M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Can You Permanently Turn off a 2012 Blind Spot Assist?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2012 ML350D
Can You Permanently Turn off a 2012 Blind Spot Assist?

Hello Folks, I went through the car wash in Winter and shortly after the blind spot inoperative message displayed. The mechanic confirmed water got into it. There are definitely issues with these sensors based on all the comments in the forum.
I was able to turn them off, clearing the blind spot error message from the dash and turned off the triangles from the side mirrors. Unfortunately, the message came back and I can't turn it off.
Does anyone know how it can be turned it off permanently? I don't want to waste money replacing them.
The mechanic also mentioned that they have seen cases where the vehicle won't move as a result of problems with this sensor so he recommended fixing it sooner rather than later. Sales pitch or true?

Last edited by pdw1; 05-14-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:38 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
ML350
i don't know about not moving, but i have seen videos and posts regarding more errors and issues if blind spot is not fixed. i think i saw a youtube video of someone getting a CEL and some other weird error messages on their dash just due to the blind spot module problem.
Turn signals not working is another thing i read about being a problem as well since i think it is wired into the same system.

is your blind spot inoperative error/message consistently on?

i have now been dealing with the same error but mine usually disappears after 1 minute of driving, and blind spot assist works perfectly fine too. I tried checking the passenger side module and cleaning it up but it didn't fix the problem :/ Unless i just didnt clean it well enough. The passenger side module was hard to reach and i have no clue how to get to the driver side module since i can even see it.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2012 ML350D
Yes, the message is on all the time.

From what I am reading the main issue is the seal is coming apart. Perhaps moisture is getting in yours and causing an electrical issue?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W166
Originally Posted by pdw1
Yes, the message is on all the time.

From what I am reading the main issue is the seal is coming apart. Perhaps moisture is getting in yours and causing an electrical issue?
If you press ok the message should disappear until next restart. If it really bothers you then you should consider replacing it. Most likely only one side has failed. I would get the car scanned to find out which side it is, and replace it. The cost of the part is reasonable on eBay - $300 CAD shipped for me. Dealer wanted $880