M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Is it possible to fish cable through center console?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2021 | 10:12 PM

2014 ML 350
Is it possible to fish cable through center console?

As part of android screen installation, I need to run 3 cables (audio aux, 2 usb cables) from the back of COMAND head unit to under armrest space where AMI and USB outlets are located.

My question is, with covers opened on both ends, is it possible to fish wires from the head unit to AMI outlet through center console? Removing center console seems to be a lot of work.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2021 | 10:04 AM

2010 g
Console removal is actually very very easy. Look up the instructiions but I think it's just 4 bolts. Rubber mat in the front compartment (under the climate control unit) is removed and there are 2 TORX screws. Then remove the mat at the very bottom of the console 'bin' (below the armrest) and there are 2 more TORX. Then slide console backwards. There are some connectors to disconnect, but you can probably just lift the console 1/2" and slide your wires underneath.

Also note that the AMI/USB ports are on a panel that can be easily removed by 2 small screws. You can pull your cables into the compartment, then put that panel back on. For example, if you are trying to run a cable to plug into AMI, just pull about 1-2" of cable in then put that cable panel back on. Then plug into AMI. Will only be able to see an AMI cable and tiny bit of cable, and nothing else!

The following users liked this post:
hovr (04-06-2021)
Old 04-07-2021 | 09:35 PM

'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by hovr
As part of android screen installation, I need to run 3 cables (audio aux, 2 usb cables) from the back of COMAND head unit to under armrest space where AMI and USB outlets are located.

My question is, with covers opened on both ends, is it possible to fish wires from the head unit to AMI outlet through center console? Removing center console seems to be a lot of work.

Thanks!
Don't even try fishing wire in a car. you're bound to rip something/tear another harness. As other post said, center console removal takes 5 minutes.
Old 04-08-2021 | 09:12 AM

GL350, Audi A3 TDI, VW Beetle TDI
I have a couple of related questions as I am contemplating either the 9” Android Screen or the RoadTop that retains the OEM screen. My GL350 has an MMI (Multi-Media Interface) and a USB port as original equipment in the armrest.

First, question regards the above acronym “AMI” which I thought was an Audi specific interface. Or is there both an MMI and AMI needed to have full functionality for these add on systems?

Second, if MMI and AMI are different acronyms for the same thing, since I already have an MMI in my armrest, the cabling is already existing from the Command to the armrest. Can this be repurposed to the add on hardware? Or does the existing cabling/interface connection to Command need to be retained and new cabling/interface added for the new hardware?

Mike
Old 04-08-2021 | 09:41 AM

2010 g
I have the AMI connector in the console, but didn't use it. I installed the RoadTop unit and it connects using the existing harness (that was plugged into COMAND). Everything is connected behind the radio, nothing runs to center console. You do need to run a USB for firmware updates, but I left it behind the climate control panel which can be easily popped off if required.

I don't know about the 9" unit, but I installed the RoadTop in about 30 mins. Two screws to remove COMAND and everything just plugs in. You do need to enable AUX mode in the Engineering menu (search here for how). Once that was done, everything just worked including my 360 backup camera. Very happy with the unit.. looks entirely factory and works perfectly. Don't see the appeal of the 9" unit except the larger screen.. when I looked into it a few months ago, it was rare (impossible?) to find someone who's unit worked 'flawlessly' - meaning exactly like factory. Everyone had at least one glitch they were "living with" which I didn't want to do.

Anyhow, nothing to run to console for RoadTop. However if you need to run to the AMI connector, it's probably only a 15 minute job if you have already removed the radio.
Old 04-08-2021 | 10:55 AM

'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by bha1
I have the AMI connector in the console, but didn't use it. I installed the RoadTop unit and it connects using the existing harness (that was plugged into COMAND). Everything is connected behind the radio, nothing runs to center console. You do need to run a USB for firmware updates, but I left it behind the climate control panel which can be easily popped off if required.

I don't know about the 9" unit, but I installed the RoadTop in about 30 mins. Two screws to remove COMAND and everything just plugs in. You do need to enable AUX mode in the Engineering menu (search here for how). Once that was done, everything just worked including my 360 backup camera. Very happy with the unit.. looks entirely factory and works perfectly. Don't see the appeal of the 9" unit except the larger screen.. when I looked into it a few months ago, it was rare (impossible?) to find someone who's unit worked 'flawlessly' - meaning exactly like factory. Everyone had at least one glitch they were "living with" which I didn't want to do.

Anyhow, nothing to run to console for RoadTop. However if you need to run to the AMI connector, it's probably only a 15 minute job if you have already removed the radio.
you need to run the connector to the ami interface if you want sound to work on the android side of the unit if using waze, xm, pandora etc...