mine. and there was like only one other in the county with my color.

probably didn't happen, but could you have really missed all that damage when you purchased the vehicle? if not, i would continue to press the service people.

good luck, ron
Old 02-24-2019, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Dude... like, seriously? The dealership made all that damage, including the wear from the seat belt that is obviously a result of the buckle rubbing there for thousands of hours? Get a life.

Seeing as the pieces you need to buy are all going to be made by Mercedes, you really ought to think about getting a different car or I am sure they will screw you again because you have to buy them from Mercedes. Things wear out over time and materials fail and crack. If you want a car that looks like a new car, buy a new car.