M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Upgraded a new steering wheel, need wheel alignment?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 W166
Upgraded a new steering wheel, need wheel alignment?

I bought a better looking flat steering wheel. I put it on myself. Of course, I did my home work. Watched quite a few videos on YouTube and read various articles.

All worked out but I noticed the car slightly pulls to left. The old steering didn’t have this problem.

I repeated the process and double checked the details while installing. But still pulls to left, slightly.

I booked in a wheel alignment but not sure if this would be the right way treating it.

Do I need it? Or what else should I try?

Old 03-24-2021, 11:21 AM

Received 113 Likes on 98 Posts
Ml350 bluetec
When you mean pulling, do you mean the steering wheel is not straight. Or did you mean when you take your hands off the steering wheel the vehicle drifts/pulls in one direction? Changing steering wheels usually entails maybe taking to alignment shop to have them re-center the steering wheel by adjusting front toe because the splines on your new steering wheel likely will not line up with the old steering wheel. Pull/drifting is likely caused by front end camber not matching between the left and right side, doubt that changing steering wheel would cause camber to change.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:30 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
I changed my steering wheel and had no pulling, you might just be more aware now since you swapped the steering wheel. If memory serves me correctly there is only one way to put the wheel on so that all the splines must align be fire the wheel will slide on.
I think it’s not the steering wheel that caused and it was always there.
The following users liked this post:
Etienne Lau (03-24-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 05:18 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
Well, looking at your pic (steering wheel on splines) perhaps you are off center. The splines seem to be 1 spline to far clockwise! Never heard of wheel alignment needed changing a steering wheel, other than a toe adjustment right or left to center things out. Before adjusting the toe, pull your steering wheel and drop it back on 1 spline anti-clockwise.... assuming there is no locked in key setting on the wheel... then you probably need the toe adjusted right or left.
The following users liked this post:
Etienne Lau (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 08:45 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
It looks like it may be off by one spline but don’t think the steering wheel would go on if it was. The thick areas allow only one way one
Old 03-25-2021, 09:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,983 Likes on 3,130 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Changing the steering wheel will not cause the vehicle to pull. @trouble11111111 do you mean that when the car pulls, the steering wheel is straight ahead? Are you able to drive with the vehicle tracking straight, but the steering wheel is slightly cocked?

It could be, and seems likely, that the splines on the aftermarket steering wheel are not made to the same specification as the MB steering wheel.