M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

ML350 W166 - Caught fire on engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2020 | 05:36 PM

Mercedes ML
ML350 W166 - Caught fire on engine

Hi guys

Two days ago me and my family were driving in our 2014 ML350 bluetec, when one of our kids got carsick and we therefore pulled over. When we pulled over, I immediately saw that quite some smoke was coming out of the left front wheelbase and I went out to see if it was overheated brakes.
When I got out I could easily see it was not coming from the wheel and I therefore popped the hood which lead to a lot of smoke and after few second the engine caught fire on the right side towards the front.

Luckily it died out after 2-3 minutes and the car could easily start when the truck came to pick it up.

There is a bit of oil in the area, but I haven’t had any issues with oil leaks prior to this.

I never had any warning lamps, lack of power, high temperature or anything and the car had service 3 months ago. The car just passed 100.000km.

Anyone that has heard or seen this before?

I have a video on my iPhone, but it’s not a valid format in here.
Old 02-24-2020 | 11:40 PM

'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by Kasper V
Hi guys

Two days ago me and my family were driving in our 2014 ML350 bluetec, when one of our kids got carsick and we therefore pulled over. When we pulled over, I immediately saw that quite some smoke was coming out of the left front wheelbase and I went out to see if it was overheated brakes.
When I got out I could easily see it was not coming from the wheel and I therefore popped the hood which lead to a lot of smoke and after few second the engine caught fire on the right side towards the front.

Luckily it died out after 2-3 minutes and the car could easily start when the truck came to pick it up.

There is a bit of oil in the area, but I haven’t had any issues with oil leaks prior to this.

I never had any warning lamps, lack of power, high temperature or anything and the car had service 3 months ago. The car just passed 100.000km.

Anyone that has heard or seen this before?

I have a video on my iPhone, but it’s not a valid format in here.
Put the video on YouTube and post link. Sounds like oil leak from valve cover which caught a spark but playing a guessing game here without seeing the video evidence.
Old 02-25-2020 | 05:10 AM

Mercedes ML
Originally Posted by we47b1me
Put the video on YouTube and post link. Sounds like oil leak from valve cover which caught a spark but playing a guessing game here without seeing the video evidence.
I uploaded the video to YouTube, see link below. It shakes a bit, but I also had three kids in the car that I needed to look after..

The car is in the garage and they should do trouble shooting today, but I’m a bit concerned since I really need the car back on Thursday..
Old 02-25-2020 | 10:55 AM

'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by Kasper V
I uploaded the video to YouTube, see link below. It shakes a bit, but I also had three kids in the car that I needed to look after..

https://youtu.be/cmOttPCRY9U

The car is in the garage and they should do trouble shooting today, but I’m a bit concerned since I really need the car back on Thursday..
Looks like oil leakage sparked up -- glad family is alright

The car is in the garage and they should do trouble shooting today, but I’m a bit concerned since I really need the car back on Thursday..[/QUOTE]

Looks like oil leakage sparked up -- glad family is alright
Old 02-25-2020 | 05:53 PM

mercedes ml 320 del 99
low range malo

hola amigos,tengo un ml 320 del 99 y el low range se a quedado activado lei sus comentarios y fui al rastro y compre un motor de segunda y ya se lo puse y nada,sigue igual.fui al rastro y lo cambei por otro y se lo puse y nada tampoco,sigue en rango bajo con la luz prendida low range...q puedo hacer please...consejos...gracias gente.