M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

road dirt getting in & under engine cover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 10:27 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
ML350
road dirt getting in & under engine cover

about 3 weekends ago i replaced the fuel filter, and just this past weekend i was poking around under the hood just checking on the fuel filter to ensure no leaks or problems, and i noticed what looked like a few small asphalt pieces on the new fuel filter. Not that long ago i also cleaned the air tube connecting to the turbo, but i also now noticed some sand/gravel on top of the air tube.

my assumption is that this isn't being kicked up from below the car because of the engine cover that covers all of this, and also because of the bottom covers on the car. I'm guessing this is all being forced into the area via the air connector to the front of the engine cover.

wondering if anyone has also noticed something similar and if you are aware of any sort of remedy/mesh/filter for that front air inlet. My car has the mesh vent covers for the engine air filter inlets, but nothing in this middle piece.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ml350
2015 ML350, bought 1/2018 with 15K miles, currently at 33K

I am surprised by how much sandy grit / debris is all over the engine and compartment. Normal to me would be dust and dirt, not the heavier material I am seeing now. As with Babukb2, I am curious how it gets there. With previous cars (not MB) I always kept everything under the hood clean so this is really different. With the warmer weather I will be getting it cleaned up. Would be curious if other owners experience the same.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
I honestly haven't noticed the engine compartment getting any dirtier than any other vehicle I've owned. I pressure-wash all my engine compartments at least twice every summer. It does get dirty rather quickly under there, regardless of which vehicle.