M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Panoramic Sunroof Rattle Cracking Sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML550, Previously 2008 ML350 (petrol)
Question Panoramic Sunroof Rattle Cracking Sound

Hey,
I got a "decent" ML550 with about 100k Miles (160k km) about a month ago. I've done the basic stuff like pads, and filters, it still needs some work like double red lights on parktronic, but I will tackle that another day. The one I need to repair as it is actually scaring my toddler children, upsetting the Mrs, and driving me bonkers is the rattle, cracking sound coming from the roof when i back out of the driveway or hit a larger bump.

Questions: Is there a good DIY video for removing the headliner and tightening the sunroof bolts. I have found this one for e350
and this one w204
. Neither video is great, but from what I can glean is that you need to drop the headliner, remove the bolts, and put some locktite / thread locker on them and then put the roof back on.

Question: Is there a good video or does someone have the instructions for dropping the headliner for the 166?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
I couldn't find anything useful on the 166. I do wish you luck if you proceed, I had to do this on my old W211, and what a pain & process it was. No creeks on my W166 pano..yet...
Old 05-23-2023, 02:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
‘15 ML 350 Blue Tec
Originally Posted by BirdinThecircle
Hey,
I got a "decent" ML550 with about 100k Miles (160k km) about a month ago. I've done the basic stuff like pads, and filters, it still needs some work like double red lights on parktronic, but I will tackle that another day. The one I need to repair as it is actually scaring my toddler children, upsetting the Mrs, and driving me bonkers is the rattle, cracking sound coming from the roof when i back out of the driveway or hit a larger bump.

Questions: Is there a good DIY video for removing the headliner and tightening the sunroof bolts. I have found this one for e350 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bstJIXYNnzg and this one w204 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQef-u6x3cs&t=482s. Neither video is great, but from what I can glean is that you need to drop the headliner, remove the bolts, and put some locktite / thread locker on them and then put the roof back on.

Question: Is there a good video or does someone have the instructions for dropping the headliner for the 166?

Any help is very much appreciated.
I’m hearing a crack over certain bumps. I did tighten the panoramic sunroof bolts (they were loose) and also added blue loc tite. But the sound is still there